Loose buttons on HRAP2, causes & solutions?

I recently scored an HRAP2. As soon as I opened it I noticed the buttons were loose and twisted and sliding all over the place. Why is this?

They are snap ins with quick disconnects. At this point I am assuming they are stock buttons that came with the stick.

Some players are very rough with their arcade sticks, and tend to use “flailing” tactics where they slide their entire hand across the button array to pull off certain multi button combos. Could this excessive play cause the buttons to be so loose?

I mean they are really really loose. I need to replace them that is for certain. So would screw ins alleviate the possibility of this happening again? If I buy another set of snap ins are they going to eventually have this problem even with my relaxed methodical play?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all.

-Ben

if the buttons still work and you want to keep it, then just use some electrical/duct tape or a thick strong rubber band around the button

if not screw ins should work, but they also come loose sometimes w/ a metal panel, but you can just re-tighten if you need to

The stock buttons in my HRAP3 were the same way when it was brand new, they were very loose and there was too much tolerance between the button and top plate causing the buttons to twist, turn, and slide. I don’t think its wear on the buttons that causes it to be so loose, as my Hori buttons were the same way when I first opened my HRAP3 up.

I replaced the stock buttons with snap-in Sanwas and they are flush against the top plate, and have a much tighter fit.

They are stock hori buttons, they have little slots on the side where metal tabs are supposed to secure them. Like the T5/fs3 tabs you have to grind when modding. So without the tabs they are loose. Electrical tape will fix it until you throw some quality arcade parts in. Remember, if you go sanwa get the snap ins, the screw ins will require filing on some of the nuts

Thanks for the confirmation that it is possible for these to ship from the factory with loose buttons. One of the buttons was even so loose that it was halfway popping back out of the panel. I don’t know how any sane arcade enthusiast could tollerate this.

Yea before I tried the rubberband and electrical tape, and they would still move ever so slightly. I want this thing to feel nice and solid.

Luckily, I had 6 Sanwa OBSN-30 screw ins that were in a bag of NAOMI parts from a past ebay purchase. I plan to order some Seimitsu buttons off Lizard Lick, but I really want to start using this thing now while I wait for more parts to come in. So I started installing the Sanwa screw ins I have.

Only one of the buttons will require filing and that is of course for the X button. All of the others, while they are a close fit, can be installed by simply holding the nut in place while screwing in the button itself. It is a close fit, but they have been screwing in just fine this way.

I have a dremmel, so I plan to modify the X button’s nut to fit near the mounting plate.

Just to reconfirm, will Sanwa or Seimitsu snap ins fit 100% snug? or will those slide slightly also?

Unless you want to wait 2-4 weeks for your order, you better off ordering from gamingnow.net

Snap in will fit perfectly too.

T5 and similar panels had the notch; HRAPs dont.

OP, get snap ins. You have a metal control panel, so snap ints is totally the way to go. Totally your call on Seimitsu vs Sanwa, but snap ins for a metal panel are the recommended way to go.

i know, letting him know why they werent secured

D’oh and I fail mid-class reading comprehension. :frowning:

lol, i had to defend my honor… :sweat:

I ended up getting those 6 Sanwa screw ins installed on the HRAP2, and then I firmly taped down the 2 HORI buttons with electrical tape. It is good to go, and I can now buy more buttons at my own liesure.

Getting a screw in to work for the X button on the HRAP2 is super easy. All you need is a dremmel so you can cut a notch out of the nut. Slide the nut into position, and then screw in the button from the opposite end.