Losing Connection during mid match, Router questions

His router was set to Auto, so it would have run the wireless radio at the fastest setting that the slowest connected device on his network could handle. Considering that the PS3 I think only supports b/g, his router would have automatically been throttled down to G speeds. That said, the only way he would be able to take advantage of N speeds on his router would probably be to setup a client bridge that his PS3 hardwires to, then have that connect to his AP at N speeds. That would also help minimize congesting your wireless networking if you have multiple gaming devices as you can hardwire every console to the same client bridge.

still having the same issues even with the wireless-G. Crime_in_Partner offered to look at my settings himself by remoting my computer (ill reboot the router beforehand) but if anyone else would like to do so please send a pm

That’s soooooort of right. If you’ve got an old device somewhere that only supports 802.11b, you ‘might’ have a drop in performance, depending on the router. More likely than not, it’ll be happily running just fine at G rates, with the router gobbling up to 9 channels worth of bandwidth (in 300 mode). Most N routers are still only on the 2.4Ghz bandwidth, and increase speed by taking more of the avaliable spectrum. This causes more issues, since if you have other people with wireless in your area, you’re in the middle of a shouting match.

The fact that you’re still struggling to get a good match when using ethernet is the real killer - you should definately try a new router and make sure. You can always borrow someone else’s - take a backup of the config before you start, then restore after.

If only, B15 - there are ratings that confirm how good the quality of the wire in your cable is - in the last 10 years, almost every reputable cable you’ll have been able to buy will be Cat 5 or more likely, Cat 5e, which is ratified up to 1Gbps at a distance of up to 100m, but I’ve seen runs of up to 300m with little or no drop in signal. The next level up is Cat 6, but they’re shielded cables - however, most new installs are done with it for ‘future proofing’ - Germany however has already moved up to Cat 7 installs, where each strand is shielded.

Ahem. Sorry for the aside there!

Like Kali said - check the firmware first, and see if you can disconnect everyone else while you do a few tests - if your (potentially non existent) brother is busy downloading torrents, you’re never going to get a gdlk connection.

I worked with Ace a while tweaking his router and, after we were done, he said that if anything, his connection seemed worse.

I helped him install the latest stable release of DD WRT on his WRT54GL. I also slightly increased his broadcast based on my past experiences using the WRT54Gs. We also did the site survey and changed the wireless to be on the least congested channel. I also setup port forwarding, using the same ports that I have setup for my PS3 which I have no problems with. (3658 and 5223 for both TCP and UDP). Since his router has external antennae, I also had him adjust the antennae so they are perpendicular with where the PS3 is located, as those antennae are omnidirectional.

A little bit more about Shadow Ace’s setup, his router uses PPPoE connection to his ISP (ATT) and, doing speed tests on his desktop which was connected wirelessly to the router, I was getting speed test ratings of 1.6 Mbps down and about .5 Mbps up. I was thinking about setting up traffic shaping to throttle his internet speed down slightly on the wireless connection so if Ace had a spike, he would have bandwidth available to accommodate it, and not drop packets, but his bandwidth is kind of low so I don’t really know if I want to be doing that.

Shadow Ace, when you get a chance, can you let me know what your wireless packet info looks like on your router ( transmit receive, the number of packets sent, and the number of errors). This can be found in the DD WRT menu by clicking the Status tab, then clicking the Wireless sub tab. In addition, at the bottom of that page, if shows the active wireless connections to your router and displays the signal strength. What’s the signal, noise, and SNR (signal to noise ratio) say about the PS3 connection? If you also happen to have a long enough network cable to hardwire the PS3 to your router, that would also help determine what is causing the problem.

If anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears. At this point, I suspect it’s either an issue with the strength of the wireless connection of the PS3, or something with his ISP.

try putting tomato on it instead, i prefer it much more than dd-wrt

though im starting to think it might be the isp. Does he know how far he is from the att building? or have you tried setting up QoS rules to help not interrupt the connection?

I highly doubt att is concerned with whether or not a I can play a video game online, just as long as I can connect to the internet just fine

deadlock service…smh…

anywho ill answer the questions crime_in_partner probably tomorrow, just wanted to post saying I saw your message