Lost.....

I know there are posts and stickies pertaining to new players but some of them are overwhelming when starting out like frame data ect.

Now I’ve played sf4 in the past but only messed around did some of the challenges ect.

I am going to continue to play Adon just because I find him fun.

But where the hell do I start? Do I just keep going through his challenges and remember the combos from that? Should I be reading on frame data? Should I be playing online?

My goal would be to have a ‘plan’ per week/month whatever on learning something.

What to do?

Thanks

Get in the lab and learn what does what, Once you get a feel of what button does what find scenarios where you would use that button like a ‘‘go to’’ anti air, reversal, for spacing etc… then find what moves you can cancel out of. It’s a process but if you wanna learn a character you should know what attack is faster then the other, You dont need frame data for that just mess around with it.

First just mess around with your character enough that you are mechanically comfortable with controlling him, make sure you can do all of his individual moves very quickly so in the future there is no delay between recognizing you need something to come out and it actually coming out.

Then swing over to your character’s specific subforum and learn:
-Your anti-airs (attacks to stop people who jump at you)
-A punish combo (a damaging combo that you use when your opponent is very clearly unable to defend himself, such as after a blocked DP. It doesn’t have to be optimal or super hard, but it should be enough to scare your opponent)
-Your character’s best pokes (moves that are relatively fast for the range they have and can be used to control the space in front of you in a similar way to how anti-airs control what is above you.

Then just play against other people, play until you can’t win at all (even if that happens right away) then come back with what you think you’re having trouble with.

Do not try the combos from the trials, they are mostly useless.
Frame data helps but it’s not the thing you want to look at first, imo. Although if you want to you can.

For someone starting out, what might be best is to get down two combos.

1. The basic bnb hitconfirm. The purpose is to get out a combo that has fast start up and is relatively reliable and easy to perform, as well as having multiple button presses so you can “hit confirm”, or know that you are actually hitting your opponent and they’re not blocking your attacks. You want to know this because these combos end in a highly damaging move, but that move is also likely highly unsafe if blocked. I don’t know much of anything about Adon, but looking at the frame data a basic one for you looks like crouching jab, crouching jab, crouching jab, cancelled into a rising jaguar. The Adon Forums will probably help more, so be sure to check the combo thread out for your and ask around there too.

2. Your easy big damage combo. Basically when someone messes up big time you use this to punish. Again, don’t know Adon, so this might be best found in the combo thread for the Adon forum. These combos are usually only like, two to three button button presses, they’re probably just going to be something like crouching medium kick into rising jaguar.

You want to get both of these down so you can do them easily, in a real match. Practice in the training room until you feel reasonably confident, before going into a match. I’m going to assume you’ll start online first. Once you’re there, don’t take it too seriously and just play and learn and apply the combos you learned before. As you play you’ll lose a lot. Watch your replays, use those losses to pinpoint areas you’re weak at, and you’ll have an understanding of what areas to focus on and what to put as your weekly training plan that you want to make.

Thanks for the help guys. Seems obvious to start with things you have mentioned. I guess I was just in an overwhelmed fog lol.

See the link in my sig. Airdash Academy Ep.1 and the James Chen videos linked up top help establish a proper mindset for learning.