Lots of words and a few questions (SSFIV Newbie Deluxe Edition)

Let me debrief you guys on how much of a scrub I am real quick. The only fighting games I’ve ever played were at arcades as a kid over a decade ago, where I thought mashing buttons faster than the other guy was what determined the outcome of a match.

Short story made shorter, I bought the game and I’m looking to improve. I mean, I really want to get into it, but I have no idea where to start, and find myself just pressing a lot of buttons and hoping something cool happens. I’m looking for some pointers on that, if any exist. Anything in general would be nice, and I plan on maining Ibuki (yeah, I’m -that- guy who chooses his main based on how sexy the character model is).

Also, any thoughts on the MC FightPad? It has to be a significant improvement over the 360’s standard dpad, which is perhaps the most unresponsive, clunky piece of shit I’ve ever had the misfortune of using. I’m not interested in a stick, just a dpad that is actually usable.

Did anyone make it to this part? As a finisher, I’m looking for other newbies to practice with, or even experienced players if they’re really bored or have a Sensei complex (I’ll really call you Sensei if you want), just leave your GT somewhere. Thanks for reading! :looney:

Check out the total beginners guide from TBird, everyone seems to rate it;

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

I would suggest you select a few characters in the cast initially. Play through some of the trials to get a handle on some of their moves. Then go offline/online with friends or against the cpu with those characters and see who you most enjoy playing with.

You’ll need to learn some basic combos, zoning, footsies etc (covered in those video guides i believe) but that will come over time. Once you have settled on a character I’d check out their specific forum and have a look at some combos and perhaps a video or two to see what’s possible with your chosen character.

I wouldn’t really recommend Ibuki to someone starting out, she has low life so she goes down easy (pun intended) and she can have a relatively high execution barrier to use properly. It’s up to you at the end of the day though.

Pad players who’ve tried it all seem to recommend the fightpad, from what I’ve seen.

Whereabouts are you from? If you’re in Europe and we can get a decent connection, add Jeemer. I can try and give you a few pointers if you like.

Amen… (Bolded part)

Well, Im getting better and I was once in the EXACT position you are. Maybye I still am - Im not sure. But my GT is Th3 Ru55ian Man if your interested.

As for the fightpad, I was considering getting it, but im now focused on the Standard Fightstick. It’s only about $15 more (Amazon) and I think it’s a good investment. If your truly in love with the D-PAD (Currently what im using and still whooping ass…) then get it. Make sure it’s not used though, those things only have a 3 year life span.

If you have a mic, I can talk you over XBL. Hit me up if you can.

The OP of this thread seems to be asking similar questions. Lots of good info there.

RE Madcatz Fightpad: It’s much better for fighting games than the standard 360 pad, but reportedly prone to defects over time. I have one, but haven’t really put it through the paces since I got a Fightstick.

I wasn’t expecting such quick replies, you guys are great. Thanks :lovin:

I had no idea that character hit points differed, that’s kind of intimidating. I’m pretty dead set on Ibuki, but I did find myself doing several times better on Ryu, so I’ll definitely rotate a bit until I can actually put up a fight with her. Unfortunately I’m US West, so our lag would be pretty miserable. I’ll check out that thread though, thanks!

I may consider a stick down the road, but for now I’d rather keep it simple. I’ll add you next time I’m on, where are you from btw?

Awesome, I’ll check out that thread. I heard the same, keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Im from Houston Texas - Not many SSFIV players here, or tournaments in general - but I get around with my friends playing.

Damn. You’re in the right geographical area for good practice matches, but you’re on XBL.

Instead I’ll impart my experience through trial and error on you.
Jumping looks fun. But don’t do it. At least not much. You stand to eat anti-airs by the truckload if you jump too much.
Get very familiar with Focus. Focus attacks, Focus Attack Dash Cancel (back or forward). Focus Canceling. Read up on it and, once you’ve found a character you like, experiment with Focus using that character.

Apply that to your game.

Also… don’t get too worked up looking up stuff on Shoryuken.com.
A lot of “good” players here are also “bad” about being condescending.
Aside from character/game introduction videos (the stuff you watch to grasp the character), don’t kill yourself trying to mimic "that really awesome combo video."
You’ll just get frustrated.

If you find the game isn’t “fun” for you at any point, put it down and play something else for a bit.
You won’t get any better while you’re frustrated. Just change the pace a bit and come back later.

I’m considering getting the PS3 version also, depending on how the FightPad works out for me, since I’m in love with the DS3’s directional pad. I’ll let you know if I do. And yes, I really need to glue my damn feet to the ground. I jump way too much.

Another question here. I’m pretty confused as to what I should start learning first. I find myself sitting in training mode learning a few easy tricks, but trying to apply them in an actual match is next to impossible for me. Should I just stop trying too hard and keep running in blindly over the next few weeks to see what I learn naturally, or does that just not work on this type of game?

Also, while I plan on maining Ibuki, I’m thinking that an easier character to learn the basics would be nice. I seem to be having the easiest time with Ryu-type characters, but would they help me learn the game, or only how to spam fireballs and DPs? :wgrin:

One of Ibuki’s biggest strengths is her target combos. If you’re gonna main her, target combos will have to become second nature. She’ll take lots of work to become formidable with.

Ryu and the other shotos will help you learn the game’s fundamentals. Some would argue that they’re a must for beginners. Even if you spam fireballs and DPs, you’ll eventually learn that it doesn’t always pay off.

Whoever you decide on, make sure your blocking and defensive tactics are solid. No sense in having a fantastic offense if you’re taking too much damage to ever put it to use.

Let me be blunt, I wouldn’t go for maining Ibuki right off the bat judging on the questions you’re asking. She has a high execution learning curve and in my opinion, you need to have a solid grasp on the game to really play her efficiently. I say this to all my friends who wanna start playing, ryu ryu ryu. Ryu has all the moves to learn the basics. Pokes, anti air, and a projectile.

If you start with him and actually LEARN how to use everything and not just like you said “spam fireballs and dp”, you will have a good grasp on the game and can then move onto other fighters that have more/less strengths or weaknesses in those areas. Skipping by this though will most often crutch you for a while and generally slows down the learning process. Remember, you have to crawl before you can walk…

Thanks, that’s just what I needed to hear. I’ll give Ryu a serious shot then and see how I progress.

But mark my words, I will return to my little Ibuki. :pray:

Find an easy Trials combo for your character. One that isn’t too big a pain to pull off. My example is Dee Jay’s c.lp, c.lp, c.mp, EX Machine Gun Upper.
Apply that to your online/versus game for a bit till you get a better idea of timing and execution mid-match.
The rest is trial and error in this case. Running in blind will open you up to new possibilities. You’d be amazed how much you learn when the pressure is on and you’re already fluent in at least one combo.

As someone already pointed out, you’ll learn pretty quick that good players don’t fall for those shenanigans often. My advice to you for learning the ropes is to take one shoto-type (kens, Ryus, etc.), and one charge character. Feel them out. Learn their subtle quirks, like that charging a move with a charge character is actually less than one full second.

Then throw in one extra character for good measure. Like your Ibuki. Compare and strategize. Rinse and repeat.