Macro's?

I remember in the SNES era there were arcade sticks you could record moves to set them as buttons. Like having a shoryuken at the touch of a button and that sort of thing. Is there a way to add this to a existing joystick? I’m not trying to gain some sort of competitive advantage, so please don’t flame me about that, I’m very capable of performing the actions myself no problem, but it does have some nice uses.

Yeah ok? Here’s a stick that actually has those macros.
XCM Dominator Joystick for Playstation 3 / PS3
http://www.extreme-mods.com/XCM-Dominator-Joystick-Playstation-3-p/ps3-xcmdominatorjoystick.htm

Friends dont let friends drink and macro :sad:

I’m more curious if it is possible to add it to an existing one.

There’s a good chance the nobody is going to help you out with this. Including me…

Well, that’s fair, really don’t care about the moral aspect, more of the technical, guess I’ll find out in other area’s. If I find anything, I’ll be sure to post my findings.

This helped immensely:

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=17385.0

I figured it would involve using a PIC chip.

Wow, one post asking for the technical aspect of it and I get -reputation everywhere. Seriously, grow up guys. If my intentions were to be cheating in online fighting games, I could just as easily just setup joy2key and use AutoHotkey.

If you must know, I do a lot of TASing video’s (more information at tasvideos.org):

Super Turrican:

[media=youtube]XQFIdEXOgug&feature=channel_page[/media]

Super Turrican 2:

[media=youtube]2L-neTVNL8Y&feature=channel_page[/media]

With others in the works.

These are all done on emulators, but I’d be interested in converting the input files from the emulators to the actual consoles to see if this truly would work as emulation isn’t perfect. I guess I understand the defensiveness on a board focused on fighting games but that’s not my intention, as I said earlier it’s extremely easy to cheat on say GGPO if I wanted to but I’m more interested in older systems which is why I’m asking for the know how on installing such a system and not purchasing one so I can get some sort of stupid edge on next gen online fighting.

I’m glad everyone here acts immature to a legitimate question by bothering to post that they won’t be posting, real constructive. Thanks for the -rep and no idea why I’m getting it.

This is really cool. I’ve never heard of anything like this. Thanks for the info.

I would +rep if I could :frowning:

Yea well, some people are just really ignorant and can only assume one thing when you ask for anything. Real mature :lame:

I haven’t really found anything specific except on the 360 so far. I’m looking for anything that has opened any one of the guts of these special types and explains how they were done but nothing so far.

We’ve discussed the matter once before over at at www.tasvideos.org:

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4288&highlight=

It really didn’t go anywhere however =/.

There are programmable sticks/pads made by ASCII for Playstation, but they’re quite rare. You’ll see them come by the trading outlet occasionally.

That was a quite solid speed run I must say also! Props

Well, I’m trying to avoid the route of purchasing one just to gut it and transplant it to a TG16 or SNES controller some how, but things aren’t looking too great and it may come to that =/.

I repped you after watching those speed runs… I suspect that you might be some kind of ninja.

well, after readong more closely, your tool assistant is a ninja.

Lovely -14 :). I’m feeling warm and fuzzy now…

It’s totally possible, but the easiest way would require a microcontroller.
You could either find a common ground pad for the system you want to connect to, then connect the button/dpad signal inputs on the pad to the outputs on the microcontroller, and then change the status every 1/60th of a second. I know CodyK has done this with an Arduino and a common ground 360 pad for testing complex virtua fighter 5 stuff out.

If you’re talking about older systems like the SNES, the protocol is so simple you could implement it directly in the microcontroller and just connect an SNES extension cable to it. It would give you more precise control since you’d know exactly when to move the pointer to the next frame’s information because there is a latch command to start transferring data every frame.

But, there doesn’t (yet) exist a a simple plug and play way to do it. You will have to knuckle down and figure out how to code it yourself, and there will be lots of programming. The bright side is that there are folks who have already (I think) done SNES control via an Arduino, so getting up to speed shouldn’t be too hard. Look up some beginner Arduino stuff and get cracking.

Thanks, finally an informative post. I’m in luck because I do program in C++, C# and VB.net. So the programming aspect isn’t the difficult portion, I’ve never actually used a PIC programmer but I’m assuming they use x86 assembly if not I doubt it’s anything I couldn’t figure out. I’ll be sure to start searching on that Arduino hacks and see what I can come up with. Thank you for the reply.

And so it begins:

http://www.rahji.com/wordpress/2007/09/21/nespad/

It’s pretty damn far from x86 assembly :rofl:
Closer to MIPS assembly, but the arduino stuff is just C with some macros, with gcc doing all of the compilation. Just stick with C and the arduino. I doubt there’d be any need to use assembly at all.

I was just going to say you should ask Toodles, so there you go.

I feel a little bad about giving you neg rep originally now. I was kind of on auto-drive for anyone with a Feb 2009 join date.

I had never heard of a tool-assisted run before. But it’s interesting. I’m surprised there’s not someone out there doing the same thing for stuff like Guitar Hero, DDR, etc. and completely destroying the online leaderboards.

wow macros have not use one those in years …

You should go to church and ask for forgiveness

LuckyDay: “Forgive me father, for I have sinned.”

Priest: “SHORYUKEN

:rofl:

It’s all good, got the info I needed. I’m really hoping I can find someone whose done this to a Turbo Duo pad. (God I love that system, so many great schmups.)

Pasky : get use to the naysayers!
Here is a link to code for controlling an Xbox 360 common ground controller with an Arduino
for Virtua Fighter 5 that Toodles was talking about. http://code.google.com/p/vf-inputs/source/browse/#svn/trunk%3Fstate%3Dclosed
Arduino Hardware http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila