As many probably already knows, the MAME emulators have a slider setting to modify the emulated CPU speed. Now, this feature is very handy in games like Last Blade 2, Garou, and Real Bout 2. Games that all suffer from slowdowns on heavy stages and in heavy special effect combos.
Well, I tested this out in netplay once, and found that it works there as well. Here I will write a small guide on how to remove the emulated game slowdowns when playing over the net. This is all very simple, but all might not know how.
I have tested this for MAME32 0.64 running P2P Kaillera and also on regular Kaillera server-based play, and it works fine on both.
- Start up the game with your friend/adversary/rival/enemy.
- Once the game loads, press the key to the left of the number “1” on your keyboard.
- A volume controller will appear. Use the up and down arrow keys to switch to different controllers until you reach the ones named “Overclock CPU0” & “Overclock CPU1”
- Use the left and right arrow keys to modify the value to the desired value. You only need to modify CPU0, but I usually modify both in order to avoid confusion. (People keep adjusting the wrong one, causing desyncs :p) 125% should be enough for most situations, but I usually boost it to 200% to be safe and against to avoid confusion.
- Now, you have to tell your opponent to do the same, otherwise the game will desync at a point where the game would slow down without the overclocking, like in a heavy combo.
- After both players have set the same sliders to the same values, reset the game with F3 to be on the safe side, then play.