Man Vatican.

You had the GREATEST opportunity to prank the world…

Seriously though - he should have people surfed, that crowd is HUGE.

i just wanna know how the crazy racists in the south are taking this. lol.

The south is mostly protestant.

Places with a strong French or Spanish history (such as New Orleans, Florida, or Texas) have more Catholics, but overall, I doubt many people in the south care.

I’m tired of all of these old men becoming pope.
When are we going to have a virtual idol pope?

I think racist southerners probably harbor prejudice towards catholics too

arent they stereotypically “proud white christians?”

Yes, they’re exactly that. That’s why they hate Catholics or anyone different from them.

thought catholics were connected to christians

I don’t claim to know all the details, but they’re basically a subset of Christians in the sense that they believe in Jesus as savior and stuff. I don’t think other Christians share their Virgin Mary and blood drinking (not real blood) fetishes.

I believe the Southern white Christians under discussion view Catholics as greasy poor ethnic people, basically.

catholics and protestants share the same umbrella when its convenient politically

similar beliefs of course but every desert religion has similar beliefs

im surprised they picked such an old timer since ratty was so fuckin old himself. I was reading they were going to try for someone a bit younger who could hold the office longer. maybe they picked an old South American so they could seem progressive, but not suffer him that long before replacing him with a good ol white guy again lol

my first thought of them picking him was to seem progressive and try to umbrella all the hispanics/south americans all together

I preferred BasedPope

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/63053_351611538277653_1527748714_n.png

UltraDavid is right LOL

David Philip Graham ‏@ultradavid
Lol the new Pope tweeted right after he became the new Pope, and his tweet was basically “super happy to be the new Pope!” This is hilarious

Jorge M Bergoglio ‏@JMBergoglio
Inmensamente feliz de ser el nuevo Papa, Francisco I

I wonder if there’s a minimum age requirement. It must have to do with the old belief that being old = wise. Do you think a twenty or thirty-something Pope would be taken seriously?

With the rapid growth of the second Ku Klux Klan (KKK) 1921–25, anti-Catholic rhetoric intensified. The Catholic Church of the Little Flower was first built in 1925 in Royal Oak, Michigan, a largely Protestant area. Two weeks after it opened, the Ku Klux Klan burned a cross in front of the church.[23]

In Alabama Hugo Black was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1926 having built a political base in part through 148 speeches at local Klan gatherings, where his focus was the denunciation of Catholicism.[24] Ball characterizes Black as having “sympathized with the [Klan’s] economic, nativist, and anti-Catholic beliefs.”[25] As a Supreme Court justice, Black has been accused of letting his anti-Catholic bias influence key decisions regarding the separation of church and state. For example, Christianity Today editorialized that, “Black’s advocacy of church-state separation, in turn, found its roots in the fierce anti-Catholicism of the Masons and the Ku Klux Klan (Black was a Kladd of the Klavern, or an initiator of new members, in his home state of Alabama in the early 1920s).”[26] A leading Constitutional scholar,[27] Professor Philip Hamburger of Columbia University Law School, has strongly called into question Black’s integrity on the church-state issue because of his close ties to the KKK. Hamburger argues that his views on the need for separation of Church and State were deeply tainted by his membership in the Ku Klux Klan, a vehemently anti-Catholic organization.

TL;DR- stop being a racist and thinking all White people are the same, maxx.

there was also a time when catholics were stereotypically democrats! oh how times have changed

I had to turn off Telemundo because the guy was yelling: “POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPEEEEEE” over and over.

Christianity died in the same era when cargo pants were popular

R.I.P. Christianity, 1952-1998

^True. Saw it, heard it, gave no fucks.

-Starhammer-

Yeah, but not the Catholic kind. As many churches as there are down here they’re pretty much Protestant, Presbyterian, Baptist, ect. In fact I don’t recall seeing a Catholic church in my area. Not that I’ve really paid attention.

Good pick on the South American dude though. Carnival with the Pope? I’m there.