[Mar 23, 2012] MLG Winter Championship (MK9, SC V, KoF 13:) Columbus (Columbus, OH)

http://wordpress.tools.majorleaguegaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fightinggames-54.jpg

2012 Winter Championship!

This tournament is open to everybody! The Player who wins the Championship Bracket will be crowned the 2012 Winter Champion.

Passes are now available for Mortal Kombat 9, Soul Calibur V, and King of Fighters XIII. You may play in all Fighting Game tournaments if you wish. To purchase your pass(es), go HERE.

A pass for any game on its own is $50 ($40 with the Gold Member discount)
A pass for any two games is $70 ($60 with the Gold discount)
A pass for all three games is $90 ($80 with the Gold discount)

You may play in all Fighting Game tournaments if you wish. To purchase your pass(es), go HERE.

Spectator Passes for MLG Columbus are now available for purchase in the MLG Store
http://store.majorleaguegaming.com/assets/products/1626/product/Winter%202011.jpeg?1328039651

The MLG Columbus event will take place March 23-25

As always, please feel free to ask any questions regarding the event, and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Please keep in mind that there are still details to be released, so if the information is not below, it’s likely not available yet.

Venue:

[details=Spoiler]Venue/Tournament Location: Greater Columbus Convention Center: 400 N. High Street; Columbus, OH 43215
[/details]
**Hotel Locations: **

Spoiler

Westin Columbus
[LIST]
[]Reservations: 614-228-3800
[
]Hotel Rate: 129 + $16.75 tax s/d
[]Reservation deadline: March 9, 2012
[
]Distance to venue: 7 blocks
[]Parking: $20 per night
[/LIST]
Red Roof Columbus Downtown
[LIST]
[
]Reservations: 800-733-7663
[]Hotel Rate: $115+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q for 2 beds
[
]Reservation deadline: March 9, 2012
[]Distance to venue: 1 block
[/LIST]
Residence Inn Columbus Downtown
[LIST]
[
]Reservations: 800-331-3131
[]Hotel Rate: $139+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q
[
]Reservation deadline: March 7, 2012
[]Distance to venue: 4 blocks
[/LIST]
Sheraton On Capitol Square (formally Hyatt)
[LIST]
[
]Reservations: 800-331-3131
[]Hotel Rate: $139+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q
[
]Reservation deadline: March 7, 2012
[*]Distance to venue: 4 blocks
[/LIST]
It is not mandatory to stay in these hotels. If you’d like to do a price comparison to find the cheapest hotel, I would suggest to use Google Search, using the address of the Greater Columbus Convention Centerwhich is 400 N. High Street; Columbus, OH 43215 to find the hotels closest to the venue.

Transportation:

[details=Spoiler] Transportation:

Airport:
[LIST]
[]Port of Columbus Airport (CMH)
[/LIST]
Transportation Cost from Airport:
[LIST]
[
]ARCH TRANSPORTATION (614-252-2277) runs 7am-midnight daily. Airport: $17.00 per person each way. Individual pickup times can be scheduled by calling them directly, reservations recommended.
[*]Cab fare is $20-25 each way.
[/LIST]
[/details]
Rules

Spoiler

All rules can be found below.

Mortal Kombat 9
Soul Calibur V
King of Fighters XIII

Prizes

Spoiler

$33,400 is on the line for Mortal Kombat 9 at the Winter Championship.
1st Place: $12,000
2nd Place: $7,200
3rd Place: $4,800
4th Place: $3,200
5th/6th Place: $2,000
7th/8th Place: $1,100

$16,700 is on the line for Soul Calibur V and King of Fighters XIII at the Winter Championship.
1st = $6,000
2nd = $3,600
3rd = $2,400
4th = $1,600
5th/6th = $1,000
7th/8th = $550

Schedule

[details=Spoiler]
You can compete in all three games

Mortal Kombat 9 Schedule
Soul Calibur V Schedule
King of Fighters XIII Schedule

**All times are subject to change based upon the number of registered Players/Teams.*[/details]

The player passes are now available. Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the event, and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Please keep in mind that there are still details to be released, so if the information is not above, it’s likely not available yet.

The Mortal Kombat 9 prizing has been increased to 33,400!

$33,400 is on the line for Mortal Kombat 9 at the Winter Championship.
1st Place: $12,000
2nd Place: $7,200
3rd Place: $4,800
4th Place: $3,200
5th/6th Place: $2,000
7th/8th Place: $1,100

What are the rules for each game?

MK9: http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/30#event_88_rules
SCV: http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/30#event_89_rules
KoF: http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/30#event_90_rules

Why would a match be expanded to a Best of 11? It’s not just 2/3 until grand finals?

The matches are best of 5, and because this is a Double Elimination bracket, players may play each other twice, before the Finals, which is why there is a possibility of a match being expanded to a best of 11 before the Finals.

I am one who confused with this ruling. The best out of 11 is based off just in case players do happen to face off again down the road? Unfortunately that does happen and it’s part of the norm, especially when it double elim.

Still don’t understand or see why this particular ruling comes into play.

Any other TO’s please chime in and see if we can get a clear understanding on this.

Sidenote: MCZ/DMG Juicebox will be attending for KOF13!

Oh it’s the continuation rule. Yea you guys should REALLY get rid of that, it shouldn’t apply for fighting games. If there’s ever a case of double jeopardy somewhere down the road, just change the player’s position. Eventually, someone is going to have to play someone else again somewhere down the line. There’s like an 80% chance of it happening. But to make the first winner only need to win another 3 times is REALLY unfair to the first loser. It’s a different match, no sense in making it the same match continued.

Now that makes sense. I agree with Johnny, that rule shouldn’t be applied for fighting games because of the chances of players facing each other again is very high.

The rule itself has no room in fighting games and it will just turn off a lot of players because it is something they aren’t use to.

And if it is a double jeopardy say in like Top 8, then you really have to just play it out at that point. That’s a little too late to float a player. Top 32 is even risky.

mlg has been doing this for years

Doesn’t make it a good idea. I’ve yet to hear one good reason why two distinct sets should ever be treated as one extended set.

People smoke cigarettes their whole lives, doesn’t make it a good idea.

was a good idea for me… anyway i’m still going to MLG regardless. thanks for picking up KOF XIII.

can you post hotel info around the venue plz?

Please see the opening post. If those hotels are sold out (those are the ones with the special MLG Rates), then you can use the Venue Address (400 N. High Street
Columbus, OH, 43215) to search on Google for other area hotels.

If you missed purchasing your player pass online, you can purchase your player pass at the door (first come, first serve basis) (please make sure to have cash with you to pay for the pass and a MLG Username) between these hours:

MK9: Friday 10:30 AM to 10 PM and Saturday 8 AM to 2 PM
SCV: Friday 10:30 AM to 10 PM
KOF XIII: Friday 10:30 AM to 4 PM

The full player lists can be found here:

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/full-soul-calibur-v-winter-championship-roster/
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/full-king-of-fighters-xiii-winter-championship-roster/
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/full-mortal-kombat-winter-championship-roster/

Asked this on MLG as well; planned to attend for KOF XIII. I bought a spectator pass, but am considering competing with the attendance now being a bit smaller. Problem is I can’t arrive at the Convention Center before 4 in order to register for competition in person, but I will be able to make it there before the 5:30 start. So I guess my question is, is it possible to upgrade from spectator to competition before Friday without being directly there? Thanks