MAS modification...

I bought a MAS a little more than 5-6 years ago (I say this because I have no clue if they changed their hardware within this time thus making what I ask time dependant), and I wanted to know if I could add support for a PS2 output by just cutting the cord near the base of the PS2/1 controller and soldering the wires to the PCB within the box. I see where the connections go on the board, but I’m not sure if I can just cut the wire and try to do it myself.

Originally I just ordered a DC output, but since the DC is all but dead and it’s hard to find converters I’d like to add a PS2 cord to get a little more use out of it.

You’re probably not going to be able to do that. I assume that they use different pcbs for the different option sticks they make.

You’re best bet would be to rip the pcb out and get a psx pcb put in there. Their wiring sucks major balls so you’re going to have to replace all of the cherry switches as well. I personally don’t like it when solder is used for cherry swithes because of the pain of desoldering the wire and resoldering it back on the new switch.

The psx mod is pretty straightforward and very simple even if you haven’t done it before. If you don’t feel like you would be able to do it just ask in the Trading Outlet if someone can do it for you. Remember Happ switches use .187 quickdisconnects.

The Total Control Plus is the second best converter for the dreamcast. I have two and they are lag free. You could get them off of Ebay for around 20-30 bucks.

I’ll see if I can post a picture up, but from what it looks like they had/have an all-in-one PCB. It shows the DC solder points with the wires in it and the solder points for the N64 and PSX but there is nothing soldered there.

EDIT: Ok I just looked at it again, it’s one PCB, but only a DC chip is in the PCB and the N64/PSX/PC chip slots are empty. Is it possible to get the chip out of one of the controllers then solder the points on their pcb or is this something that they make for their pcb’s only?

Now that I think about it, the converter would most likely be the easiest. Thank you.