Memoirs of an Assassin, my thoughts, my thread, my junk

gen

since basically this thread is dead I can go ahead and paste as I wish lol. basically documenting anything that comes to my mind

Things to consider before a match

Where do I have the advantage?

Before a match starts you should answer this crucial question.
Where is my character most effective? is it mid range? is it in the corner?
does my character have a great anti air tool? can I anti air effectively.

now the answer to this question will vary according to your opponent. for example if you are facing Cody, cleary is you if your character can outrange him and have good anti air like fei long your goal will be to maintain corner control.

But if you are facing guile more or less you are going to do better controlling the midrange, Guile cornered has the advantage because he will force you to make a play with his sonic boom. watch dieminion and see.

Characters that play well in the corner

Honda
Guile
Dee Jay
Fei Long

Character that hate the corner
Akuma
Seth
Cammy
Dan
Gen
Blanka

If you have your opponent covered always hover outside the sweep range and poke thier advances and anti air them. when they stop moving go in for the kill but remember that they are looking for an escape.
Characters that have corner carry moves usually are strong in the corner game. example fei long reka, Gen gekiro and roll carry, Yun lunge punch and Makoto.

Things to consider before a match

What is my character strengths? what are my characters weakness against my opponent?
Understandidng your strentghts and weakness is crucial before any match, the strength and weakness of your character vary depending on your opponent.

Eg. Against Dudley Gen strength is the untechable knockdown
Against Ryu are cross up, mixup and unblockables
Gen weakness vs Yun is wakeup and no easy way to escape pressure
Gen weakness vs Honda is the difficulty of punishing headbutts and life difference

Having this in mind about your character and your opponent will help you strategize before heading out to battle and you can adapt easier since you have an idea which path to follow.

stay tuned for more tips

To KO or not to KO

many people think that winning in street fighter is about depleting the life of your opponent but the truth is you just need to have more health than your opponent when time runs out to win. a KO is just an added bonus and shouldn’t be the sole aim in any match.

When the round start there is no need to rush in for damage. relax you have a minute and half to make out what you need to survive. first of all feel out your opponent see how they react when you are far and when you are close. download if they like to jump and what poke they use alot then devise how to punish.

Now conservatively try to gain a slight lead in the first 30 seconds and your opponent will most likely become more reckless in their attack patterns that is your chance to increase the lead.

In some matchups it may be wise to run down the clock but against others its a bad idea. for example its easier to hold out if your opponent is Deejay, Guile, Zangief, Hawk. but if your opponent is Yun or Fei or Akuma its easier said than done. in their case the best to do is safe offense. attacking when its least risky and also not being reckless.

Remember that when you are in a match you are fighting for health, for positioning and for time.

Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:
(1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
(2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and
inferior forces.
(3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit
throughout all its ranks.
(4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy
unprepared.
(5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with
by the sovereign.

Art of War

Hence the skillful fighter puts himself into a position which makes defeat
impossible, and does not miss the moment for defeating the enemy.

Art of War

*Never place yourself in a position favorable to your opponent, if you are fighting Rushdown dont corner yourself, if you play a zoner, stay away from the effective range and do your best to close in safely.

In battle, there are not more than two methods of attack–the direct and
the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of
maneuvers.

Art of War

There is always something new to form an attack strategy on with your character. be it setups for mixups or safe jump or cross/fake cross ups. be creative.

Thus one who is skillful at keeping the enemy on the move maintains
deceitful appearances, according to which the enemy will act. He sacrifices something, that the enemy may snatch at it.
Art of War

Zoning 101

Sometimes its essential to bait your opponent into thinking you cannot anti air or whiff punish him or that you are always going to eat a mash dp. so when you are set up with super and ultra you can use that to bait him for great punish and damage

Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know
what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not
know what to attack.
-Art of War

Mixup 101, long and short of it it all is to be unpredictable and have many setups in your bag of tricks.

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your
methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances

*Do not rely on a particular setup or gimmick but rather adapt your skill and tech to your opponent

If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced to an engagement even
though he be sheltered behind a high rampart and a deep ditch. All we
need do is attack some other place that he will be obliged to relieve.

*Push your opponent to the corner and keep him there

If we do not wish to fight, we can prevent the enemy from engaging us
even though the lines of our encampment be merely traced out on the
ground. All we need do is to throw something odd and unaccountable in
his way.

*The best Zoning advice you can get

If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced to an engagement even
though he be sheltered behind a high rampart and a deep ditch. All we
need do is attack some other place that he will be obliged to relieve.

*Push your opponent to the corner and keep him there

If we do not wish to fight, we can prevent the enemy from engaging us
even though the lines of our encampment be merely traced out on the
ground. All we need do is to throw something odd and unaccountable in
his way.

*The best Zoning advice you can get

Nice…

been reading art of war lol. So you still visit this thread? I thought I was the only one

Art of War as the theme for Memoirs of an Assassin is a perfect fit, in my opinion. After all, Sun Tzu said in the Art of War:
“Be swift as the wind,
mysterious as the forest,
attack like a fire,
unmovable as a mountain”

An assassin who does not understand this is not worthy of that title.

yeah. so why is this thread dying off like this.

Sadly, all the threads in the Gen forum are like this.