Mini-games in Training mode

I made up this little mini game in training mode with these parameters:

dummy–> cpu
difficulty–> max
block–> all
meter–> none

Goal: Get as close enough to grab the dummy, or anti air when it jumps in.

I think that it teaches you to always be thinking of tech’ing when you’re close enough to prevent unnecessary damage and to always expect a jump-in which gives you a free ultra set up in some cases.

The next step would be to play footsies when the dummy is trying to attack you. Since the block is on all, you won’t ever get a free hit unless you’re punishing a whiff, or anti-air’ing a jump in.

Would you guys agree that this is a good training exercise for beginners?

block all doesn’t work for CPU I believe, even if it did it’s open during attack. all in all I would say no

edit: that’s not to say CPU can’t be used for training, I just don’t think your particular use is that good

You don’t think its good because of the hunch that block all may not work?

no, not just that. i think the idea you’re trying to go up against is learning how to detect a jump and stop it right? why not use record+playback to deal with repeated jumps instead?

Any dummy can anti-air a recording over and over. Watching a random CPU and simultaneously trying to move in on it and react to its jumps is probably a better simulation of an actual match.

this.

the purpose of this mini-game is to induce a constant state of thinking regarding anti-airs and grabs… thats just asking for big damage if you let someone jump in on you… and depending on your character you can have many many wake up options just from constantly grabbing.

well, i was thinking about it from different distances. for instance with Gouken if they’re really close into the jump but it’s not quite a crossup, sometimes you can only use cMK to anti-air. if they’re too far, cant use cMK have to use cHP. then sometimes you don’t even want to fuck around with either and just use aLP. and if it’s a crossup, counter or block. the distance is the only real variable, I don’t really think waiting for a comp to jump is efficient training for handling jumps better… then again I don’t think that should be “trained”. you innately start to handle jumps better when you know what they look like

This exercise will make you a worse player.

lol at the haters. This sounds like fun, i’ll try it out. Thanks for sharing.

noone’s hating. he came here for advice.

the CPU can be extremely predictable, so even while you think you’re consciously anti-airing on reaction, you’re actually sub-consciously figuring out the patterns and limiting your own defensive options when you reckon the probability of a jump is high. the AI does not jump randomly. all it’s moves are based on built-in scripts or something like that. eg. if you retreat beyond a certain distance against a projectile user, they start throwing fireballs. if you do a certain move within a certain range, it increases the probability that they will jump (or react with a certain move). hell, even just moving into a certain area increases that probability that certain AI characters will jump. furthermore, you don’t always want to react with an anti-air to a jump. what if a human player does a magic jump (one that you can only hit if they press a button in the air), or they do a move that changes their trajectory?

trying to throw the AI whenever you get close to it is an exercise in futility. i tested the AI in vanilla, and basically you only get 1 or 2 free throws per round. it will tech everything after that. and besides, why would you always go for a throw when you get close to the opponent? you’re just screaming to get punished.

if you want to train your whiff punishment, set the dummy to walk back and forth and to poke randomly, while maintaining forward movement (meaning that if you don’t poke it back or whiff punish it will push you to the corner). once you start punishing it’s whiffs successfully, record another setup with different timing (maybe even with a different char). repeat until you’re confident you’re reacting to the move and not the pattern.

I wasn’t hating. if I were hating I’d be calling him names and shit telling him how stupid his idea was. but I don’t talk like that

edit: as I said once before, the only variable for jumping is the distance. even a non-gamer can detect a jump and react to it. reacting to the jump isn’t the problem. being familiar with the jump arc, how long they stay in the air, what options they have in the air, how long it takes them to come down, the anti-air you have, etc. is what determines whether or not you react well to a jump. so I’m by no means “hating”. though since you say you’re going to try it, maybe you can bring us back results

Any reasoning?

Thanks for being specific!

The reason that I created this exercise is that I noticed that I would react to jump-ins with a crouching block which would be punished often, I also noticed that I get thrown wayy to often when I could just tech the throw, or get a throw. The intention was to keep me safe in matches.

I suppose online matches would be better than trying to develop reaction in CPU?

^ that’s a weird habit. are you new?

people commonly feel like crouch block is the best defense but IMO standing block+distance is usually better

I am 2 months old. Street Fighter wise… I’ve been watching videos for about 5 months.

and played casually (mash buttons) with my friends on and off

k just wondering. i ask cause most players like crouching block best and they have a reflex to block standing when they see a player jump so it sounded kinda odd to me that you’d crouch block in response to a jump

Are we saying that:

crouching block > anti-air?

Hes right, traing aganst the CPU even on max difficulty is just going to train build bad habit that will get you kill against a good player, the computer gets predictable and you’re not learning how to react quicker your actually becoming accustomed to the computer’s horrible playstyle. There no footsie, no fakes, no mindgames, after doing that for a good fifteen minutes you’ll feel like a god and ready to go out and crush people with your new godlike reflexes, but you haven’t actually learned much if anything except for some bad habits. The computer also isn’t using the best attack for each situation.

Gotta love Hardest CPU Ryu doing point-blank Ultras outside of combos when you’re not even pressing buttons.

nah, always better to hit your opponent if you can. anti-air is something you do when you know you’ve caught a jump and you can do something about it. people don’t anti-air everything though.