Minnesota Meltdown: Neo Summer Gathering - Minneapolis, MN - 9/13/08

In continuation of the bi-annual Minnesota Neo-Geo gatherings, I present Minnesota Meltdown a.k.a. MN Neo Summer Gathering '08.

Date: Saturday, September 13, 2008
1330 Industrial Boulevard
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413 (Map)
in the Memphis Room
Time: 12:00pm - midnight (or later) with setup starting at 10:00am
Venue Entry Fee: $5 (additional donations are appreciated :bgrin:)
Tournament Flyer
Sign-up Sheet (available at the event)

This event will have both casual gaming and tournaments. Historically, this event has been a gathering for Neo-Geo and other retro gamers in the Twin Cities area with a focus on casual and competitive gaming. This event will be focused a bit more towards tournaments, but will still have plenty of casual opportunities.

Tournaments
Tournaments will definitely be held in:
Street Fighter III: Third Strike - PS2
Capcom vs. SNK 2 - PS2
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core - PS2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Neo Geo (or PS2 if we can’t get carts)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - DC
Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Arcade (or DC if not available, or SF:AE on PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii

Tournaments which may be held if there is enough interest:
King of Fighters '98 - Neo Geo (or Ultimate Match on PS2)
Samurai Showdown 2 - Neo Geo
Magical Drop 3 - Neo Geo
Twinkle Star Sprites - Neo Geo
Soul Calibur 4 - PS3 (or X360)
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection - PS3
Virtua Fighter 5 - PS3 (or X360)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - PS2
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - PS2

Other games may be added if there is enough interest. All tournaments will have a $5 entry fee with payouts of 60%/30%/10%. All tournaments will be double elimination, unless there are less than 6 entrants, in which case we may do a round robin instead if there’s time.

Schedule
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm: Signups for all games
1:00 pm: Block A - MvC2, CvS2, SSBB (no items)
4:00 pm: Block B - GGXXAC, Garou, Super Turbo, SSBB (All-Brawl)
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Dinner Break
7:30 pm: Block C - SF3:3S

All other tournaments will be interspersed throughout the day depending on available setups and interest. Obviously, some games might run long and the schedule might shift a little bit, but the above times are the times I’m aiming for.

Equipment
We do need people to supply TVs and systems. Many of the regular attendees will be bringing TVs and/or systems and games. The more we have the better off we’ll be. If you are able to bring a TV, please do so. Setup will begin at 10:00am, so if you are bringing a TV or other large equipment, please come by between 10:15am and 11:30am so we can get it all arranged.

Equipment List (who’s bringing what)

Area
There is lodging available at the hotel. I am told that they have an internet only special that was at about $75/night. Otherwise, there should be other hotels nearby as it’s only a few miles north of downtown and the U of M campus. There is a Wendy’s and a gas station across the street and a bunch of other places to eat within a mile or two. There is to be no outside food or drink in the event room. There will be water provided, and there are vending machines and a restaurant in the hotel, but other outside food and beverages are not allowed.

Also, remember that the 35W bridge across the Mississippi River is not open, so if you’re coming from the south, you’ll probably want to take Hwy 280 and get off on Hennepin Ave.

Game Rules
For most games, standard tournament rules will apply. Double elimination brackets. All matches are best 2/3 until the Finals which are 3/5. Winner keeps the same character/super/order. Normal character bannings for games (ST: Akuma; 3S: Gill; CvS2: God Rugal, Shin Akuma, Evil Ryu, Orochi Iori, EX grooves; GGXXAC: all Gold, Shadow & EX versions; MvC2: same character teams).

The only major exception is SSBB. Here are the rules for Brawl:
No Items
3 stock - 8:00 rounds
best 2/3 (normal); best 3/5 (Finals)

Initial Stage: random select from neutral stage list
Subsequent Rounds: Winner must stay as the same character. Loser either picks new stage and chooses the same character, or chooses a new character and uses the same stage as previous round.
Stage Listing:

Stage Listing

[details=Spoiler]Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokmon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi’s Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokmon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi’s Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld[/details]

In addition to the main SSBB tourney, Keits is planning to run a second SSBB tourney using All-Brawl rules.

Edit: Moved SSBB to for sure. Linked to equipment list. Added game rules section. Added flyer link. Added All-Brawl. Added SSBB stages & changed counterpick rules. Added banned character list. Reduced venue fee to $5. Added schedule. Changed SSBB to 8:00 rounds. A few small finalizations and cleanups. Added sign-up sheet.

Woot first post. :slight_smile:

I’ll see if I can get some Chicagoans to get in on this than.

Can we pre-register now? I might be able to come assuming I"m able to dodge Football for this.:wonder:

-EX :cool:

Make it kof 98UM and I might consider showing up.

This is so hilarious…

I was actually going to be in Minneapolis in a week for work, but it got canceled at the last second. Damn.

I’m gonna see if I can get some STL SRKers to go, definately interested

I’ll definately try, moving into a new place just a couple weeks before this so hopefully after deposit etc I’ll still be able to make this.

How do you propose to have ST on arcade? Mike moved to Japan so his Supergun is no longer available. I could potentially bring his cabinet that I still have at my house. This would require a dolly, trailer, and help to move it out of, and into my house. I can provide 2 of the 3 I think. Let me know what y’all think. The cabinet is kind of small, and there’s only one (making the tournament a bit longer), but it does kind of make the event a little more hype-

-wes

Good question. That’s why I wasn’t promising arcade since I hadn’t talked with you yet. If we can get the cabinet there, we could certainly use it. Another option would be to use arcade + DC or just DC. Although I’m not sure if we have more than one copy of ST for DC (I’m counting the one that bMike has iirc) or the necessary joysticks/converters for PS2 > DC. I have one converter, but I don’t know what other people have.

The last resort would be to simply play Anniversary Edition on PS2. I’m sure we’d have enough setups for that. I think we’d probably be ok just having one setup though, so one arcade machine or one DC would probably work.

If some freak accident occurs and grants me super powers, which include flight, I’ll be there. Otherwise, there’s like, a 20% chance I’ll be there.

Is that exactly like the ones we played in the tourney in Iowa? With the flashing lights at all? :looney:

I’m gonna do what I can to make it out to this. Maybe bring a guy or two with me.

Brawl is probably going to be held, so people out of state, come :slight_smile:

Sorry, nope. It’s more like the ones we grew playing as a kid at the arcades and bowling alleys. Here’s an example of one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Street-Fighter-Coin-operated-arcade-video-game_W0QQitemZ230277838368QQihZ013QQcategoryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If people don’t really care if I bring the machine, we can have it on DC. I am willing to try and bring it over if people are into it.

-wes

Anyone coming from down south past St Louis or on the route to Minneapolis from St. Louis? Looks like nobody from STL is going and I’d like a carpool orsomething.

OHHH yeah, I remember those! It would be awesome if you did bring it.

There a super turbo one that you could play for free but the left joystick is broken at st thomas :stuck_out_tongue:

not to far away from where i’m going to school. i just might show up, i dont have a reason not to:woot:

OK, time to start making sure that we’ll have enough equipment for all of the games we want to run.

TVs (need as many as possible)
2 - D33p Sl33?
1 - lftrpllr
1 - GregN.
1 - Grinwing
1 - Kaal
2 - two2tone
2 - DigitalGypsy
1 (or 2) - oreodizzy
1 - D. Disciple
1 - Ravepulse
1 - sukkafoo
1 - katraqueyous

PS2s (would like at least 8+; more is better)
1 (modded) - Shogun17
2 - D33p Sl33?
1 - lftrpllr
1 - Kaal
2 - two2tone
1 - katraqueyous
1 - oreodizzy
1 - Ravepulse

Dreamcasts (need at least 1; would like 3)
1 - Grog
1 - katraqueyous
1 - DigitalGypsy
1 - oreodizzy

PS2 > Dreamcast controller converters (need at least 2; would like 2 per DC)
1 - Shogun17

Neo-Geo Systems (??)
1 - GregN.
1 (MVS) - Grinwing

Wii (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 - Shogun17
1 - !! BAKA !!
1 - Grog
1 - Keits
1 - sukkafoo (incomplete SSBB save data)

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (need at least 3; would like 4+)
1 - Shogun17
1 - Kaal
1 - two2tone
1 - katraqueyous
1 - Ravepulse

Capcom vs. SNK 2 (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 - Shogun17
1 - lftrpllr
1 - Kaal
1 - two2tone
1 - oreodizzy

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 - Shogun17
1 - katraqueyous
1 - oreodizzy
1 - pbj_mixxa

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (need at least 2; would like 3+)
2 - Shogun17
1 - GregN.
1 - oreodizzy

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (DC) (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 (arcade) - lftrpllr
1 - DigitalGypsy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 - Shogun17
1 - !! BAKA !!
1 - Grog
1 - Keits
1 - GregN.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (need at least 2; would like 3+)
1 (PS2) - Shogun17

Other Games
Samurai Showdown 2 - 2 (GregN., Grinwing)
King of Fighters '98 - 2 (Grinwing, pbj_mixxa [Ultimate Match])
Twinkle Star Sprites - 2 (GregN., Grinwing)
Magical Drop 3 - 1 (Grinwing)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology - 1 (Shogun17)
T5 DS - ??
SC4 - 2 (DigitalGypsy, sukkafoo [360])
VF5 - ??

Please speak up and let me know what you are able to bring. Also, please let me know as soon as possible so I can take action to find equipment if needed (especially for Super Turbo, PS2 > DC converters & Garou).

I can bring a DC, it’s not modded at all and is US though. Let me know if that works.

For equipment, I can bring:
-(1) crt tv
-A ps2
-A ps2 copy of cvs2
-my arcade cabinet to run ST on if you like.

That game is pretty fast and if we limit it to 2 out of 3, 3 out of 5 finals, it should go quick. We could still have copies of the DC version on hand for a back up plan.
I played Sam Sho 2 on the ps2 this week. It’s pretty good. I realize there’s no substitute for the original but I could bring a copy of it and we could have a tournament in that if there’s interest. Has this tournament been posted on Neo-Geo.com?
When are you going to post up a schedule? I assume it’s going to be the typical order: CVS2 first, 3rd Strike last, and everything else scattered in the middle?

-wes