MLG picks up MK

People dont seem to get that MK pulls the casual crowd. Sf has a long standing hardcore player base, and thats why they can stand on their own. Mvc is flashy and awesome to look at onstream so it can bring in the stream numbers. It also has a fan base like sf. As nice and technically sound of a game kofxiii is, it doesnt have a huge following over here… Mortal kombat made it to evo last year and what did everyone on this site say? ‘that shitty game will die after evo.’ But we, the mk/fgc kept it alive and made it so strong that its not only back for evo 2012, but also we have a chance to show our skills at mlg. Mk isnt the biggest community but we are strong and well-knit group. Quit discounting Mortal Kombat, because its come up and bit every pompous asshole in the back. It might not be the best game but its overcome a hell of alot of odds

Moving post

You see that KamikazeJD has a point, MK Community has what it take to stay and prosperous and make things happen.

We got each other back no doubt.

Except the scenes actually got along, their was just problems with no one expecting that many people to show up, space issues, and problems with scheduling.

I am proud of the MK scene for doing this. I really should get into that game but I just can’t get anybody in my scene to play it. Everybody plays KOF and SF4 and UMvC3. Nobody likes this and SCV. I will have to keep trying.

What I don’t like is that some people in the FGC want MK9 out and put Melty Blood or BBCS:EX in its place for EVO and talking bout how this is its last year and its not going get no more play after this year…Really now, come on man

Fuck You back :). As far as “some random rinky dink ranbat” Our rinky dinky ranbat had TFA/RZR Banana Ken, TFA/RZRWeaponsLeft, MRN/MCZ Wolfkrone, Antwain “Alucard” Ortiz, among others with an amazing SF4 finals of Wolfkrone vs Banana Ken. No one decides what a community does. The community is the people who show up. The tournament organizers in Detroit have bent over backwards for Mortal Kombat, and the players just don’t show up. You can get mad at me all you want, I’m not the problem. The problem is that MK players in a lot of areas don’t show up.

Hell look at the lack of a crowed to watch the MK finals at the last SoCal major

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/166991_3269997156970_1478603501_3162424_1551284400_n.jpg

Obviously the story is quite twisted. Although the first time they worked was 5 years ago. Still all I am saying is let them do as they do, it’s up the the MK community to use what they have just received constructively like smash seems to have done.

I too think this won’t go well as MLG hopes but I say let them do it, they don’t have a Capcom game and that’s what they want.

When this blows up let’s see who learns form this.

Hey dude every think that maybe just maybe that the FGC in SoCal cares more bout Capcom games then MK and if you agree then that means that its just that place and not as a whole

Well isn’t the socal FGC the one where all others are judged?

Wait what do you mean bout that???

Well they seem to be the most active and tend to push out the best talent the US has. That said this is a diverse country and you can’t really base things regionally. You have to have a lot of data to really tell what the community really is. Hopefully MLG will give us more numbers to work on.

Yea I understand, I’m afraid that MK gets play a little bit and then push for something aside like Tekken or SCV (No offense to Their community though)

I don’t think that is the case. The problem is not that the people who show up for the Majors care more about Capcom, it is that not enough people who care about MK show up to support. I’m sure Mortal Kombat out sold any other game in SoCal, but it didn’t translate to bodies in the seats and viewers on the streams. Let me get this out there, I am not hating on MK the game, I bought it and bought all the DLC characters. Who I am blasting is the people who play MK not showing up. Maybe the MK scene will grow over time, who’s to say, but too many people want this game to get instant respect without its players putting in the time grow the scene from the bottom up.

I get what you’re coming from and I understand,but I’m trying to say is that I believe its just regionally.The FGC in the west coast might be like that but in the south I can say with confident that its right up there with SSF4 and UMvC3.

I agree that MK doesn’t get near the participation of Capcom games, but it’s not as universally grim as you make it out to be. Here’s a bracket from one of our recent Virginia locals:

http://www.makombat.com/images/brackets/PassTheSalt-Results.jpg

For a local with no major money on the line that’s a pretty good turnout I’d say.

Good, MK9 is a decent game, even with the glitches. Hope this helps out the MK community.

I disagree that I am being universally grim. But come on that tourney had WINBACK and Tom Bradey :slight_smile: The fact that MK has great turnout in some areas and shit turnout in other places shows that the MK community is running the risk of becoming regional. If it becomes regional the MK community only have themselves to blame. NRS studios did it’s part. It made a good game that has out sold most other games out there. MK hasn’t let the community down, the community has let MK down.

I’m not discounting the game, my complaint is with the players. Sure the game is still “alive” but I see no signs the scene is growing as much as it should.