I recently purchased a Mayflash fighting stick:
However, the button board quickly became damaged, and the buttons would stop responding. I decided to cut my losses and learn to mod. Some quick googling found me this thread on another forum:
Using that thread as a guide, I will attempt a modding job myself. I intend to use this thread as a base to ask for advice and post updates for anyone else who owns a Mayflash and is thinking of modding it.
It’s been said in other threads like here (http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132043)
that you can just trash the stock board under the stock buttons, since if you buy other buttons, you can just wire them straight to the PCB. I’m not sure how using a button board like the Mayflash makes it so cheap, it almost seems like it would make it more expensive, but the bottom line is, it crapped out on me and it won’t register contact from the rubber bottoms of the stock buttons.
As such, I plan to follow the example of the other guy and buy some 30mm sanwa buttons to replace the current ones (they are about $3 each from lizardlick, I suppose that is reasonable?).
I’m still trying to decide between the two Sanwa sticks, however. There are two of them, and presumably the difference between them is that one is more expensive but easier to install. I’d like a little advice on this issue.
Updates will be in edits in this original post for the future…perhaps followed by bumps if it is an important update.
Jan 18 09:
I finished sautering wires to the button contacts…I still need to buy a dremel tool for the next steps, but I thought I’d post so clear up some things regarding the buttons on the PCB.
It should be noted that I probably used wires that are unnecessarily thick.
The writing on the contacts is all backwards as you can tell.
You will see: R1 R2 BU BR BL BD L2 L1 GND
R1, R2, L2, L1 are all what they say they are…they are the shoulder buttons that correspond to the ones on a dualshock. The other four are abbreviations for “button up/right/left/down” so BU would be /, BR would be O, BL would be [ ] and BD would be X.
In the photo, the directional wires are at the upper left of the board as shown: right up left down.
Each input is activated when a connection between a ground (usually a red wire) and the input is closed. Hence, on the sanwa buttons there are two contacts, so you connect the corresponding input and the ground to it.
This brings me to two problems: I will need to connect the ground wire to 8 buttons. That will get messy since I don’t know of any other way than to add wires between every ground contact on the buttons.
I also don’t know how I ought to connect the sanwa stick. The plug that came with the stick has color and number-coded wires, (edit) I didn’t know what they stood for, so I hooked up the PCB to my computer and did some testing.
If we are looking at the Sanwa stick with the pins pointing right (as they will be when I mount it inside the box):
1 - Black - ground
2 - Green - Left
3 - Yellow - Right
4 - Orange - Down
5 - Red - Up
I must keep this in mind when I connect the wires.
I completed the thing just tonight! I’ll show you a few images.
This is the sanwa stick I ended up using by brokenhalo’s recommendation:
I installed it in a fashion similar to brokenhalo, however I decided not to file down the part inside so the stick would sit a bit lower. I drilled some holes and used some nuts and mounting screws to secure the stick.
Since all the soldering has been done, all that was left was to start installing things. I took my dremel tool and widened the button holes so the buttons would fit:
and here’s a look at how the final mount of the joystick worked out:
After I inserted the buttons, I cut 8 more pieces of wire and affixed them with electrical tape…I bunched all the grounds together and twisted them together in pairs…and wrapped the PCB ground wire around all of them, and sloppily taped that into a bouquet. here’s the final wiring job:
Things to remember for next time:
Use wires of proper thickness next time! The wires I used were a bit too thick, and became brittle and a couple pieces snapped while I was working. Very inconvenient.
Don’t take apart the stick months before work…you’ll lose screws like I did.
Buy a colored balltop. It’ll look more unique!
Think about getting a Robo-Ky print designed…