Momma Said Knock You Out! The Balrog/Boxer Super Strategy and Match Ups Thread

It’s a new year and a new game. Time to make a new thread! Here we will be discussing strategies and match ups in order to figure out how to have the best chance at getting that fight money. In Vanilla SF4 Balrog was considered very strong. He was one of the few characters that was really balanced out.

In the newest edition, Super SF4, we find that Balrog over all has received various damage nerfs but mechanical buffs. Links are easier, commands have better priorities, and relative to other characters he seems much stronger in this edition than in the previous title.

Styles of Play
Balrog’s strength is in his ability to transition between different styles of game play. Many cast members lack excellent rush down; other characters are extremely pringles and have bad defense. Balrog? He is an extremely balanced character that can do both very effectively. The real trick is in the ability to transition between these styles. First lets discuss them!

The Turtle
Often seen as the generic play style. Most of the time all you do is down back. Many match ups in this game actually reward you heavily for turtling and playing super lame. An example of this is when a boxer player is up against a Cammy or Blanka.

CHARGE!!! (Forward.)
While Balrog is a charge character, he can be very aggressive while still maintaining his charge. His excellent normals enable him to dash punch and continue the pressure with jabs - leading to more dash punches. The continual amounts of chip damage can add up. In addition, his relatively safe dash straight leaves very little time to punish enabling cr. jab to counter hit many reversals.

The In and Out
A very under appreciated style of play. In this style you will see a Boxer player walking back and forth with little regard to his charge time. You basically rely on your superior normals. You won’t be throwing out too many specials - but you will be getting big damage off your roundhouse and tic throws.

General Strategies
Coming soon.

Credits:
Coming soon.

vs Abel

Spoiler

vs Adon

Spoiler

vs Akuma

Spoiler

vs Balrog

Spoiler

vs Blanka

Spoiler

vs Cammy

Spoiler

vs Chun Li

Spoiler

vs Cody

Spoiler

vs C. Viper

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Dan

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Dee Jay

Spoiler

vs Dhalsim

Spoiler

vs Dudley

Spoiler

vs E. Honda

Spoiler

vs El Fuerte

Spoiler

[LIST=1]

vs Fei long

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Gen

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Gouken

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Guile

Spoiler

vs Guy

Spoiler

vs Hakan

Spoiler

vs Ibuki

Spoiler

vs Juri

Spoiler

vs Ken

Spoiler

vs Makoto

Spoiler

vs M. Bison

Spoiler

vs Rose

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Rufus

Spoiler

vs Ryu

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Sagat

Spoiler

vs Sakura

Spoiler

Coming Soon

vs Seth

Spoiler

vs T. Hawk

Spoiler

vs Vega

Spoiler

vs Zangief

Spoiler

That’s ambitious :slight_smile: Really what this forum needed too.

Sweet we got stickied. Please feel free to start discussing SUPER strats! Credit will be given to everyone. Also feel more than free to test out current strats and if you disagree with them make sure you tell us why! Strats can change very quickly especially since the game is new and the meta game naturally evolves!

A new matchup thread finally got STICKIED!!! Never thought I’d see the day.

When’s the frame data come out? EventHubs just links you back to old data when you click the Frame Data link on Rog’s Super Street Fighter IV page. Hmm, well once the frame data gets released, the first thing is to probably compare it to Vanilla SFIV and write a definitive list of changes to Boxer’s move set. Then we can start to dissect what these changes mean to Boxer’s combo options, punish options, and the vulnerability/applications of his different attacks.

I believe it will be inside the game guide that will be sold. Not sure who make it. Most likely Prima. But yeah I think they actually delayed the guide for frame data (what i heard). The guide was scheduled to originally be purchasable last week but didn’t release. Who knows @_@ However, that’s a great idea for the first post, thanks.

With the T.Hawk Match up, as long as you notice you have to wait just a little bit because he jumps very high, ALL of his jumps/dive ins can be headbutted or c.hp. With relative ease too. It’s looking like an easier form of the 'Gief match - Hawk’s pokes are worse though, helping Balrog in the footsie battle.

Guy’s demon flip throw hits STANDING. You will be compelled to stand when he does it, believe me. Just crouch - the elbow drop he can do is NOT an overhead I’m told, so this should be fine. I’m thinking for his demon flip pressure, crouch tech with hp (so c.hp comes out). That’s conjecture mostly, but in theory it should be a good option.

With Dhalsim and Guile’s respective buffs, they both are a harder fight now. Any good gameplans for Guile since he can charge his Sonic Boom so fast?

added to guy section. good info that i forgot to mention!

Just noticed: against Ibuki, the first kick of her Tsumuji will miss Rog is he times TAP right and smack her in the face if she continues.

Glad to see the new one started and stickied. Well done!

Addition:
M. Bison’s Ultra 2 can be avoided clean using TAP, even on wakeup where a properly timed U2 wont allow jumping. There’s even enough time after the flash to react.

Video I made: [media=youtube]ydJ5-aups60[/media]

i totally agree i think guile will be one of the hardest . i have yet fought sim player .

For the mirror match, balrog can be grabbed out of every EX move since he can’t hit with the tip of the glove. Great knowledge to bait out an ex rush at the end of the match and destroy all hopes of a comeback.

abel’s ultra 2 is pretty impressive. i have major issues doing anything against it. it grabs, has armor and priority over like everything. what are the options? yeah i should just jump forward but that can’t be the only option now can it?

Jump back also works because it is a tracking move and will stop right in front of you. A lucky back dash might work but I have not tested that so that is only a theory. Another option is to head butt and hope he goes right under you.

I’ve gotten hit with that a few times. This info makes me happy lol

Jump Back might not be a great idea if your opponent reads you, and they hold ultra and catch when you’re landing. I’m speaking from experience :0(.

The range, speed, armor and the fact Abel can delay the release is foul. If you’re within 75% of the screen from him, you’re in range to get screwed over.

your telling truth i was in endless battle doing pretty good till this guy brought his abel, and i was lost againest his ultra2 …=( then i went training mode ,and learn that if you can time it right u can headbutt him out of it/ or go over him.