What do you guys think, which are the most well thought-out characters in the game? Which character does have the tools to do what he is supposed to?
And by that I don’t mean which character is top tier, or which character is the most powerful. I don’t judge by hitboxes or damage output.
I’ll explain what I mean with an example:
For me, Guile has a very good character design.
He is supposed to be a heavy zoner, and so he has the tools to be played like one. His Sonic Booms go from super fast (EX) to pretty slow, so he can manage spacing. His flash kick, air grabs and great AA-normals are there to punish the easy way to get in and over the projectiles (jumps). Also his good and far-reaching normals can frustrate you when walking forward and his command normals that can move him can catch you off guard.
But he is also pretty weak up close and his lack of reversal makes him vulnerbale once you get in, which is important in my opinion because his strenghts should come with a weakness.
So, who are the characters that are well designed in my opionion?
- Dhalsim: Pretty much the same as Guile.
- Jun: He is a rushdown character who needs to get his divekick-pressure going. His special moves are designed to catch people that try to escape that pressure.
- Oni: Although he does have many bad matchups, he has many gimmicks and tricks that can mindfuck your opponent so you can overcome them. But he also has some solid options like good combos, so he’s definitely not a gimmick character.
- Ryu: I like his design because he is so solid. Almost no weakness, he is the prototyical SF character.
Characters who’s design is flawed (in my opinion):
- T.Hawk: Why do his normal throws and hp. command grabs put him so far away from his opponent? His mobility isn’t that good considering condor dive is highly punishable if you land in medium/short range, and if you land far away, what’s the point? Also his condor spire is not nearly as good (mobility wise) as for example Gief’s EX-GH or Hakan’s oiled dash.
I hope this thread has not been there already, because I hope to learn more about character design and how some of them work.