Mountiing Questions

I’m going to try my hand at making a stick soon and I’m pretty much set for what I need to do with regards to getting the box built and button holes and stuff but what I’m really stuck on planning out is mounting the stick. I’m thinking of using a Seimitsu LS-32-01. I’ve read the various stick building threads and see two terms that confuse me. Top Mounting and Bottom Mounting, what are they? And what pros and cons are there for both? Also how do I go about cutting a hole in the middle of my 1 inch block of MDF? All I have at my disposal right now is a power drill and a miter saw and I can’t figure out how to do that with those tools.

Thanks in advance.

You are going to want a few more tools to get a good mounting job done. Top mount is when the mounting plate of the joystick is on the top of the wood. This is usually recessed a few mm into the wood. Bottom mounting is when the mounting plate is mounted on the underside of the control panel. Seeing as you are using a Seimitsu joystick you will want to top mount this stick.

edit… Top mount plates are flat. (LS-32) The bottom mount plates are bent. (LS-32-01) I am not sure on how thick of wood the bottom mount plates are made for because I use the top mounts.

Cut a hole in the wood for the body of the joystick to fit through. Use a jigsaw for this or a router with a straight bit. Next you will need to dig out the recess for the mounting plate. Typically a router is used with a straight bit. Chisels don’t work to well with MDF.

If this is more than you want to tackle I can build you a box.

TTFN
Kaytrim

Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I’ll probably make a few mistakes on my first one but I’d rather do this myself so that I can learn. I appreciate the offer though.