Movement Speed Comparison

Here’s a list detailing the entire cast’s movement speeds, both forward and backward. Speeds are organised into groups; all members of a specific group move at an identical speed, the exact value of which is shown next to the group’s letter. Unlike some similar comparisons which use an inaccurate visual method, these values are the same ones the game uses internally.

The decimal value represents the amount of movement per frame. As reference, the horizontal length of the stage is 15, and the distance between characters at the start of the round is 3.

v2012 Updated Values:
Cody’s forward speed increased to 0.038, backward speed increased to 0.024.
Guy’s backward speed increased to 0.035.
The previous values can be found in the list below, marked with an asterisk (*).

FORWARD MOVEMENT

A: 0.055
Akuma
Cammy
Chun-Li
Dee Jay
Gen (Crane)
M. Bison (Dictator)
Vega (Claw)

B: 0.054
Yang

C: 0.050
Adon
Balrog (Boxer)
Blanka
C. Viper
Dudley
Evil Ryu
Guile
Sakura
Yun

D: 0.048
El Fuerte

E: 0.045
Fei Long
Gen (Mantis)
Gouken
Guy
Honda
Rose
Rufus
Ryu

F: 0.04125
Ibuki

G: 0.040
Dan
Ken
Oni

H: 0.035
Abel
Cody *
Juri
Zangief

I: 0.031
T. Hawk

J: 0.030
Hakan

K: 0.025
Dhalsim
Seth

L: 0.024
Sagat

M: 0.020
Makoto

BACKWARD MOVEMENT

A: 0.050
Vega (Claw)

B: 0.045
Blanka
Cammy
Chun-Li
Gen (Crane)

C: 0.043
El Fuerte

D: 0.040
Akuma
Balrog (Boxer)
Dee Jay
Dudley
Evil Ryu
Guile
M. Bison (Dictator)
Oni
Yang

E: 0.035
Adon
C. Viper
Rose
Sakura
Yun

F: 0.03125
Ibuki

G: 0.030
Abel
Dan
Fei Long
Gen (Mantis)
Gouken
Guy *
Hakan
Honda
Juri
Ken
Rufus
Ryu
T. Hawk
Zangief

H: 0.020
Cody *
Dhalsim
Sagat
Seth

I: 0.015
Makoto

Character Walk Speed Breakdown
Work In Progess: The Evil Ryu Guide
Work In Progess: The Evil Ryu Guide
Movement frame data?
SSF4 Tier List Thread REBOOT Super + AE (Updated: 02-01-09)

Good stuff. Were these taken from the game files?

I always wondered about the backwards walk speed, because I knew Vega seemed to walk faster backwards than Bison, even though they both walk forward at the same speed.

useful stuff on srk? must be miracle day!

this is very good info if accurate (im assuming it is)

thanks shodan

Any 3S players able to confirm my suspicions that Makoto not only dashed better (this I know is true) but had a faster walk speed in 3S? I know the screen size is smaller in 3S but she feels like she is either faster or at least the walk speeds for all characters are a little closer together.

dashes were better in general in sf3 (all incarnations) and in cvs2

Yeah but what about her walk speed? I knew her dash was better in 3S

This was really useful, I hadn’t seen much about backwalk speeds.

I really wish there was more of this and less of “MAN I CAN’T WIN ONLINE” and other random bs threads

Where did you get this information from?

The game’s memory. Alternatively, a program like Ono can be used to get the same values from character data files. There is a physics section for both types of walking that lists the movement per frame as a hex value. Presumably, converting them to floating-point would give you the values listed here.

One other thing I’d like to mention about movement is that it doesn’t begin until the 2nd frame of the walking animation. Moving only for a single frame is the same as standing still. In combos that require walking forward for example, a minimum of 2 movement frames is needed to close any distance.

Is there also walking acceleration? Some characters seem to have incredibly slow acceleration visually (Juri) while others are full speed immediately (Akuma). Though this could just be a convincing visual effect.

No acceleration; all characters move at the same flat rate each frame.

has this thread been stickied or saved anywhere? This info is useful, and should be on the wiki or something

This is very nice, thank you so much

So how about the forward dash and backward dash ?
I cannot find the data of Oni-Evil Ryu-Yun and Yang in wiki

What do you want to know about them? Total frames, invulnerability/airborne frames? I can give you that, but I don’t think there’s much point in describing the travel distances. Then I’d have to give the other characters’ dash ranges for context. No fun.

I want to know the dash frame of them
Thank you

Go here.