"Movie And A Show" Thread: Popcorn Optional

mirror

As much as I love Die Hard to me the best Christmas movie is Home Alone. I still watch it with my old lady

Die Hard, and A Christmas Story.

Gremlins is a good one too.

And Lethal Weapon.

If it wasn’t for Die Hard, Elf would be my favorite Christmas movie.

Eyes Wide Shut. Y’all think you’re cute for talking about Die Hard but get the fuck on my level.

Personal Favorite Films of the Holiday Season

1. ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ (1946)

2. ‘The Irony of Fate’ (1976)

3. ‘Planes Trains, & Automobiles’ (1987)

4. ‘The Family Man’ (2000)

5. ‘Die Hard’ (1988)

6. ‘Last Holiday’ (2006)

7. ‘Jack Frost’ (1998)

8. ‘Elf’ (2003)

9. ‘A Flinstones Christmas Carol’ (1994)

Captive State trailer…

I love Planes Trains & Automobiles, but that’s a Thanksgiving movie.

The Ref. Denis Leary! Kevin Spacey! Christine Baranski!
Bad Santa
Scrooged
Elf
A Christmas Story

Mostly I just like people being dicks about the holiday and then half-heartedly redeeming themselves.

Yeah I know, but Thanksgiving is part of the holiday season and I never celebrate Christmas. I definitely need to check out ‘The Ref’, so thanks for the recommendation.

Also, having watched ‘A Christmas Story’ several times, I am puzzled that a film with such a mundane premise, a lack of humor, and uninteresting plot is so highly revered. What is it about that movie that brings so many of you joy?

Downtown Abbey trailer…

If you’re thinking it’s got a lack of humor, then yeah it’s not for you. It’s just got a good feel for how shitty and disappointing being a kid is, how stupid everybody is (Flick), and yet people kinda come together and aren’t as sucky as you thought they were. It’s not Solaris or the Dekalog, just a really good after school special. The Grinch and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and A Charlie Brown Christmas are kinda in that same vein… simply and dumb but also mostly entertaining.

It’s fun to revel in just the living disappointment that is the dad as he worships the Fra Gee Lay shitty leg lamp and other lowlights of life that are also kinda highlights.

Another shitty holiday tradition - the Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris:

New Hellboy “motion” movie poster (has sound)

April looks crowded af : Shazam, Godzilla, Hellboy and Avengers.

Nothing matters until I see Glass, new trailer they release feels spoiler-rific but it also looks so damn good!

Bro I’m so fucking hyped about Glass… They better fucking deliver cause I’m willing to pay money to watch it on big screen

One decent movie after a decade plus of bad ones doesn’t make me want to see Glass. I loved Unbreakable (Haven’t seen Split) but like. M. Nights taint (no homo) hasn’t been washed off of me yet.

I still haven’t forgiven him for The Last Airbender.

Was not expecting Mortal Engines to flop hard in theaters…

All the trailers made it look like a super confusing and oddly paced movie. And it’s coming out against a lot of different family movies.

It also didn’t look that interesting to begin with.

You ought to check out Split before deciding not to see Glass. It’s actually decent.

I know the major plot twist that happens at the end. So like…do I really?