MvC3 Akuma / Gouki General Discussion Thread

Check out the Akuma OTG

There was no otg in that video, I think you might be referring to the demon flip palm that caused a ground bounce. That was sexy, wonder what combo options this will open up for our boy.

Oh and on an unrelated note, I find it funny that the vergil thread has more posts than the akuma thread despite the vergil thread being less than a month old and akuma being almost 9.

Yeah, m’bad, the ground bounce.

Vergil’s got a lot of hype. The general consensus was that Akuma was gonna be kind of not up top like previous games.

I think another aspect was no one even tried to make akuma work on point, I mean I’ve seen more on point haggars than akumas and thats saying something. We will see how this-hopefully-changes in ultimate. I think akumas got some untapped juice. I have no idea why capcom decided to reduce his hp but w/e at this point.

Are the Akuma BnBs on the OP still viable of has combos evolved to a new set of BnBs? I want to pick up Akuma.

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

Ill wait a few weeks till ultimate drops before I start learning akuma combo’s since were not entirely sure what has and hasn’t changed with him. But if you badly need to practice some akuma combos, check out this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgqvO_KqSHo it covers a wide variety of combos and other than two or so are very practical.

Thanks, yeah I will just wait till UMVC :slight_smile:

Ive always played Akuma in the anchor position in vanilla but i am definately gonna play him in the second spot in UMVC. Many people overlooked his potential on point with an assist in vanilla because he was such an effective anchor, but recently ive found i like him better in the second spot. The biggest reason is people rarely ever used his teleport in his mixup game (the only time i saw people use it was to escape corners and such). With a proper projectile assist such as Taskmaster (which I use), Sentinel, or Iron Man, Akuma gains a crazy mixup game with his teleport. People may say his teleport is ground-only and one version so it sucks, but that’s not true. If you call Task assist around half screen, then teleport, it creates a good left/right mixup bc depending on how early or late u press teleport after the assist, you may end up behind the opponent or Task assist may push the opponent just enough that you’re infront of them, creating a good 50/50 left right mixup. However, thats not all. After the teleport I mix it up again by goin low or doin his overhead (or sometimes i do a cr.l then overhead right away), creating another mixup. So even if they guess left or right they still gotta guess up or down, which is pretty good in my opinion and I have gotten people countless times with this technique now. Its really about your opponent not being able to successfully calculate the teleport distance added with the pushback that Taskmaster may or may not provide, depending on how delayed your teleport was.
My second reason for wanting Akuma second in UMVC is because 2nd is the logical spot where I can still punish the opponent’s assist with super, and blowing xfactor in the second spot is way better than blowing it when u still have 3 chars left in my opinion. My gameplan is to literally hunt for bad assist calls and put fear in my opponent so that they actually cant spam assists.
My team in UMVC will most likely be Vergil/Akuma/Task or Hawkeye and i will continue to rep Akuma and I hope not everyone will drop him!

This please. I just joined Xbox live and am having serious trouble punishing X-factor lvl 3 tatsu.

Only thing I can think of is activating X-factor on block and punishing. Due to his block stun and speed increase people are going to have to conserve their X-factor if the want to punish blocked tatsus.

Well I know with non-xfactor tatsu you pushblock the 2nd to last hit and punish(punish is character dependent but Im pretty sure every character has a punish). I don’t however know for sure how to deal with x-factor tatsu, I usually just punish it directly with something invincible like a lvl 3 or toss out a counter with amateratsu.

Hey guys I got UMVC at midnight release and I was very surprised with one thing about Akuma: for some reason I was unable to do air super then XFC air super (both versions)… I tried doin air super XFC air super with Ryu and it worked fine (also tried with Task to make sure and worked for him too). I have no idea if this is just a character specific thing but I dont get why they would not let you do Air super XFC air super, especially with Akuma who it helps SO much… I hope its just a bug and they fix it or id be pretty sad…

You prolly did something wrong cause id be very veeeeery surprised if akuma is the only character who can’t air x-factor. It would make so little sense. Anyway, for all who were worried about the assist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwdjFBCcV4 fast forward to 15:10(can’t remember how to do it anymore) justin running shit with that assist. Its just not as easy to hit confirm off it anymore, but its still possible, and practical plus it still devours projectiles and locks the opponent down for half a century. This pretty much confirms we are never gonna see akuma on point lol, I might run him in the second slot though.

No im pretty sure it doesnt work. My execution is actually pretty decent and I even put on input display to make sure (plus even a noob can do air hyper xfc air hyper). I literally tried every other char who can do air hyper xfc air hyper and it worked just fine for them. I tried doin this multiple times for Akuma and it just doesnt work and im pretty upset since he is my main char. Everytime I do air hyper then XFC and input air hyper, only a fireball comes out. if i just jump up and xfactor then hyper in the air, it works tho, which means i only cant do it after an air hyper. Dont believe me try it yourself and let me know what happens please! Trust me I wish I was wrong

Does his divekick feel better to you guys? I don’t remember it crossing up so easily. Also, his normals don’t feel as stubby. Might be a placebo affect, though.

I tried this in matches all night and couldn’t get it to work, so I definitely think this is a real thing.

air beam XFC air beam doesn’t work because Akuma has only ever been able to do one super per jump

Damn, thats disappointing, but I misunderstood your original post, I thought you meant akuma can’t beam air x-factor, but I take it you mean he can’t beam air x-factor and then beam again. Thats still disappointing but not as bas as I originally thought.

so you’re saying Akuma is the ONLY char that is limited to one super per jump? What kind of stupid rule is that and why just Akuma? Ryu has a similar beam and he can do air beam, XFC air beam.

haha yeah it is disappointing i really dont understand why its specific only to Akuma. My gameplan goin into UMVC was to have Akuma second to air beam punish assists and xfactor beam again to kill off the assist but this just kills my gameplan. I hope they patch this in the future :frowning: