MvC3: how to open a fight?

so I have been practising my combos and execution. But when I go online (or play my friend, who is very good) I never get an opportunity to ever use them.

Any tips on how to get the first punch in?

Depends on what team your using, what team your opponent is using, mixups, resets, tricks you can do, etc. Knowing combos is only part of the battle, knowing how to create opportunities to use those combos is much more important.

There is no simple answer to this question, as it’s something that comes with time and experience. The more you play, the more you’ll pick up on your opponents’ weaknesses and learn moments to start combos. Since I don’t know who you play as, your assists, what your biggest problem online is, etc. There is only so much anyone here can tell you.

With such a vague question, the only real answer I can give you is that, go to your characters section in the MvC3 forums, look up some information on them, you may find a way to get in opportunities to do damage and combos. Just remember, the object of the game isn’t to do combos, it’s to win, and who does the longest combo doesn’t determine who wins, it’s who does the most damage, who defeats the other first. Long combos don’t translate to wins, and sometimes all you get is a little section of life bar to shave off your opponent, but every little bit you shave off adds up. Punishment and making your opponent doubt himself can be much better weapons than tricky special moves.

Maybe if you provide some more specifics, like your team, assists, opponent or style giving you most trouble, etc., you may get a better answer. The more details you give, the better the help you may receive.

Try focusing more on not getting hit, rather than hitting them. If you do this, they may make a mistake at some point and leave an opening.

That said, this may be a horrible idea based on both players’ playstyles and their characters, but it provides a different way to look at things. Just focus on not getting hit (you can block, though). If you get that down, then try playing more aggressively, but don’t forget what you learned when you tried a different playstyle.

I don’t know about that mentality in MvC3, since the mechanics of the game heavily favor the aggressor. I’d rather try to figure out how to create an ambiguous blocking situation (left/right mixups are more effective than high/low mixups) while using my assists to make my offense safe. Defense is good, but momentum is better in this game.

I’m the same general predicament for the most part but here are some things I’ve been doing to help me out, I’m getting a lot more openings (still have to work on finishing my combos as I’m now getting a lot of time over wins)

1. Practice your combos with different openings so instead of doing a basic BnB combo, get in the habit of doing that BnB from different openings. This usually allows for you to have a methodical approach as opposed to trying to transition into COMBO MODE (which is usually me scrambling mentally) when getting an errant hit. Remember, there are plenty of different ways to mix someone up:
    a) High versus Low (Crouching Attacks versus Overheads or using empty jumps)
    b) Left versus Right (Wolvie B.Slash is one example)
    c) Superior Pressure that allows for Command Throws (e.g. Hulk Standing :h: vs. Gamma Tornado [:f::df::d::db::b: + :atk:])
    d) Baiting your opponent (For example, I play with Task and many people know that if they block my Shield Skills [ :b: + :h: ] xx :s: that it is very punishable. However, what I’ll do is call my Dorm Hole Assist while doing that string which makes it safe for me and TERRIBLY unsafe for my opponent if they press any buttons. What generally happens is that the opponent goes right to mashing to try and punish what appears to be a free combo and ends up getting hit by the hole. This leaves them in place nicely for me to do a hit confirm and score a combo, albeit a damage reduced combo)
    e) Dodging very readable attacks and then punishing (Dashing under super-jump height Wolvie and then punishing from other-side)
    f) Frustrate with projectiles & force them to come at you from readable angles that you punish

2. Understand what your mix-up capabilities are and play to those. For example, Spencer has ridiculous mix-ups related to a,b & c mentioned above but it requires for him to get in. This means that Spencer wants to not only get in, but also get in so he can utilize that mix-ups. That’s why you’ll almost always see people using his grapple hook to try and get in above his opponent. This allows him to use his j.:s: to try and cross-up his opponent. Then if his opponent blocks, he can then begin to threaten with his command throw. One thing I’ll do is re-create situations from playing online matches in training mode and see if I can come up with with better approaches than I did during the match in order to tighten up my ability to pressure my opponent.

3. Learn what the dominant position for your character is and work to get yourself there. Spencer is all about getting up close and personal as opposed to Dorm who wants to make sure the opponent is always as far away as possible. If you always to try to keep your dominant position, then you can focus more on offense as opposed to what your opponent can do to you. You can use the training stage with its grid to see what are safe distances. (For example, Wolvie B.Slash will only cross you up and hit you on the backside if you are an odd number of blocks away, otherwise it will whiff or it attacks frontside. I know that this isn’t the best example, but its from my most recent trip to the lab. Too bad it’s not practical to rely on it during a match.) Remember, every character (and assist combination) has a sweet spot to keep the opponent in. If you do it better than your opponent, then you’ll have the upper hand. Think of it like boxing, where people will literally spend 5 to 45 seconds just trying to get their opponent into the right position to then begin attacking.

4. Practice avoiding bad situations instead of trying to block your way through them (which is what your opponent wants) which usually leads to openings for you. For example, a lot of people love calling Sent drones from full screen and then moving towards the opponent behind the cover. Instead of going AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!, you should be salivating because you can just super-jump over the drones and then wallop Sent [bonus: drones disappear when Sent is hit]. Since the game is so slanted toward the aggressor, your better off punishing this poor approach and getting free damage on the assist.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

@BeastEG: Thanks dude, you gave me a great tip! (use Dorm’s Hole to protect Task’s Shield Skills) Lol…seems obvious but I’m a new player, so it’s still hard to me to figure all this stuff out. The rest of your advice is also good for new players.

Been trolling around for some help with my “main” team of Spencer/Dorm/Task today and ran across this post, just kinda funny that you talked about the three chars I’m trying to learn. Still trying to figure out if this team is really viable…I think one of my biggest troubles right now is figuring out good team synergy while also using the characters that I like.

Go into training and experiment, maybe you’ll find something unique to your teams synergy you can add to the arsenal. I think BeastEG said it best though, I learned a lot reading that.

Glad you liked the post guys!

Believe me Krazy, I’ve been playing my team for for 2 months and it took me getting punished about 500 times and realizing that I have assists to put it together so don’t worry about coming up with new stuff overnight. One of the best things about this game is how open it is and I thoroughly enjoy just messing around in training mode coming up with stuff to try in matches. I’m equally sad and excited to think that they will be retooling the game in UMvC3 because I wonder how my setups will be affected. On the other hand, with new characters, it means that even more stuff can be created! Half the time, I do player matches or lobby matches solely to see if things I came up with in training mode and then evaluate if it worked. Also, I don’t feel as bad about losing in these types of games because I usually go in thinking that I’m trying new stuff to test its viability as opposed to using the tried-and-true to try and win.

I’m on PSN at tag: BeastyEG if your a PS3 player and want to practice. I’m always looking to get better and am willing to practice with anyone (who isn’t a prick.) Hoping to get a tourney or two in just to test myself against other people. I’m pretty sure I’ll get annihilated, but hey, that’s how you learn right?

I’ll see if I can maybe come up with a video that demonstrates some of the stuff I’m talking about. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be as flashy or awesome as some of the stuff that others have put up, but since I’m a beginner, I’ve been focusing on this stuff exclusively, so hopefully it will help other beginners get over the hump.

Cheers!

P.S. I love Spencer (he was my anchor for a long time especially considering how demonstrably good Combofiend made him look) but I’m just a natural zoner and keep away player so I had to switch to someone who complemented my team better. Now that I’m rocking Doom, I’m loving him just as much.

@West Daniel: Thanks for the like!

No problem Beast. Unfortunately we play on different consoles, so I would shot you an invite for a game or two, but I’m an xbox player. Still, I’ll be putting this info to use.

The main thing to remember is that you have a TEAM and not just 1 character to try and get in. Utilize your assists to open your opponent up, and focus on assists that can serve a dual purpose such as opening people up and combo extension.

who’s your team?

Thanks BeastyEG, just sent you an invite on PSN. Anyone here can add me too - Gamertag = KrazyEyezKilluh. PSN = SuperTurboTurtle. I have MvC3 for both consoles. My XBox Live is expired at the moment though.

@Cillranchelllo - another good (yet seemingly obvious) advice - remember you have a team! I swear sometimes I forget that I even have P1 and P2 buttons…lol. Just last night I had a series of matches with someone, and man I got the deer-in-headlights look, just watching all the crap he was throwing at me. I really need to work on my defense, i’m slow with my blocks.

I think my playstyle is leaning towards keepaway/zoning. i don’t do well with rushdown chars (i.e. I know what I’m supposed to do with Wolvie, but I fail miserably with him). Based on what i’ve been seeing in this thread, i’m gonna start playing around with Doom on my team along with Task/Dorm and see how it goes. Doom is awesome.

@BeastyEG - your comments on UMvC3…yeah I feel the same way about needing to learn new setups and stuff for Ultimate. I’m thinking I won’t bother with learning and using the DHC glitch since it will be taken out. Can’t wait to try out the new characters though. As a new player, i’m really just still loving the fact that these games have such huge rosters. I feel like i’m starting to get over my “character identity crises” though, as I’m seeing Taskmaster as pretty much my main guy at this point. Spectator mode will be big for me too…none of my friends play FG’s, so i’m online only. I like watching SSFIV matches to see how other people play.

@West Daniel - Yeah training mode is great too. Right now I just need to get out of the lab and just keep getting whomped until I learn to play some D. Last night someone was spamming a Wesker on me and just destroying me. One match, I stopped hitting buttons and just concentrated on blocking and reacting to his teleports. I think I finally figured out he had an unblockable setup with his assist, so I thought “maybe I should jump more?” lol…

Being a scrub sucks sometimes XD but i’ll get there dammit!

Unlike Street Fighter, jumping is king in MvC3. The only thing you have to fear is left-right mixups and air throws while you’re in the air.

Here is what I know:

1. Don’t blindly rush in. It almost never works and you usually end up eating a massive combo. Just stay defensive and observe what the opponent is doing, block as best you can and wait for them to use a move with a long recovery to punish. This or you can use a lagging projectile assist in order to get in.

2. Try baiting your opponent, characters with a double jump are very good at this. What I do with Sentinel is super jump in, then I will sometimes perform a double jump to trip them up and hit them with jumping Heavy.

3. Avoid super jumping too much. It gets really predictable, really fast. Your opponent will see this coming and just intercept you with an Anti air assist or hyper (Ryu’s being the common one). Or they will just move to the other side of the screen.

4. Take note of the GTFO moves everyone has, some characters are very hard to jump in against and others are not. You need to learn everyone’s ability to repel attackers in order to map out a battle plan.

5. If they Instant block (advancing guard, sorry for BB term) stop attacking. If you don’t you leave yourself open to counter attack.

IMO this depends on a lot of things, most importantly who youre playing. are they agressive? do they hide behind assist from the word go? even if its a random online game, you can get an idea of what someones going to do from the way they position themselfs at the beginning. reading this gets easier the more you play and notice common fidgets and “tells” in players.

But more importantly, the best way to keep from loosing your point character in 9 seconds before you get to hit a button is (sorry that the best advice is the most obvious) to be on point with blocking. this, again, is something you learn from playing against people and not easy to practice in the training room.

Try both at the same time. Consider the most popular/smart opening moves for their character and just decide what they are going to do. But the whole time practice precise blocking untill you are good enough at predicting their first move to punish ON REACTION. Then jack the momentum, win really quick, and do a jig.