MVC3 information for MVC2 players (in detail, with transcription of normals)

If you’re coming from MVC2 and you want to know what to expect in MVC3, this thread is for you. I went through and collected as much information on the returning characters as I could, with the exception of the TvC characters (Ryu, Morrigan, Chun). Although I’ve tried to be as thorough as possible, I’m happy to answer any additional questions to the best of my ability. If you have more detail to add, feel free to contribute. I’d also like to thank Keits for some early help on correcting some of the details.

Disclaimer: this post may seem to have a negative slant, as many of the points are about things that are missing, things that no longer work, etc. However, this is intended as a reference for MVC2 players, and rather than try to compile an extensive list of everything new, it’s simpler to simply test things from before and verify the ones that no longer apply. This is not an article intended to bash MVC3.

General system

• At fullscreen of standard zoom, the camera will zoom out to give an extra ~33% screen real estate; this is only triggered by horizontal distance, not vertical

• Infinite protection (i.e. hit stun decay) kicks in pretty fast on repetitive chains; standard anti-Sentinel jump infinite with Wolvie ([j.A,A,B,B,C] xN) kicks in between 4th A,A, at hit 16

• You cannot airdash higher than super jump peak (you will simply stall)

• Normal jump has SJ properties; you can whiff j.A and block on the way down, or attack again (this also enables special->super cancel on normal jump). Notably, this means that guard break should not be possible in this game.

• Negative edge does not work in this game; specials/supers only work on button press

• No more reversal jumping after knockdown to avoid lows; you will get hit (in previous Marvel games, you can reversal jump up or forward on knockdown and avoid meaty lows)

• No more superjump cancelling normals (?) (I’m not 100% positive on this, but I couldn’t get it to work)

• With some limited exception, sweeps don’t really “knock down,” they mini-launch (auto-roll on recovery, so no OTG after sweep, only juggle)

• Pushing back during forward dash (or forward during backdash) will not cancel it; you cannot cancel dash directly into blocking; however, you can cancel directly from dash to jump to standing block by pushing u/b (if there is an attack on screen)

• 8-way airdash can be done with joystick (double tap any direction)

• Unlike the old launch, sj.LP,LK,MP,MK,HP aircombo from previous Marvel games, MVC3 B&B aircombo is launch, sj.B,B,C,S. Many characters’ j.A comes out at an inconvenient angle for easy aircombos.

• Air A and B usually double chain into themselves (switching hands/feet, like Wolvie’s old s.MPs)

• Super armor is a move attribute, not a general character attribute (e.g. Hulk s.C, Sentinel s.B)

• Beam projectiles (at least for former MVC2 characters) now hit all characters in their path (a la Shinkuu Hadoken) unless nullified by another projectile; beams do not lose hits based on number of targets hit

• Whiffed air normals cannot be cancelled into airdash

• Flight lasts approximately 2.1 seconds (that is not a typo); for comparison, in MVC2, Doom and IM’s flights last 6+ sec, Magneto’s is 8+, Storm and Sentinel’s are 12+

• S cancels flight (and you fall at full speed during the S)

• Tags must be blocked high

• Assist is invincible during the taunt animation after assisting

• Assists can be called during flight if you didn’t start flight from a super jump

• Assist relaunch juggle still works the same (just slower) when opponent point character is on the field

• Double snap is still technically possible, but it’s much harder to do on reaction, due to lack of OTG options. Furthermore, when you relaunch assist, they just fall out after a very short time (I only got 2 launches with the setup I used)

Character specific

Wolverine
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MP (s.A is second hit)
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP (mini-launch)
c.C- new move (sweep)
S- s.HK
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.MP (j.A is second hit; you can do B B A chain)
j.C- new move (looks like j.LP but at an upward angle)
j.S- j.FP
command normals:
d/f+B- old d/f+HP
j.d+C- MSH/XSF j.d+MK (hits through air-to-ground like Rogue’s, causes ground bounce air-to-air)

of note:

• assists are Berserker Barrage, Tornado Claw, Berserker Slash
  • Berserker Slash (QCB+attack) will turn around before attacking if you “teleport” past them

Hulk
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MP
s.C- s.FP (causes ground bounce)
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK
S- c.FP
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.LP
j.C- j.FP
j.S- new move (looks like air version of s.HP, also causes ground bounce)

of note:

• Gamma Wave is now a charge move and goes fullscreen, fast
  • Gamma Charge works somewhat like Talbain’s dives; you can chain two
  • Gamma Tornado is a grab (not semi-throw anymore), C version is anti-air
  • Hulk can only cancel dashes into jumping (no attacking/blocking/ducking, so no wavedash either)
  • s.C has super armor, and will absorb pretty much any single non-super hit (it absorbs Ryu’s Shoryuken)

Iron Man
s.A- s.LP
s.B- War Machine’s s.MK
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MK
c.C- modified c.HP (down-angled; travels about 80% of the screen)
S- slightly modified s.HK (more angled instead of straight up)
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.LK
j.C- j.HP (still 3-way)
j.S- new move (looks like air version of s.HP, angled down)

of note:

• assists are Unibeam, Repulsor Blast, Smart Bomb
  • has a double jump; cannot airdash and double jump in the same jump
  • can chain j.f+C into j.u+C or j.d+c
  • new level 3 super is a rush attack that initiates auto-combo cutscene on hit (a la Weapon X)
  • air normals are not airdash-cancellable
  • diveknee is gone
  • C repulsor blast can cancel into a small explosion with short recovery; combos into Proton Cannon in corner and level 3 super from anywhere

Captain America
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MK (can still chain 2)
s.C- s.HK
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK
S- c.HP
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.MP, but with the non-shield hand (interestingly, when you do j.A->A or j.B->B, Cap switches hands, but the shield also switches to the hand not punching)
j.C- j.u+HK
j.S- j.HP
command normals:
j.d+C is old j.d+HK, j.u+C is old j.LK

of note:

• cannot double jump
  • cartwheel goes farther
  • Hyper Charging Star has a very short projectile absorbing window (e.g. it can only absorb one wave from HSF)

Doom
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.LK
s.C- s.HK
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK (blockable this time!)
S- c.HP
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.MP (2-hits)
j.C- j.HP
j.S- j.HK (the angle is about halfway those of his old j.HK and j.d+HK)
command normals:
s.f+C is old s.MK (launches, can hit crouchers now)
s.b+C is Hidden Missiles (mini-War Destroyer); fires from 1-8 depending on how much you mash it, and these do track

of note:

• assists are Plasma Beam, Hidden Missiles, Molecular Shield
  • can only cancel dashes into jumping (no attacking/blocking/ducking, so no wavedash either)
  • can cancel ground normals (hit or blocked) into dashes; not quite as useful as it would be if he could attack during dashes
  • only one set of Photons per jump
  • j.C (butter gun) does not go full screen; goes about 80%ish if you are flying at ground level
  • Plasma Beam (yellow beam) acts more like Ice Beam now; does 4-12 hits depending on strength and distance; yellow beam runaway still works (notwithstanding airdash height restrictions)

Spider-Man
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MK
s.C- s.HK (no longer an air launcher)
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MK (no longer a mini-launcher)
c.C- c.HK
S- s.MP
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.MK
j.C- new move (looks like Guile j.HK)
j.S- j.HK

of note:

• 2nd hit of Spider Sting causes ground bounce
  • Maximum Spider is MUCH faster, triggers cutscene on first hit, but has far less priority
  • one Web Swing per jump
  • Web Throw is fullscreen now
  • Ultimate Web Throw is anti-air grab
  • opponent is airborne status while in web cocoon from Web Ball

Magneto
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MK
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK
S- c.HP
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.MK
j.C- new move (looks like air version of s.HP)
j.S- j.HP

of note:

• assists are EM Disruptor, Hyper Grav, Force Field
  • no longer has j.d+LK
  • EM Disruptor is 1/2/3 hits depending on strength
  • every strength Force Field is shockwave pillar (no more bubble)
  • Shockwave no longer causes FS (I don’t think this game has horizontal FS)

Storm
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MK
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK (no longer launches; is now a sweep)
S- s.HK
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.MK
j.C- new move (looks like her old HK throw animation)
j.S- j.HP

of note:

• you cannot float while attacking, nor can you float after an attack (or an airdash)
  • it’s a separate tap-and-hold to float (you can’t just continue to hold up when you jump)
  • you cannot do anything on the way down after a Lightning Attack (including block)
  • Lightning Storm is a contained ball now (like Kikosho); it does not shoot out any projectiles
  • Lightning Storm does not knock down
  • vertical Typhoon does not track; button controls distance
  • horizontal Typhoon’s distance is controlled by strength

Sentinel
s.A- s.LK
s.B- s.MP
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LP
c.B- c.HK
c.C- c.HP
S- s.HK
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.MK
j.C- j.HK
j.S- j.HP

of note:

• assists are upward ramming drones, bombing drones, downward rocket punch; none have armor
  • ramming drones are not manually steerable; A is downward angle, B is upward angle
  • bombing drones (C version) do not have controllable bomb delay
  • s.B has super armor, and will absorb pretty much any single non-super hit; it also has a strange projectile-absorbing property (I absorbed a C Unibeam and took 0 damage)
  • s.C chains to c.C
  • mouth lasers are 5 hits each (7-10 total if chained, depending on distance)
  • Rocket Punch does not go full screen (goes about 75%)
  • Rocket Punch is not retractable
  • has a new command throw (DP+attack), followup combo is guaranteed in corner

Felicia
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MP
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LP
c.B- c.MK
c.C- c.HK
S- s.HK
j.A- j.LP
j.B- j.MK
j.C- new move (looks like airborne c.B)
j.S- j.HP
command normals:
s.b+C is old b.HK
d/f+B is new move (looks like a c.MP) that hits OTG and is jump cancellable

of note:

• assists are Cat Spike, Sand Scratch, roll->slide
  • attack+S is a move where she dashes into the screen (z-axis) and back; basically, a dashing sidestep
  • she can no longer wall grab on super jump (normal jump only)

Tron
s.A- s.LP
s.B- s.MP
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MK
c.C- c.HK
S- c.HP
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.MK
j.C- j.HP
j.S- new move (looks just like Hulk’s j.S and causes ground bounce like it, too)
command normals:
s.f+C is old s.HK (boulder throw)

of note:

• assists are s.B, s.f+C, drill (no more rings)
  • new command throw (QCB+attack); C version has less range than normal throw

Akuma
s.A- s.LP
s.B- new move; looks like SFA3 V-ISM b+HK
s.C- s.HP
c.A- c.LK
c.B- c.MP
c.C- c.HK
S- c.HP
j.A- j.LK
j.B- j.MK
j.C- new move (looks like a hit from Sean’s Tornado Kick)
j.S- j.HP
command normals:
divekick is d+B in air; 1-hit only, hits through like Rogue’s, cannot special or super cancel
hopkick is s.f+C and is a mini-launcher

of note:

• assists are FB, tatsu, demon flip->divekick
  • demon flip (DP+attack) can choose ground bounce (A), divekick (B), or air FB © in midair (did not find a throw option)
  • teleport into corner does not end teleport
  • Raging Demon is fullscreen and faster than Cyber Akuma’s; command is A,A,f,B,C
  • FB supers can pick between lots of FBs (a la MVC2 air FB super) or Ryu beam-style; hold C during super flash for beam (beam is not aimable)

i like this thread! :tup:

subscribing!

Although aimed at MvC2 hardcores, I found this very informative.

good shit man :rock:

wow, thanks once again spider-dan

Haven’t really checked but either way there is no one here who only played MvC2 then go directly to MvC3. Though it’s in the arcade so of course I tried it for kicks. But here’s a bunch of random questions of slight interest if your eagar to answer them.

Can characters cross up easier?

Is it possible to tech all grabs?

Is it possible to hit Akuma in raging demon or will you fall into the ultra?

Is it possible to raging demon when someone is blocking an assist attack?

Does Felicia still have that sand super that hits everything on the ground in-front or back?

Is it possible for Wesker to get hit when teleporting?

Can Morrigan get hit when using the bar assist?

Are there any character’s that play along the lines of say/ Fei Long, Makoto, Yun, Yang?

What is the best way to beat a person jumping over you using an anti air assist that also hits the ground up that will hit if you stay on the ground or hit if you jump in the air?

What is the best way to beat a person randomly flying very high out of the screen spamming assist and most likely Sentinel kicks downward constantly?

What is the best way to get past beam spammers and not try to jump over it running into Ironman’s cannon which we’ll know they’ll spam when we get closer and you’ll only take more chip damage and knocked back again.

Seeing how assist are invincible at the end of their attack, are they vulnerable before it or is it just another throw crap across the screen and try to do something about it?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Fake rep

Good stuff SpiderDan…this should be stickied.

Is it generally accurate to say that assists can be more easily stuffed before attacking but less easily punished after attacking in MvC3 compared to MvC2?

Agreed. And it’s helpful for more than just the MvC2 hardcores, too.

Not sure how to answer this. Non-airdash crossups are not really a significant part of Marvel, because it’s rare that you have the opportunity to set one up against an opponent without them being able to get out of the way fairly easily (usually rolling).

I believe it’s the same as usual; normal grabs can be teched, command grabs cannot.

I don’t understand the question.

It’s a grab, so that should be escapable by holding up while blocking.

No.

Do you mean before or after?

Those characters don’t really play alike?

I guess maybe Zero might be what you’re looking for, or Wolverine.

Example?

Remember, unlike MVC2, AAA (anti-air assist) does not have high-priority in this game, and is easily stuffed.

Sentinel flight lasts 2 seconds. There shouldn’t be much of that.

Yes. Assists generally do not work well as close-quarters defense (except Haggar, I think).

hey thx for all this helpful info!

Great thread. Should get a sticky for sure.

Spider-Dan quick questions:
Apparently MvC3 does not allow you to grab incoming characters (i.e. a character coming in from a snap back or a partners death), unless the incoming character commits to an attack. If they attack then they can be grabbed.

First, can you confirm this?
Second, can you possibly get around this by treating it like an MvC2-style guard break? Can you get the incoming character to block something like a jumping :l: and then grab the character before he hits the ground (and after the block stun has worn off). I’d be very interested to see if this works with characters that have anti air throws (She Hulk, Haggar, Spencer, etc)–so the whole sequence would be:

jumping :l: (blocked)–>AA throw after your character lands

It may work with air to air throws as well. I’ve just been wondering if hitting the incoming dude with an attack will remove his throw invulnerability. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve had limited time to play between workdays, but something curious with Amaterasu (and may be a general engine limitation):

I use B, C, c.C and then jump cancel to start my combos with her. B, C, c.C combos, and A, B, C combos. But why can’t I do A, B, C, c.C? The c.C just refuses to come out if I’ve already done A, B, C.

Yeah, I stickied this as soon as I saw it. Smart technical player talking MvC3 works well for me. :tup:

sticked and nominated for article.:tup:

I think he’s asking if you can stuff a demon… is it projectile or full invincible?

Is that two real seconds or two game “seconds”

Two real seconds.

Another note: when you snap someone out, their next character cannot assist, tag, counter, or DHC to either character until snapback effect wears.

Gonna give this a through read. Thanks man…

Love this thread