MvC3: Welcome to Die: The Mag-FREAKING-neto thread

I hope it replaces the counter. I haven’t seen anyone use that shit as an assist, ever.

So I’ve been playing the team of Mag/Wesker/Sent (in a variety of orders) for a week or 2 now, and I’m running in to a couple problems.

First off, I’m horrible at opening up combos with Mag. I know some basic ideas for mixups, such as wesker assist + tri jump L, but no matter what I’ve tried so far, it’s just too predictable and I almost never hit it. I dont have any “reliable” mixups or openers, when I play mag it feels as if I got speedy mobility but my normals come out so slow.

Because of this problem, Magneto is by far my weakest link on the team. So I switched up to Magneto 2nd with Wesker first typically. This works slightly better for me - his assist works for Wesker effectively like OTG assists do for other chars (allows me to continue his BnB) and since I usually have enough meter to Gravity Squeeze by the time I get to Mag - this at least some advantage to having him on my team over other characters. But still, he’s the weakest link and I need some “reliable” openers for him.

My second problem: For some reason when im using Mag, I’m screwing up my assists royally. Seems like every single time I use them both fighters are getting caught. Going for a high/low mixup with Mag/Wesker - both caught. Call drones w/ Disruptor as coverage - both caught. Even if I’m Wesker on point and going for a quick mixup with Disruptor - both caught. This isnt helping matters any with my issues with opening with Mag.

It feels like my openers for my team overall are slipping… Every match I’m going for a big comeback. Ironically I’m still holding about a 50% win percentage, but aside from a handful of matches it’s ALL comebacks. So I know if I get past my opener problem, I’ll be in good shape - I’ve spent enough time in practice that I can hold it down once I get started - it’s just a matter of hitting an opener or mixup…

Any advice to help me get past this slump?

I’m a horrible mag/wes/sen too but anyways, this is what I’ve been working on so far:

• resets in the corner with wesker (from hyper grav loop). this actually trained me to know exactly when hitstun is gonna kick in and I can go for a reset. at around 30 to 40 hits, I jab them after a hyper grav, immediately call wesker, then super jump plink addf j.H. this way, if they stay grounded, they get hit with an unblockable into a free combo. I’m pretty sure it works with just plink addf j.L which would be faster, and I’m working on that too. another simple reset into option select throw is just trijump L, trijump H off a hyper grav.

• making sent drones safe. I’ve been messing around in the lab a lot and I found that magnetic blast actually gives you a ridiculous amount of frame advantage on block (+22). so unless your opponent is mashing, at a certain distance you can call sent, magnetic blast L, and the drones put your opponent in blockstun long enough for you to start pressuring them with your trijumps. EM disruptor I believe is around -15 on block, so at about jump range, don’t use it to cover sent.

• normal jump addf j.L. the coolest thing about this is that it’s so fast it’s like a poke, safe on block, and it’s an instant overhead. you get around 18 frames of frame advantage on block so with the drones keeping your opponent at bay, mags can easily create high low mixups on his own. it’s tricky to get it consistent on both P1 and P2 sides, but that’s nothing practice can’t solve.

http://www.neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10515
^Mags’ frame data. this should go up in the first post imo.

Thanks for the response.

On the hyper grav reset, interesting. In practice I was experimenting with mixing in Sent Drones to relaunch in to some form of combo, since an OTG isnt as neccessary with the grav loop, but I’ll give the reset a try.

Sent drones idea sounds really good, a bit restrictive on range but that could actually work out, as blast leaves you in the perfect range for a mixup.

On the triangle jump L “poke”… That’s the main mixup I’ve been trying (combined with Wesker assist for the unblockable) since it’s the fastest one I know of, but considering it’s range I havent had much success - if they attempt to block it works out nicely, but instead of blocking my opponents usually try to counter attack when I’m at that range, and turns it in to an unsafe situation for me (and my assist if I try the unblockable).

I really feel like these problems would not be as much of an issue if I could cover the Drones safely, as once the drones are out I can use Mags mobility to get in there and keep my opponent guessing while they are stunned. It’s just a matter of preventing myself from losing both chars at once, lol.

Thanks again. Any other advice would be appreciated =)

This may or may not be old news, but I “discovered” a fun little reset w/ Mags: After doing a fly loop, you can unfly, then hit jL on the way down, which puts them into a flip, then jump up and air grab.

this might be a super late response, but assuming you’re doing this at the lowest height or close to it… if they’re hitting you out of this, they’re probably not pressing the buttons on reaction but rather when you’re in proximity since its far too fast to aa on reaction. at this point you should play footsies and throw fakes in to bait their whiff and punish it (likely with a trijump L to the dome into a death combo)

Who do you guys think is the top 3 worst matchups for Magneto? Personally, I can’t deal with Amaterasu for shit.

worst matchup would probably be either doom wolverine or akuma.

#1 Molecular Shield and Missiles are a bitch

#2 BERSERKER SLASH HERP DERP

#3 HEHE I CHUCK PLASMA LIKE A FAGGOT. lol

You can disruptor spam Doom missile calling for free easy damage from full screen.
Berserker slash with no assist is okay to deal with.

Berserker slash with drones though is just retarded!
How do you deal with slash/drones? Before drones get on the screen you can disruptor sent (carefully while watching Wolverine), but once the drones are on screen (ground is dangerous territory), all you can do is super jump away and dash across the screen while trying to avoid getting dive kick/air throw O/S’d by Wolverine.

How are people converting off a landed Jam Session Assist? I find it hard to get a consistent launcher.

stryder: i actually just Heavy EMD when i spot an assist with wolverine. it works, but i just hate wolverine for the sake of hate

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

Holy shit, thanks.

You know, for such a widely played character A LOT of people know really well in depth, this sub form is a fucking mess.

Hopefully that can change with this template

Awesome!

That thread was definitely the most well maintained and best organized that I’ve seen. The other forums would be amazing if they got as much attention as Dorms =)

most people i’ve seen use hyper grav + follow up

only now did I realize Mags actually says “Magnetic” before doing the shockwave super and not “Take a hit”. 5 months. fuck.

Somebody’s been hittin the blunt a little too hard lately lol

lol I seriously gotta get a new TV in time for Ultimate. still stuck on an old SD TV from '03 if I’m not mistaken. at least it’s lagless lol. hell it makes Marvel 2 look good and that game is 10 years old hahaha

anyway, has anyone seen the new UMVC3 moves being used outside of zoning? in combos, mixups, etc? all I see are people spamming like day 1 Mags players chucking that estaka

Not really. I’ve seen one Magneto player use Fatal Attraction on an incoming character pressing a button into jH kill, but that was about it.

Personally, I think the magnetism moves are a bit overrated, they’re definitely VERY good, but not something that’s going to overcentralize the metagame.

Magneto + Peekaboo assist is going to be real fun.

Mind = Blown.

No joke.