My fights from last night

vega

I make a few mistakes (didn’t charge enough, or combo when I needed to) but it’s ok, I was drunk,

If I could get any advice or comments that’d be helpful. I want to improve my game. I know I cartwheel too much but… I think I play Vega as he is intended to be played as. An unpredictable dick.

And Capcom doesn’t care about Vega. Thats okay though, Vega cares not for them. They aren’t handsome.

[media=youtube]wRQF3MP65_g[/media]

Even though you say you were drunk/claim to be tricky, your Vega seems to be quite random with little to no safe jumps or much in the way of combos. Not sure how viable it would be in actual tournaments against those that know how to punish… :expressionless:
I think you’ve got your normals down and spacing decent. There’s way too many random non-EX fba, unsafe slides and like you said, flips.

I like to play a somewhat offensive Vega too so I think you should do more bnbs like cr.mk>cr.mp>ex fba or CH>st and set up safe jumps or mix ups that way. Your punishes mainly consist of slides so I’d suggest going for max damage combos instead. Seems like a promising Vega if you put more effort into it.

My head hurts.

Sweep, while nice and all were Oki still an extremely viable tactic in this game, is not the best use of damage extension for punishes.

vs Sagat
Were that Sagat even remotely smart, he would have ultra’d your flip shenanigans and even faster the EX SHC you threw blindly into his block.
Also, anyone with an inkling of sense would have picked up a hell of a lot faster on your Lolflip > EX Loldive. You’re playing online warriors, you can get away with the stupid shit here, but when you go to tournaments, you won’t get far with that.

vs Ryu.
I was head exploding when I saw you do this to the Gat and hoped it was an input error, but jfc, do NOT roll like that over someone’s wakeup.
WhyAreYouFlippingWhyAreYouFlippingWHYAREYOUFLIPPING?! And why did you just wakeup flip kick when he’s NOWHERE near your range?
Don’t reset after a cosmic heel. If you’re too execution poor/lazy to learn CH > ST, just CH > Sweep.
Stop whiffing focus aswell, you’re ASKING to be hit. You have NO reason to be doing focus AT ALL half a screen away. You’re not even playing footsies with it and fishing to land.
Did I tell you to stop walldiving? No? Stop it.

Vs. E. Ryu
See Ryu because my head hurts.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but not only have you ticked me off by making a new thread when we already have a Matador Video Thread.
But to make a thread to try and post your skill when you, in the words of Akuma, have a long way to go is making my head throb with frustration.

Take what I said as you please, I am not trying to flame you, but I have also never been one to sugar coat my opinion either.
Or take my advice with a grain of salt as far as I’ve taken your “I was drunk” excuse.

I am just going to call it as I see it.

90% of what you got away with in your video is due to online and lag inherent in it. You don’t do any combos even when you could and should and tbh, I didn’t think it was possible to play this character worse than I. Isn’t the first time I am proven wrong about something but this is sad.

tldr: you are totally random and only got away with it because it was online

yeah, you dont know how to play vega or sf4 in general, kudos on 4000 points though :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t the points never drop until you reach 5k?

As for the video, it was quite entertaining. Unfortunately not in a good way. Why did you post that here, in a new thread especially if you were to “drunk” to play “good”? Next time be more humble, seriously!

As a conclusion: I think you do not “play Vega as he is intended to be played as”. Far from it.

<blockquote class=“Quote” rel=“star”>Don’t the points never drop until you reach 5k?
</blockquote>

They do, which is why I can’t get to 5k :stuck_out_tongue: (Lag and I don’t mix, I totally freeze up like, 90% of the time)

ALSO THIS NEW FORUM LAYOUT FKN SUCKS.

Francys Pai just did more to make me stop playing like a jackass than much has in a while and wasn’t even giving me critique.

hey everyone thanks for the honest advice, I am taking it seriously. I enjoyed the Lolflip to LolEXFBA. Thats exactly what it is - I use the lol flip to mask me charging or to “appear busy” if I’m going to use a focus attack. <div><br></div><div>I really need to work on linking and though it doesn’t sound fun, it’ll be worth it. </div><div><br></div><div>One common thing I’m seeing here though is “oh dude u got away with that coz lag” even though you have no basis for that. There was ZERO lag in those games. I have a 20mbps connection and only play other green opponents. Those were legit matches, sorry Stabicron.</div><div><br></div><div>Francy -</div><div><br></div><div>The rolling to a character on wakeup is a huge gamble because I am helpless if they bust out their ultra/super in time. I try not to do this if the opponent seems to be doing it on wakeups, but otherwise it does some great blocking damage, and if they are going to try to trick me with an overhead attack, dash away, or focus attack I have them.</div><div><br></div><div>And I know I do a lot of random things - the non ex’ed FBA I do at the beginning of most games is to see specifically if the opponent is going to do into focus attack - I hate that stuff and won’t use it against a player that uses focus attacks. </div><div><br></div><div>I use the flips to get away/charge safely and it works pretty well and is annoying - gets into my opponents mind. Works on some opponents, others get totally punished. <br>The flash kick move I do like that is random, but I do it when the opponent is slightly out of jumping distance because I’m GUESSING he just might want to jump in and attack and by the time I’m in the air kicking from wake up he’ll finally be in range of that kick and I can juggle him with the ex version. That one is guessing and tbh, not a great tactic I use a lot.</div><div><br></div><div>I’ve been playing Street Fighter for over 20 years but never really researched the finer points like frame counting, safe jumps, and am just recently working on not gettin beaten up by kara grabs. Thanks for the advice everyone, and if one of the mods wants to move this to the matador video thread where it apparently is supposed to be, that’d be great.</div>

Don’t throw good advice back in people’s faces.

no I’m not, Francys Pai did a great job critically analyzing everything as I would want, I was just offering my motives for why I play the way I do.<br><br>Much respect to his advice!

but saying I won because of lag though, that IS insulting considering there was no lag in any of those matches.

<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/82484/BeautyAlwaysWin">BeautyAlwaysWin</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>hey everyone thanks for the honest advice, I am taking it seriously. I enjoyed the Lolflip to LolEXFBA. Thats exactly what it is - I use the lol flip to mask me charging or to “appear busy” if I’m going to use a focus attack. <div><br></div><div>I really need to work on linking and though it doesn’t sound fun, it’ll be worth it. </div><div><br></div><div>One common thing I’m seeing here though is “oh dude u got away with that coz lag” even though you have no basis for that. There was ZERO lag in those games. I have a 20mbps connection and only play other green opponents. Those were legit matches, sorry Stabicron.</div><div><br></div><div>Francy -</div><div><br><b>[1]</b><br></div><div>The rolling to a character on wakeup is a huge gamble because I am helpless if they bust out their ultra/super in time. I try not to do this if the opponent seems to be doing it on wakeups, but otherwise it does some great blocking damage, and if they are going to try to trick me with an overhead attack, dash away, or focus attack I have them.</div><div><br><b>[2]</b><br></div><div>And I know I do a lot of random things - the non ex’ed FBA I do at the beginning of most games is to see specifically if the opponent is going to do into focus attack - I hate that stuff and won’t use it against a player that uses focus attacks. </div><div><br><b>[3]</b><br></div><div>I use the flips to get away/charge safely and it works pretty well and is annoying - gets into my opponents mind. Works on some opponents, others get totally punished. <br><br><b>[4]</b><br>The flash kick move I do like that is random, but I do it when the opponent is slightly out of jumping distance because I’m GUESSING he just might want to jump in and attack and by the time I’m in the air kicking from wake up he’ll finally be in range of that kick and I can juggle him with the ex version. That one is guessing and tbh, not a great tactic I use a lot.</div><div><br><b>[5]</b><br></div><div>I’ve been playing Street Fighter for over 20 years but never really researched the finer points like frame counting, safe jumps, and am just recently working on not gettin beaten up by kara grabs. Thanks for the advice everyone, and if one of the mods wants to move this to the matador video thread where it apparently is supposed to be, that’d be great.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I’ve added numbers in bold to your post, They match the numbers in brackets to my posts.<br><br><b>[1]</b><br>If you want something safer if you absolutely feel the impulse to roll, dash up, jump, j.HP, cl.HP xx H.Roll.<br>You got your chip, your pressure and good spacing after it.<br>This is assuming, however, that all of your opponents are stupid and won’t DP your sorry ass. Since that Ryu could have actually done that if he’d reversal’d. He has invul, you don’t.<br><br>Why on earth would someone wakeup overhead? I can understand on YOUR wakeup, yeah, but no. No one is going to wake up WITH an overhead. They might backdash, mash DP or block. These are your options:<br>Versus DP/Wakeup ultra/wakeup whatever normal/special.<br>Stand there. Seriously. I stand JUST outside of DP range and whiff an attack just before they get up. You’d be shocked at how many people fall for this and try to DP you only for it to fly away from you and give you a free punish.<br>However, this requires knowing your spacing, your frames aswell as your opponents spacing on their DPs. You’ll get it the more you do it. I don’t even think about it anymore, I just do it.<br><br>Backdash?<br>Option select that ass. I played a Yun last night and hit them 3 times in a row with a cosmic heel on wakeup because I option selected it and they wouldn’t stop back dashing. A few hours practicing it in training mode to get the input down;<br>crlp (crHK/df.HK) crlp/crmp. (you ALMOST plink the crHK/d.HK, your inputs should look like this:<br><br>crLP<br>crHK<br>crLP<br><br>In training mode, if done right, the crHK will NOT come out upon not backdashing. However if you set your dummy up to do the OS input and you then backdash. if it comes out with a slide, you’ve got it. Now keep practicing.<br><br>Block?<br>Well, this is a no brainer. You’ve got frame traps to pressure and a kara throw to make them panic. You also have an overhead at your disposal. You can make Vega’s oki pretty scary if you mix it up right (Corpsehopping too, but again, you really have to not be predictable with it.)<br><br>-----<br><b>[2]</b><br>Why not? You can grab people with walldive. Almost everyone unless you’re me, uses focus (Seriously, I don’t unless I’m playing as Bison), so you’ve left yourself a little option-less there.<br>Non-Ex walldive is OK in bits. I use it every now and then as a reminder to my opponent that yes, this does exist, yes, I will use it if you’re dumb enough to get grabbed by it. <br>Same goes for crossup EX sky high claw over someone’s wakeup. If they block, I’ll stop it, if they don’t, well, give me a reason to stop and I will.<br><br><br>-----<br><b>[3]</b><br>Blocking and reacting is safer than flips will ever be. <br>The only time I use flip is PPP to get away from Cody’s ultra 2 if I’m at a risk of being chipped for KO (and is one of the few times that I will mash something).<br>Charging safely? You’re a Vega player, charging should be automatic to you. You jump, you start charging, you play footsies, you’re charging, you’re on the receiving end of a block string or the instigator of a block string, you bet your damned ass you should be charging.<br><br>—<br><b>[4]</b><br>…EX? What a waste of meter. You can Heavy > Heavy if you AA someone with flip kick. Save your meter for something better.<br><br>—<br><b>[5]</b><br>You don’t NEED to frame count to be good at this game, but it is very useful if you do as it can help if you don’t know a matchup but you know frame data. I’ve skirted by a few matchups because I knew their characters frame data and what was punishable and so winged it on that knowledge + footsies.<br>You should be doing the kara grabbing, not the other way around.<br><br><br>P.S. I believe you’re looking for “her/she” when you are reffering to my advice ;)<br>

LAHDGLVN.LDKC WHAT IS WITH THIS NEW FORUM CODE, JFC, THIS IS RIDICULOUS.<br>

Damn Francys you should really continue your blog even if you “don’t play any more” no reason to keep your knowledge to yourself :-)<br><br>

Hah, I still hang around the forums because I still have some knowledge left to give and no time to really work on my blog. So instead of doing it blog by blog, it’s easier to just answer as it goes. <br>I’m not the best on things like, say, matchup specific things, since my matchup knowledge isn’t actually all that broad. I know the theory around the matchups that I’m not familiar with and the frame data and just let my footsies and reactions carry me XD. It does usually work, so I can’t really complain. <br><br>I still play online in bursts. I’ll spend maybe an hour or two a month now when I’m having a bit of an art block and what to let out my frustration. <br>Your skill doesn’t really leave you when you sink in so much time (almost 4 years now =/) into something. I have lost SOME of my reactions, like I hesitate on certain ultra punishes, but after like, 3 or 4 games, they tend to come back.<br>

I love pai’s critic posts,  especially since i read her posts as shouting in an english accent, wich i do not even know she has or not.

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/14858/Emersion">Emersion</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I love pai’s critic posts,  especially since i read her posts as shouting in an english accent, wich i do not even know she has or not.</div>
</blockquote>

Laughs My accent is a tint of Welsh, as I’m from Wales, not England :P<br>Ask Eternal Blaze or Rugalitarian, they’ve both had a conversation with me in person haha. <br><br>The shouting part though, not far off :P<br>