My First AE tourney experience

Long story short, it was definitely not what I expected.

I showed up at an AE tourney today because I’ve always wanted to compete at something at a high level. I figured a good place to start would be with local weeklies.

During casuals, I noticed nobody was really playing their mains except for me (I main Chun-Li). I’ve tried learning Fei Long, Makoto, and Viper but I was getting bodied left and right when I wasn’t using chun.

When tournament time comes, I go 0-2 but it was more like I lost the match rather than my opponent beating me. My first opponent mained a Dee Jay that I straight up bodied (stun in the first round, P in the second). Then he decided to go with a counterpick that he was comfortable with so he chose Blanka. Almost the same result: I bodied him the first round, second round it comes down to the wire and I drop my corner juggle U1 and he kills me with punish ultra. The match at that point would be in his favor as at that point I was just infuriated and got even more frustrated that I kept getting hit by the same mistakes I was making.

My second match was against a Zangief. Again I body this guy to the ground so he switches his character to Dudley. I actually have a lot of Dudley practice so I just smile when he picked him. My footsies were probably the best they have ever been as I was getting pokes in left and right. When it comes time to seal the deal, I drop my U2 juggle. He wakes up to block it and literally has a magic pixel to survive. Then this is where the fight turns around as he has enough firepower to end the round. After this he started nailing his 300+ damage combos and I just keep getting hit by them.

I know Chun-Li inside and out. I know which normals to use and when to use them. Unfortunately, it’s actually fairly common that I drop an ultra juggle which usually ends up with me losing the round/match. I know pro players drop combos and ultras all the time but what is it about them that allows them to keep their composure after not sealing the deal?

Also what is it going to take to get up to the professional level? I’m not in the strongest scene around (like NY/NJ or Cali) but some players aren’t either yet they compete and place at the very top (i.e. Wolfkrone).

The pros have the nerves of steel and have long passed the point of jitters thanks to their experience, so rarely do they show emotion or reaction if ever they botch. From what I’ve seen, to be a tourney pro is to invest lots of time (e.g. perfecting things, looking for technologies and punishes in training mode) and exp fighting better players on practically a daily basis.

Sorry to hear about that as well. As a fellow Chun mainer I can definitely relate. Ultra drops are what cost me my recent tourney as well. :lol: :sad: I can do it fine in training and casuals, but a tourney setting is definitely something different.

Nothing else left to do but train some more and hope it doesn’t happen at the next meet I suppose.

Experience.

Also, no offense but if this was your first tournament (possibly your first offline?) experience … then you don’t “know Chun-Li inside and out.” I don’t mean that as an insult at all … just that you will new opponents, new styles, and more experienced players in a tournament setting.

Don’t get discouraged by going 0-2 in your first tournament. Shit I’ve been to at least a dozen tournaments and have gone 0-2 more often than not. Keep going, keep getting gamertags of the people you meet, ask about offline sessions. If you want to play on a competitive level then you have to be competitive and do everything you can to make sure you’re going to have a leg up on your opponents.

What I meant by this was on paper. I know what loses and what beats out stuff but obviously in the heat of a match I react differently and make mistakes.

I’ve always been good at analyzing mistakes and making adjustments accordingly but for some reason, I find it difficult to change my play style in AE. I found that it was even more difficult doing so after getting frustrated for dropping ultras.

Oh, come tourney time, you’ll find that on paper and in practice/actuality are very different things. The other guys’ exp and skill level come into play for one. Taking vids of your matches will definitely help in going over your steps and remembering/pinpointing what you did wrong.

Yup, don’t be discouraged. I’ve been to probably 5-6+ meets now, and two of the last three were the few where I didn’t go 0-2. You’ll get better with time and dedication. :tup: