My game is degenerating at a rapid pace

Been out of SF for a long time, but it’s like riding a bike…or so it seemed when I got HDR on the PS3. Took me a few matches to get the feeling back, but I was able to hold my own for a while. It took a couple days before I started winning some online matches, but it came. I always try to play against players I know are better then I am, because I won’t improve if I don’t…but I know when I am vastly overmatched…Elkipor and RenoMD spring to mind…I don’t try to avoid them, but I don’t expect to win much against them. Monday, I got on a little hot streak with Zangief and was feeling pretty good. I was playing some guys who are closer to my skill level at the moment. Since then, nothing but frustration. Bad losses, perfected many, many times. I’ve had big leads and blown them. I know someone is baiting me for a Super, and I fall for it for some dumb reason. My timing is very off, combos are not coming out…I fall for shit I KNOW is coming. I don’t know how to shake the funk…I mainly play Zangief, Sagat and DJ, occasionally I play Ken and Guile. If get a royal beating from Bison, Blanka, Honda and sometimes Chun-Li.

Any advice? Help…please…

Lots of people go through slumps. Just remember anxiety to get out of slumps can make them last longer.

Try not to take it too serious. It’s not like this game is paying your bills. Its HDR, shit happens. Lol. I agree with pherai. The more you worry about it the worse it may get.

HD Remix can be such a frustrating game, especially for Zangief players. I mean, just by picking Zangief, almost every match is way out of your favor. You’re gonna lose a lot, get kept out a lot, etc…even after you get good. So just focus on walking forward and blocking stuff, and try to look for good spots to sweep or jump or SPD.

If you’re getting owned, try to pinpoint the exact moment or sequence of moves in which you got owned, and keep that in mind for the next game.

Also if you’re playing fireball characters… just because you’re playing a fireball character doesn’t mean you have to throw a lot of fireballs. If you’re fighting an idiot that does nothing but jump in, you should focus on waiting for their jump, NOT throwing fireballs.

Everyone goes through slumps and losing streaks. About 3 months ago, I lost like 20 games in a row or something on SFIV.

Take a break. Really. You’d be surprised at what improvements can happen.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I’m probably going to take some time away from playing for a week or so then try again at it. BTW, do the majority of guys use sticks or the pad? I don’t have a stick, but was thinking of getting one in hopes that makes a difference.

It won’t make a noticeable difference, but many players prefer stick.

Speaking from experience, getting a stick might help you in the long run, but be prepared to lose a LOT when making the switch. If you’re dissatisfied with how you play on pad, don’t expect to become magically better when you switch to a stick. It takes months and months just to get basic muscle movement burned into your head.

I switched to stick mainly because when I played at the arcade, I felt like such a noob that I couldn’t even do a simple BnB that was so simple on pad. I was still winning my matches, but it was all from basic stuff. After switching, I was pissed at losing online to people I know I would mop the floor with on pad. But I kept at it, refusing to switch back at all cost. Even after losing match after match after match.

Bottom line: Switching to stick won’t be a quick solution, and may not even be a solution to your problem.

Food for thought.

In my limited experience, players initially get much worse once they start really learning a game. When you first pick it up (or in your case, pick it up after years of absence), you can rely more on simple observations and limited muscle memory to win a few matches. Once you start gaining in skill, you fall into patterns and become more aware of the other players’ patterns, but you can’t respond rapidly because you still have to stop and think about how to react. You’ll lose more matches, but you really are improving your game, and if you stick with it you’ll eventually grow out of your rut.

As they say in the go world, “lose your first 50 games as quickly as possible”. Losing is not only part of learning, it’s the most important part.

Yeah. I do find myself ‘thinking’ too much about what I’m doing, rather than just doing. That, I don’t know how to break. Perhaps it will come back with time. For now, I think I’ll stick with playing the AI. Talk about unpredictable…

I don’t think switching to a stick will be a quick fix - there is a learning curve with them, I know. Just wondering what people prefer I suppose.

Just take a break for a week and do nothing but think, seriously. I always improve about this, shit just goes wrong I get to impatient whatever and reflecting helps you think that. If you can record some of your own matches that would help also. Normally you just get frustrate and start making repetitive mistakes and can’t see them yourself while your playing.

If you have a local crew their is always that guy willing to help you and pick apart what your doing wrong, even if the person isn’t greatly skilled he can probably notice a thing or 2 legitimately that your messing up.

Try and roll some noobs on XBL for a few matches or just play friends whose play styles you’re familiar with. I’m a noob and that’s what I try to do.

Also, just practicing good ol’ fundamentals can help. Or pick something specific that you know you need to work on. Also try a new character. I thought my T. Hawk was a bad ass in training room-It took me about two matches to realize how terrible he was lol.

It helps to learn when to call it quits for the day. Often times in the process of a losing streak you’ll keep playing match after match, getting increasingly frustrated with each loss and playing progressively worse each time. That’s the time to take a deep breath and get your mind off the game for a while. No gains are going to be made while you’re angry, irritated, and not thinking clearly.

Short version: if you’ve been making the :mad: face for more than an hour or so straight, it’s time to pack it in for a little bit.