My MvC3 Journey Begins: Mold Me in Your Image

After being Capcom Vs. Snk 2 guy for years (average mostly with Terry Bogard),I hadn’t played for years. Then something happened: a friend asked me to go with him to EVO and the electric nature of MvC3 struck a chord with me. The more I started watching streams the more I actually wanted to started playing.

That has given me a desire to start from zero and learn the game–and I’m turning to the community of experts to help put me in the right direction. I don’t have plans to be a pro; just to beat all my friends :slight_smile: A few questions came to mind:

1. What fundamentals do you think are important?
  2. What regime would you suggest to achieve them?
  3. If you could go back and change anything about what you did when you started what would it be?
  4. Is it OK to choose characters I like just starting off?

I want to be respectful of everyone’s time so if there is anything I should read, that I missed, please let me know and I promise to do my homework. Any answers, comments, suggestions or feedback I appreciate :slight_smile:

1. Recognise how space works in this game, how to deprive opponents of their space with your assists + zoning. Recognise the various setups in this game, how to avoid these setups and how to come up with your own setups. When to push block and how you can beat push block. How to get pass zoning or how to maintain zoning for as long as possible. Recognise upon a hit confirm when you need to burn meter to finish off your opponent’s characters and when you are better off going for a reset if you can’t finish them off.

2. Come up with a plan, play, get your butt kicked, reflect on why your plan failed and come up with better plans. Repeat until you always win.

3. Depends really. You must understand that not all characters are equal when it comes to being n00b friendly and more importantly that just because you don’t like a character now doesn’t mean that you won’t like a character once you start playing him. And start winning with him. Zero is not that n00b unfriendly but on the long run you’ll need to do some long fancy combos with him to get the most from him. So if you are not comfortable with doing long combos Zero is not a character for you. For a starter team with Zero you can try Wolverine/Zero/Akuma or Zero/Dante/Akuma.

Thanks scytheavatar. I’m copying these tips into my google notebook so when I sit down to play I have a study log to go over. And thanks for the tips on a starter team, that gives me someplace to start :slight_smile:

Spoiler

[media=youtube]8fMz3sHNv8Q[/media]

Spoiler

[media=youtube]MmYTs75uKRQ[/media]

Also, you can try KillerKai’s Zero/Wesker/Taskmaster, a solid beginner-friendly Zero team.

Thanks I will give that a try too. I’m doing research on zoning and spacing now as you suggested to get a feel for things. I see a lot of different guides online and in print. Is there any you personally suggest I read through/watch?