Any tierlist made by the community as a whole is is not going to be the most accurate imo. People voting on them are typically mediocre players in the grand scheme of things going off character experience at their level or friends they play. A few examples from that list:
- Honda 9th worst character in the game = Ich don’t think so
- Blanka 12th and better than Ryu, Ken, Bison, Makoto, Yun, Cody, and Rose just to name a few = Ich don’t think so. Take out T. Hawk and he drops 10 places!
- Oni and Evil Ryu 5th and 4th worst characters respectively = Ich don’t think so
- T. Hawk vs. Gen = 3-7 = Ich don’t think so.
I agree with your point about matchup based tier lists being wonky though. I remember the Super tier list that had Honda top. He was good, but he was there because he trashed the mid lower tier (which happened to be the new characters at that time) better than most in the game…put him against the top 10 in the game though and he was largely disadvantaged including the likes of Guile, Sagat, Ryu, Seth, Sim, Fei…etc - he was actually never better than upper-mid tier for this reason alone. This is a large reason why tiers are nothing more than a benchmark. Personally I look at 32 things to determine tiers:
- How many match ups is a character heavily disadvantaged in and what are the total number of match ups they loose in even by a fraction.
- How do they fair against the top 10 characters in the game.
This is why for me a character like Adon is so good! He probably has 3-4 matches at disadvantage (no worse than 4-6) and the rest are even or better. Of those 3-4 matches they are largely characters that are not played heavily. Equally he is is disadvantaged against only Balrog in the top levels.
Then there is Fei. The guy has probably maybe two 4.5 - 5.5 matches and the rest he is 5 -5 or better. Again, out of the top dogs, Balrog is probably the one match he might have a disadvantage.
On Hawk and on topic, like Chazz stated, he is worse than Dan and the worst in the game because no other character has more 3-7 match ups and to compund it, he has a 2-8. Gief suffers the same fate to be fair, just not on the same scale.
As for Joes list I would change (no specific order per tier):
A+: Fei Long, Seth,
A: Viper, Adon, Akuma, Cammy
B+: Sagat, Ibuki, ***Rufus, ***Balrog
B: Abel, Ken, Ryu, Makoto, Cody, Bison
C+ Juri, E.Honda, Sakura, Guile, Rose, Yun, Vega, Blanka
C: Dhalsim, Yang, Gouken, D J, Fuerte, Chun Li
D+: E. Ryu, Oni, Zangief, Dudley, Guy
D: Hakan , Gen, Dan
None of this really matters tbh! Would much prefer some people posting some new set ups, counters, traps etc, or discussing match ups.