Need a good modem.

Whats good yall I am in need of some help. I have this bullsh*t modem from comcast and honesty i hate the lil POS i am paying the highest plan possible and I am not understanding how my connection is like this.

and this is when i am on wireless. when i am wired in i get about 20mb but the fuking upload stays just about the same and sometimes goes down smh. i honesty think its something that has to do with the modem or the router. my router i have linksys N (dont remember the model number because i am not at home)
So whats a good modem and router i could use to give me more upload? me and my friend stay in the same state and have the same service and same plan and his is just straight sh
tted on me :rolllaugh: with this:

all a router does is distribute your connection among multiple pcs/ connected game consoles. you could set it up which piece of hardware gets priority.

from the looks of it, it could be the router that’s fugging up things. Art had a problem that was like that too, his router pretty much ate up most of the available bandwidth.

So maybe i could update the firmware if theres an update maybe?

I used to have issues with speed on my network also. A lot of the time I’d only be hitting maybe five to six Mb/s. As it turned out it was just because my cable modem was an older one running DOCSIS 1.0. Once I went out and got one that supported DOCSIS 3.0 things were much faster. I started hitting speeds around 50 to 60 Mb/s.

yea i think i will buy me one today just so i can get that docsis 3 speed.

FYI:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1407706579.png
via my modem with DOCSIS 3.0
I recommend that advice.

welp. looks like i am going to cop a new one today.

There’s some other factors too, I am a network engineer, and your speeds on wireless are actually what you should be getting (except for the shoddy upload of course).

To the super technically inclined: I am going to way over simply things to not scare the people who don’t completely understand this technology.

Wireless is a shared medium, with half duplex transmissions (both ends can’t talk at the same time) so although it says 54mbps (for 802.11g adapters), it’s really limited to 27mbps, because you have to send a reply for each packet. Add in multiple stations talking, and transmission errors (which are reasonably common on wireless, especially if you live in a crowded building) and you get about 16mbps total throughput, you’re getting less, but that’s not too far from the expected range.

In addition, Linux based routers like your linksys router are notorious for this one, they need to be rebooted fairly regularly, like once a day. I typically schedule them to reboot early in the morning when I’m asleep.

Make sure you get the Docsis 3 modem, that’s probably going to be a requirement as we move toward a IPv6 world.

Also, all Docsis networks have a bandwidth pooling problem, that is, you have a shared total bandwidth allocation for a block or two (but up to 8 or so) of homes. Depending on where you live and how many people nearby are comcast subscribers, you might be getting low bandwidth not because of your hardware faults, but because you are trying to get online while everyone else is. I face this problem during the school year, I live near a few colleges, so when the apartments next to my house are full of idiot college kids downloading all manner of things all day, my connection suffers. There’s not much you can do about this.

Also don’t forget that if you have multiple devices, bandwidth is shared among your devices too, etc. Although I don’t think you’re having that problem, but it’s worth mentioning just in case.

Edit: Also, I doubt this is happening because you have a pretty recent router, but older routers simply can not handle much above 20, or 25mbps throughput. We were having this problem on a lazy as hell instant public wireless setup we did. We eventually had to break down and buy a big boy router (Cisco ASA) to handle the increased traffic loads and bandwidth of hundreds of morons trying to update their Facebook status at once.

this is my connection now with i am connected to the router. i bought a new modem now that worked. Now my second thing is how the hell am i supposed to stream in HD? i tried it with wirecast, xplit, and i am getting nothing but choppy results.

Do you know of any cheap gaming router’s

This isn’t necessarily true. Bandwidth pooling hasn’t been a real issue, not for most cablecos anyway, and not in most markets. Some cool CMTS management tricks and well, largely throwing a LOT of fiber at the problem helped Cox. I’m not sure if this is what Comcast has done, although given that COMCAST offers business class services with high SLA requirements in most markets, I’m willing to bet that they solved that issue. Also, internet data also hasn’t been the only driver for these upgrades either; given that Comcast offers HD VOD and a crapload of HD channels, they would’ve needed a huge investment in upgrading their backhaul anyway.

My guess would be the router.

Plug straight into the modem, turn off all firewalls, antivirus, antispyware, torrents, Steam, IRC, IM, etc.

Run the same speedtest 5 times, get an average, report back. If it’s still less than your SLA, call your cableco. They may have you do some optimizations, but if you’ve been running Windows, might not be a bad idea to let them do what their process dictates and see if things get better. They may be able to see some signal issues from their reporting tools based on what the modem may be reporting so, that might not even be necessary.

Yes, DOCSIS3 modems are going to be a great idea … But not necessarily a necessity. If you need to swap your modem because it’s dying and that’s causing the problem, go DOCSIS 3. I doubt it’ll solve this problem though.

Can only speak for Comcast on a technology standpoint, but here in Cablevision land (Same tech) we have a wonderful ISP that likes to give priority to business accounts. The thing that sucks there is now we have every establishment in the town running a Wifi access point on their connection, and of course some group of college students is running up bit torrent in every building in town. I live in a densely populated part of Northern New Jersey however. Bandwidth picks up a bit around 7pm when everything starts to close, and picks up again around 11 after everyone stops using netflix. It’s just something to remember, the technology is of course going to suffer from this issue from time to time.

Also, SLA? are you kidding? I’m banking on him having a residential connection. My SLA with Cablevision is they will try their hardest to pass packets when they get around to it, just like every other residential internet connection in the country.