Need a new mobo, any suggestions?

So I built a system about 2 years ago and started slacking on the cleaning that I usually do ever month. It had been about 8 months since I opened the case and decided to give this badboy a thorough cleaning last sunday. I popped the case open and removed everything. I had some trouble getting a SATA wire out and ended up pulling out one of the red sata connectors. I’m pretty sure this is where things went wrong. It did however go back on the mobo pretty easy once I disconnected it from the actual SATA wire.

After I dusted everything off, I began to put everything back in the case. I then had some problems getting the heatsink/fan to snap back onto the mobo and it took a lot of force to make that happen. I wanted to be gentle, but that just wasn’t working and we all know with computer isntallation, you have to be gentle but firm.

Anywho, I finally go to power it up and it would power up for 5 seconds exactly and then shutdown. It would keep looping that way until I turned the PSU off. I did all the usual testing taking out each component one at a time and I made sure all the connections were correct. I eventually had the mother board sitting on the table with nothing plugged into it but the PSU and the CPU and it still did the same thing.

I thought it was the PSU at first, but I have a PSU tester and everything checked out ok. I’m guessing I damaged something when I removed the SATA port or installed the heatsink/fan on the CPU. I might have bent something somewhere doing that. Anywho, this is the old mobo I had was a ASUS P5K WS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard.

I’d like something similar to that one. I don’t need one with onboard video because I already have a geforce 9800gtx. The CPU I have is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. I know that’s old news now but I don’t need anything more powerful than that. This system has been good to me and I’m not quite ready to upgrade. So please don’t advise me to do so.

Just about any 775 board will be fine for you. You can probably find something on ebay or craigslist that’ll work. Don’t put too much thought into it and just get one similar to what you had.

Keep it on the cheap though, 775 is on it’s way out already.

is your CPU power plugged into the mobo?
it sounds like a problem I had