Need FGC Input-- fight stick business-- need permission to use/sell my own capcom character fan-art?

I’m interested in starting a little arcade stick business locally, and I’d like to find out if I need any permission to use my own artwork of Capcom characters. Does anybody know?
When I went to the Final Round tournament in Atlanta, GA, there was a guy who was making 8bit necklaces of various characters and said he was licensed by Capcom.
Can someone tell me if I need the same kind of permission to be able sell a custom print that I make of Capcom characters? Or do they only care if you reuse their drawings specifically?

you should be alright as long as you’re using your own drawings and its enough of your own art style. generally small time stuff dosen’t get much attention from larger companies anyway.

You can’t sell Capcom’s Intellectual Property, including their characters and their likenesses, without an official Capcom License. No one will really care but it’s still illegal.

One thing to avoid is any trademark logos.

It’s one thing to sell art you drew based on someone else’s IP, that is copyright.
And there are exceptions to copyrights, such as fair use.
Its another to violate trademarks.

That is the difference, companies can afford to ignore copyright violations.
Trademark violations have to be pursued by law, failure to protect a trademark will result in lost of that trademark.

For-profit is a no-no. Generally speaking, you can print/make whatever you want for personal use without the intent to sell. If you later decide you don’t want it, it’s okay to sell at that point (generally only a valid defense for hobbyists).

Rather than trying to be subversive consider the rationale of the laws:

It isn’t fair for one to profit from the work of another without their expressed permission. That includes using protected works on products, websites, storefronts, advertisements, etc.

The implication is that one is using the reputation of a trusted brand to represent their own, and that isn’t honest.

Read up on the law, understand how an IP is licensed (i.e. Copyright, Trademark, Creative Commons, etc.) and how you can use it; if you aren’t sure , seek permission directly. If it’s a smaller company or an individual, they may be excited to hear about your work and perhaps even offer some kind of collaboration or sponsorship.

Nope