Need Help Organizing A Major Tournament

Introduction
As part of the “gaming club” i am being allowed to run a major fighting game tournament as part of University of Rhode Island’s gaming CON (lan party). I am able to obtain pretty much all materials necessary to do this type of thing with out going out of pocket, and anything that will go “out of pocket” the “gaming club” will pay for.

What games?
What games SHOULD i run?

Mvc2 (getting ALL the converters might be a problem)
Cvs2
3s
t5: DR
GGxx: AC
MB: AC
VF5
ST

I’d be able to run a max of 5 games or so.

What will i need?
So far i’ve come up with

8x CRT TVs
8x ps2
4x DC
8x ps2 > DC converters
4-8x ps3
8-16x ps2 > ps3 converters
2x projectors
Speakers + microphone

How many people will i need to staff it and run the games efficiently?
will 6 be enough?

What should prize structure/entry fees be?
10$ per game, 70/20/10 split?

Help me out people :slight_smile:

1 thing though… there would be NO money matches allowed… sry

Go to your regional forum and find out what people are playing in your area…

i already know what people play

i just wanted an overall input.

the lineup will prob be

3s
mvc2
t5
ST
cvs2

Why do you need 2 projectors? You should be running 1 set of finals at a time while starting the other tournaments :confused: Do top 4/8 (depending on entrants) while the next game starts and you don’t need 2 projectors.

VF5 has a pretty tiny scene so until you actually get a respectable turnout, don’t run that game for year 1 IMO. Tekken is a must though.

Smash is fucking huge and will garner you a pretty big turnout and they seem to get along with our scene now so whatever.

Edit: If its past whenever AC US comes out, run that too.

PS Melty Blood has a tinier scene than AC and AC isnt that huge to begin wiht.

i’ll run smash… just not familiar with how to run it.

Super Smash Bros Melee

[LIST]
[]Game version: Nintendo Gamecube
[
]Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
[]If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
[
]Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby’s Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
[]Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
[
]The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
[]After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
[
]No stage may be used twice in any given set.
[]Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
[
]Tactics such as Peach’s Wallbombing and Jiggly’s Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
[/LIST]

So…what would you play T5: DR on? Would they be willing to schill out for PS3s?

The smaller the easier. Some ideas:

DO NOT add too many games
DO NOT use ps2 for Marvel if your target is srk
DO use ps2 for Marvel if your target are random guys at the convention. So much easier and they don’t know the difference anyways
DO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH OUTLETS - Its all caps because it is so important and so easy to forget.
DO have a plan B for every possible contingency you can come up with
DO NOT be afraid of disqualifying people, or all your planning will be wrecked by this
DO calculate the time of the tourney by number of fights x time for each fight + margin of safety

That’s all I can think for now. Good luck!

i’ve been around tournements for 2 years now, i’m not dumb lolz

Tourn

a

ment.

GD posters have already told you this, and you still just ignore it.

this was posted before my GD topic and kinda dissapeared… thx though, fixed.

If you were going to run MB:AC, well you’d need laptops and not a PS2 (the latest version is on PC). And if you were feeling generous, you could get a projector for finals.

It depends on when you’re running this, and I’m sure you get numbers for it as well.

Time will tell ;p

Have you run a tourney on your campus before? Most schools don’t allow you to charge an entry fee without paying for the equipment. You might want to double check on that.

i will be running it as part of the "gaming club"s game convention, they are going to get promission to use the ball room for me and stuff.

tournament will most likley be in february

Did you read a damn word I said? Your tournament is going to blow up in your face if you don’t check whether your school allows you to charge. We had the same issue at UCF. If it’s a state funded school they’re usually not allowed to let you use the equipment for free if you charge money to enter the tourney.

Wow, that is alot of rules. I was just reminded of why I only play that game casually.

It’s the gaming club’s equipment… yes i did read what you said just it was not relevant to my situation. I already know i can use the venue and equipment. <shrugs> sry i wasn’t clear on this.