Need Help Picking Laptop Brand

So I’m losing my laptop virginity pretty soon and am not sure which of these sleek and stylish models to be my first. I’m pretty much set on specs, but I have a few questions on design and build quality of each of the companies products. I had been looking at this Toshiba Satellite A300, however there are other companies to concider in my choce (gloss finish all the way to the keyboard is actually a scary idea.

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-A300-21H/1062028/

I was wondering, which companies are renouned for quality? I’ve heard stories of companies like Dell which apparently have terrible hardware, I’m hoping to avoid anything like this in my perchase. The only really strong wants I have is a wireless switch and good build quality, but it’s hard to make judgements out of pictures. I’m looking at Toshiba, Samsung or Acer, Toshiba and Samsung are known to me for hardware, especially Samsung for their phones and HDTV’s, but Acer is a company not known to me, they seem kind of crappy. Wrong?

Any info on the build of modern laptops is much appreciated.

i would consider toshiba over all the other ones you mentioned. they manufacture great electronics. acer… if their monitors reflect on how the rest of their line of products are, then they suck. dells are ok, but they get outdated really fast, considering that technology already outdates itself within weeks.

apples are ok… a lot of people would disagree, but beside their high ticket price their specs are generally a little above expected. theyve got decent customer service.

For build quality, I think the Lenovo line is pretty good, especially their new non-business, consumer-based lines.

Some examples:

The Y530-5900U in particular have similar specs to the Satellite you linked, but with 4gb and 64-bit OS, and on the internets costs around 600$ USD, though I’m not sure how much that would be in with VAT…

Wow, they actually look rather nice. My budget is around 600, but currency conversion is really screwing me on this market, US get laptops for so much cheaper it’s rediculous. I figured Toshiba would be a good choice, which is why I was looking at that Satellite. How are gloss finish laptops? Especially gloss keyboard? Is it hard to live with them? I actually really like the design of that laptop, but the gloss is kind of intimidating.

http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/Toshiba_Satellite_A300_Laptop_1.jpg

Contrary to popular everyones praise of Toshiba, I’ve had nothing but problems with Toshiba’s that I’ve bought, both of them overheating and failing within 2-3 years.

I would recommend ASUS. Less crapware preinstalled on them and great value.

Yeah the crapware (lol) is another thing I’m a little weary about. I noticed this Toshiba I’m looking at has HDD recovery feature. How does this work and can it be dissabled so I usee my HDD as wanted?

I’d be interested to hear the problems you’ve had with Toshiba…

The main thing I’m thinking about is the screen hinges, because I know a lot of companies only cover internal issues.

My first toshiba was a sattelite. The power cable port would need to have pressure applied to one side for it to be plugged in. After 2 years of ownership. It would shut down on days the temperature was over 80 f. after 20 mins of use. I was using it for graphic design.

my second toshiba an m4 tablet, had a nvidia 6600. I was using it for painting texture for 3d animation and zbrush as an alternative to buying a cintiq. One day the ac adaptor died. after that, one month after the 1 year warrany ran out the monitor died. could turn it on and hear audio. Paid $600 for the repair. 3 months later the video card died. It always ran too hot. It was almost unusable as a carrying tabet. felt like i was holding a toaster.

consider:
Toshiba
Samsung
Sony (pricy)
ASUS

avoid
Dell (last resort laptop, not too bad but everything else is better)
HP (shitty computers)
Compaq(Compaq’s and HP are from the same overall company, but Compaq’s are known to be MUCH worse than HP)

on the fence:
Apple. They make great products, they really do, and they have great programs and everything you need, but it’s like having an “other” girlfriend.

Apple MacBook all the way.

i bought myself a MacBook Pro with that new re-model. i HATE using my desktop here at my house. really hate it. it is only about a year old and it is sluggish and shitty. the Mac is amazing. SUPER easy to use, and with Leopard OS you can run windows which means all of the software you have is not trash.

in the past i have had sony comps and now a dell. i will never buy a computer outside of Apple again. so easy to use. everything is just common sense on a Mac.

prime example: i tried to transfer my i-tunes library over to an external hdd. took me about 30+ minutes to figure it out on the dell (i am not huge into computers at all due to time restraints) and only then did it happen and by total accident. i have no idea what i did.

on the Apple all you do is drag the folder icon over your itunes window and it all happens for you. took me no more than three minutes to figure it out.

i know people that have had the same Apple laptop and desktop for 7+ years. never touched a thing on them. just just it for e-mailing, word processing, and just going online in general. i do not know of almost anybody that has a regular windows based computer that is running without re-working them that is over 2 years old.

Apples are worth the price for you will have to replace your computer less often.

good ones are Toshiba,Asus, Alienware :smiley:

bad ones are Dell(even though im using one),HP…

Get an apple if you like photoshop…Just cuz i think apple has a better screen

I would also recommend an Apple Macbook too. I’ve just been converted to Macs recently with an imac and I have to say Macs are just sooo much better than Windows PCs (IMO).

Everything is just smooth and slick and things ALWAYS work, I’ve had mine since Christmas and its never froze or crashed or anything at all. Everything is soo fast too.

Plus you can use Windows only programs/games etc. on them as you can install XP/Vista if you need to. You also don’t get any crapware and you don’t even need anti-pyware/anti-virus as Macs really never get infected.

I could go on (widgets, ilife, photobooth, timemachine, bluetooth etc. etc.).

A lot of mixed opinions here. One thing that’s for certain is that a Mac is way out of my price range, especially when compared to the availability and specs of other machines. While I would like a Mac for their versatility, I haven’t seen one that’s reasonably priced in my country.

I’m just thinking about going with this Tosh, however those issues posted above worry me a little. $600 repairs doesn’t sound very healthy, I suppose I could always take out an extended warrenty, how much that is on the other hand is another question.

Anyone feel buying into this market is all about taking risks?

Specs can be a bit misleading with Macs, because they are a lot more efficient than Windows PCs. For example 2G of ram on a Mac is a lot faster than 2G of ram on a Windows pc etc.

But yea they can be expensive, then again they will last a lot longer than Windows Pc’s/laptops.

I don’t believe Dell is that bad. Of course if you’re not using Dell’s business line they might be, but I absolutely love my Dell Latitude E6400.

You need to list what you’re going to use the laptop for… like notebookreview.com asks for.

This section is very useful.

Actually, Dell’s business lineup are known for their sturdiness and for how long they last. I’ve been using mine for two years now with no problems, my dad has one he’s used for 6 years, no problem even with windows XP installed (It’s slow sometimes, but still works fine for basic needs) They also come with better warranty than the home lineup. You can also downgrade to XP sp3, but apparently you have to pay extra, which is retarded.

I know two people who have had fujitsus, and (perhaps coincidentally) both of them had their hard drives die on them.

anyone I know who have an ASUS are pretty happy. probably the best deal you can find, as they’re sturdy and are also pretty cheap.

Acer is similar, but I don’t think you get the same specs for the price.

avoid HP at all costs. I know a lot of people who bought HPs because of their prices and so many of them have problems (hinges breaking, screens getting messed up, touchpad stop working, etc…

and thinkpads, wow… ugliest thing on the planet, yet lasts forever and runs pretty well overall.

if you have the money, go for thinkpad, sony, toshiba

if you’re into the whole DIY thing like ppl who make their custom sticks, you can grab a whitebook and build it yourself… although, it’s probably much harder to do than making a desktop.

i use a Asus and love it…

toshiba is good… never had problems.

My experiences have led me to similar conclusions.

My experience from helping in a few offices:

I like ThinkPads, Business Dells, Toshiba, and Asus.

I hate consumer Dells, HP, Compaq, Gateway, and Fujitsu.

I am torn with Sony. The ones I’ve used were decent enough laptops, but any time I had to troubleshoot them I ran into big problems. I kept coming across bizarre proprietary bits and pieces and custom hardware they stopped supporting almost immediately after they released it. EDIT: I’m also torn with Acer. I’ve had a couple go bad, but most have been good, and all the ones I’ve used were dirt cheap.

I have had a ton of first hand experience with ThinkPads, business Dells and consumer Dells.

And I have had a ton of “first hand experience” with consumer HP/Compaq laptops if you accept “a stack of dead laptops” as “first hand experience.”

I have an Asus G50 and I love it (although I had it replaced after their G1S kept crapping out on me), but for the most part I’ve heard good things about Asus.

I had a Dell Inspirson 6000, and I never really did like the thing, too many problems such as random HD failures or RAM failures, it might just be my experience, but I don’t intend to buy Dell in the future.

In terms of Sony, my brother had a Vaio (forget the model name), but it has been a solid computer and it’s really nice aesthetically as well.

I have a Toshiba A200, which is almost like the A300, and it’s been pretty good so far, nothing to complain about.

I built my own using OCZ’s diy frame+mobo (which they don’t make actually) and it’s served me quite well. You save a substantial amount, just as if you built your own pc if you compare the specs. My $1300 build from last year still stacks up to $2000-2400 off the shelf setups of this year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856172003