[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]
Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

I’m looking to make a thread in the general mvc3 forum that helps explain how the assists work and how assists work for each specific character. Basically I’d just like a quick rundown of 3 things.

1. A generic description of each of the character’s 3 specific assists and their uses in battle for offense/defense/adding hits to combos etc.

2. A general rundown of which assists work well for their rushdown/defense/lockdown etc. Something like this…

DOCTOR DOOM

Spoiler

Reliance on assists on point without XF = Reliant
Reliance on assists with XF2 = Moderate
XF3/Anchor abilities = Solid

Strong assists for lockdown/pressure: Haggar lariat (stops opponent from attacking, hard knockdown for s.H OTG on hit) Ammy Cold Star (long mix up lockdown), Arthur Daggers (fast start up, long mix up lockdown) Sent drones (long mix up lockdown), Chun Li legs (long mix up lockdown, fast activating), Dante Jam Session (long mix up lockdown, keeps aerial characters grounded), Dorm Dark Hole (long mix up lockdown) Akuma tatsu (aerial lockdown, passes through projectiles during active frames), Iron Man repulsor blast (long lockdown, keeps opponent from jumping/flying), Iron Man Unibeam (standard beam lockdown), Tron Fire(standard lockdown, protects your block strings), any other long active multi hitting assist not mentioned.

Strong assists for projectile and assist clearance or unblockable set up: Iron Man Unibeam (projectile/assist clearance, decent active frames for mix up), Shuma Mystic Ray(projectile/assist clearance, keeps opponents from jumping/flying), Arthur Daggers(projectile/assist clearance/fast start up), Wesker gun shot (unblockable set up),Akuma tatsu(absorbs standard beam projectiles during active frames, loses to large hit box projectiles like Dante’s Crystal or Hulk’s Gamma Wave), Storm Whirlwind (projectile/assist clearance), Deadpool Quick Work (unblockable set up), Magneto Disruptah (projectile/assist clearance),Felicia Rolling Buckler (unblockable set up, high priority against other attacks once active),She Hulk Torpedo (unblockable set up)

General assist strategy is to have an assist that locks people down or keeps them down to set up high low mix ups and air M box jumps (aka air dash M cross up). The reason why Doom is more reliant on an assist to lock people down even though he can move around and fly like Mags and Storm is that he doesn’t have a dash that cancels with normals. Whenever you dash with Dr.Doom you get the ability to cancel it into a jump instead. This is technically a nerf since it makes your wave dash reliant on forcing you to jump first. Making you susceptible to air throws even though you’re basically on the ground.

To offset this though once you get an assist that locks down once you get in you can create really long block strings with very minimal gaps since Doom has the ability to cancel his normals into dashes. This means you can lock someone down with say Ammy’s cold star and go for a mix up. If somehow you don’t land anything they still can’t push guard you because of the assist. Once the assist is gone you can start throwing out c.L’s and follow them up with c.H which does a lot of block stun and can be OS’d by doing c.L~c.H so it comes out on a hit or block but not on whiff. If the opponent push guards the c.H you can confirm with the plink that they blocked and advance guarded and then just continue dashing through the advance guard with jump cancelling your dash into an ADDF once or twice to stay right in their face. By that time Ammy Cold Star should be available to lock them down again and if they advance guard too much they push themselves into the corner and lose.

Doom on point isn’t very reliant on DHC synergy because all he wants to do is have his assists plus his normal dash cancels through advance guards help him push people towards the corner. If they’re close enough to the corner Doom has TOD’s that can do up to 1.15 to 1.2 million damage without DHC glitch. 1.15. to 1.2 is easier to achieve with an assist but you can still get 1.05 to 1.1 easy without assist once you build the 2 plus meters at the end of the combo.

Doom also goes well on point with any assist that helps clear up point or assist based projectiles or attacks.

1. How good the character is as an anchor.

Thx in advance.[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/FONT]

I got you, bro.

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Reliance on assists on point without XF = Moderate
Reliance on assists with XF2 = Slight reliance to none
XF3/Anchor abilities = Solid[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

Assists:
Disruptor (A): Solid beam assist. Comes out really quickly, VERY useful for characters capable of left/right mixups (Wesker can combo off a clean disruptor on hit as long as he does gunshot -> :l: teleport -> c.:m: into whatever you want). Causes soft knockdown on hit. Very capable of clearing the screen quickly due to its priority.
Hyper Grav (B): Has no place outside of gimmicks and combo videos. You’re better off with Disruptor.
Forcefield (Y): One of the only pure defensive assists in the game. Don’t really see much use for it.

Strong assists for lockdown/pressure: Pretty much anything that takes up space on the screen and puts people into blockstun/lockdown. Magneto works EXTREMELY well with Sentinel’s Drones (A), almost to the point where it’s retarded. I find Amaterasu’s Cold Star to be very good too, but I believe it forces them into absolute guard so no left/right mixups, only high/low/throw. Don’t quote me on that, I just read it 5 minutes ago. Other really good assists that help Magneto’s rushdown game are Doom’s hidden missles (good at forcing blockstun but not much rushdown cover) or his molecular shield. His molecular shield seems to go often unnoticed but I feel it’s really good for Magneto. It can be used as a ‘get off me’ assist since the rocks do hit while they’re circling Doom, plus when fired, the rocks do take a bit of time to clear the playing field. They also take up A LOT of space. I feel Sentinel’s Drones are better for Magneto than Molecular Shield but this is about options. Magnus basically likes anything that is slow and/or big (taking up space, cutting off portions of the screen that Magneto can use as an avenue of advance), preferably both.

Strong assists for screen clearance/unblockables: Pretty much any beam assist is good for screen/assist clearance to pave way for Magneto’s rushdown. It doesn’t seem Magneto benefits much from these assists though, as most of them require you to be close to combo off of plus the damage scaling in a combo started from a beam assist (especially a multiple hitting one) is not worth it, but hey, damage is damage, yes? Akuma’s tatsu works pretty well with Magneto for the same above reasons, sans the fact that damage scaling off this assist isn’t THAT bad. In terms of unblockables, any low hitting assist + fly :s:, trijump :l:, whatever overhead you wanna use. Wesker is waaay ahead of the other low hitting assists though, not only because of the unblockable potential and the fact that Wesker’s OTG can easily allow you to combo Magnetic Tempest midscreen after a fly combo, but because of the fact that Wesker works VERY well with Magneto’s Disruptor assist, both as a means of mixing up and extending combos and setting up post combo mixups.

General assist strategy is to cover your assist until they’re in blockstun, then go nuts. Phil Jackson trijump :l: offense, trijump :h: (:l: after trijump :h: is very useful in catching people pressing buttons during your offense, and can be chained to :l::s:). Magneto’s trijumps and speed allow him to cover the playing field quicker than most people can react, so you can easily make someone take a defensive posture by calling an assist, then just going for a throw before it hits. In terms of blockstrings, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS cancel a blocked c.:h: as it is VERY unsafe. Cancel it into fly and go for overheads if the assist is still hitting. Or just hit confirm off a couple extra :l:s

Magneto can DHC into and be DHC’d from A LOT of other hypers. His hyper combos offer you a variety of options.

I feel Magneto isn’t getting much talk in the anchor position just because he’s so strong on point backed up by an assist. I’ve been experimenting though, and lvl 3 X factor Magneto is capable of some REAL GRADE A BULLSHIT. More so than most other characters… he truly is ridiculous with lvl 3 x factor.

Need the right assist for your character(s)? Look here

I got an error when I tried to edit it, so add this to the anchor part:

Magneto is pretty solid without an assist to back him up and he can build meter like a madman then use it very effectively, so I feel he’s a good anchor. Nevermind the fact that his :l: Disruptah gives him one of the best zoning options in the game. While he does gain some outrageous shit in lvl 3 xfactor, I believe he gains more by being on point with an assist, or at least middle man to back up someone with Disruptah.

I can vouch for magnus in anchor position. With XF3, Gravity squeeze does about 700k if memory serves me right and I think he can do a standing fierce xx hyper grav loop in the corner that’s easy as shit to do and does insane damage. with the speed boost I’m positive you can get more reps out of a hyper grav loop though I doubt you’ll need it for very long. shockwave super is capable of punishing jump-ins and whiffed moves for at least 400-500k from anywhere on screen.

Magneto, in Lvl 2/3 XFactor, doesn’t even need to do the standard hypergrav loop in the corner. Hitbox dependent of course, he can just do :h: :qcb::l: xN. Some characters you can do it over and over, but with some of the wonkier and smaller/larger hitboxes (I’m looking at you, Trish, Amaterasu, and Shuma), you’d have to throw in a standard sj. addf :h: :h::qcb::l: to get yourself back in the corner and right next to them. You could also just walk forward a bit between reps, but I’m going with what I’m most comfortable doing.

If you walk forward between each :h: xx hyper grav, you dont even need a single HG loop before they’re dead, yeah.