Need some help

To start with let me introduce.My name is Alex and I am a 24 year old guy living in Athens,Greece.I have been a long time a tekken fan and have been playing since tekken 3.

When sf4 was announced first thing I said is to give a try when it gets out and play it since last SF game I played was sf on super nes.Dealing with the frustration though in the game where with a normal controller of xbox360 i can not play some characters(guile,vega and many other that have charge moves for combos) i finally decided at the start to buy a SF stick.Browsing on the net though I saw many ramblings about faulty sticks.I am in a serious dillema now whether to buy a SF stick or make my own custom one

How hard is it really to make a custom stick?

Checked all stickies read them a lot of times but i can say i did not understand anything :frowning:

As i am really into doing a custom stick would anyone be kind enough to help me out on what would be needed and everything?(I read about buttons and stuff but heck still can not understand about wires and stuff also i could not find precise measurements although i saw some of the layout things)

I hope someone can help me out doing this thing.

Thanks in advance

Making a custom stick isn’t too difficult if you have the correct tools, it does take up some time though.

If you’ve read through the stickies and really didn’t understand anything at all, then your best bet is to buy a ready made stick. It’ll save you alot of heartache along the way.

Hope that helps somewhat.

would you mind giving my some hints?

I mean for sure you would need the buttons,and the pad(forgot the damn japanese name)

Are there any specific dimensions i need to know concerning when cutting the wood or any other thing?

(utter confusion)Where would i find all the wires and cables?Would I need to actually destroy a controller?

I would think that the dimensions of your stick is your preference, but I really don’t know.

When I think of building a custom stick I divide it into three parts.

Building/finding a box, soldering/wiring the pcb, and obtaining arcade parts.

Building the box can be difficult and time consuming depending on your tools, experience with woodworking, and how nice you want it to be. Finding a box and drilling holes for the buttons and mounting the joystick is not that bad. I’ve seen suitcases, shoe boxes, tupperware, drawers, etc used as a box.

As for the pcb I think the only way for a Xbox 360 is to take it out of a controller. I might be wrong, but I havent found any alternatives in the forums. As for soldering the board I personally would wreak the board with my soldering skill. The points to solder wires to each button seem small. I know for the PS3 you can purchase a Cthulhu Board then just wire it up and you good to go.

As for arcade parts check out this post for online retailers.

I build my first custom stick during the MvsC2 craze it was just some cheap o particleboard hand saw to rough length covered with contact paper and then nailed together with finishing nails. Ripped up some DC controller for the pcb soldered wires to the buttons and joystick. Not really a stick to showcase to people, but it works solid. I had fun learning about building customs sticks. I wish I had found Slagcoins website back then because it is very informative. Props to Slagcoin. After reading slagcoin’s website if your up to the challenge good luck building your custom stick or currently finding a stick in this SF4 craze.

This is all you really need. It will show you a step by step guide on building it (including measurements) and tell you what you need.

Sure.

Dimensions are mostly on personal preference, however, you can’t have the box too shallow as you won’t be able to fit the joystick & buttons in.
I’ve found A4 to be perfect for my boxes, enough room for my hands to rest & also allows easy printing of artwork on a printer that prints to the edge of the paper.

Wires you buy from any regular hardware/diy store.
You would need to open a controller for Xbox 360. Basically all you are doing is extending the contacts on the pad to the arcade buttons and stick.