Need woodworking help: angled control panel on arcade stick

Okay, here’s the deal: I’m planning to do another arcade stick project in the near future, but unlike my last stick (which was Arcadecab.com / SF2 Anniversary style), I’m planning on doing a fancier, Norris-style arcade stick with a wood grain frame and a flush-mounted plexiglass sheet. However, something that’s been driving me crazy as a bat is that I can’t seem to find anything anywhere about how to put an angle on the stick’s front and back panels without botching things up.

On a well-crafted angled stick, the front and back boards are perfectly flush with the sides, and the angle is consistent across the entire panel. When I made my last stick, I tried to achieve something similar by using a jigsaw on an angle, but it came out kind of sloppy and didn’t really work out. It didn’t matter since there was a panel going on top of it all anyway, and I was able to fill in the gaps with resin, but with the wooden frame style sticks, that’s obviously a lot different.

The best guess I can come up with is that I’d need to use a table saw, but unfortunately I don’t have one, nor do I know anyone who does. The best I’ve got is a hand held circle saw, a jigsaw, and a router. I’m thinking I may be setting my sights too high considering the tools I have, so am I wasting my time pursuing an angled Norris-style stick, or should I just play to my strengths and go flat?

BTW, I’m planning on making this stick as birthday gift for a family member who is not a stick player (yet). Considering that this is going to be a stick for stick novice anyway, would making it angled be more trouble than it’s worth? I’ve also noticed that a great many customs at this site are perfectly content with a flat, level panel. Are angled CPs overrated for the effort it takes to achieve them on this type of build?

IF you dont have a tablesaw, dont try it.

Thank you, that is all I needed to know. :slight_smile:

Also, I just noticed that not even the Mad Catz TE stick is angled. If the $150 be-all-end-all of arcade sticks chose to omit it, then I don’t think that the person I’m making this stick for is going to give a flying flip about it.

In order to do those fancy borders you see on TMO’s casings, you need a router and router bits. However, it’s sometimes much easier to use the router upside-down on a table (don’t know the english term), especially when there’s no space on the router “shoe” to hold upon.

you can cut perfectly straight without a table saw. if you know how to rig yourself a guide using spare wood or some such, you can still cut the sides.

as far as joining the sides and top/bottom piece, you at least need a miter box so you can cut a repeatable angle.

Interesting, I didn’t know you made sticks.

He is not only trying to cut strait he is trying to cut straight at an angle.

He cant use a miter box cause he is going to be cutting it longwise.

I don’t have a table saw and I manage to cut straight lines by using a circular saw (don’t try it with a jigsaw) and then use a router to bevel the edge.