"Nem-Assists": The Nemesis Teambuilding/Assists Thread

nemesis-t-type

Hey Nemisites. I come with a question. I’ll be attending EVO this year, and I’ll be entering the Marvel tournament. However, due to other circumstances, I will not be able to use my stick there, and I’ll be forced to use a Madcatz Fightpad instead. Because of this, I’m going to need to make some adjustments to my team accordingly to compensate.

I’m sticking with my Nemesis/Sentinel combo, without question. However, I may need a new third, preferably with someone I am acquainted with. I’m looking at trying either:

• Frank West / Nemesis / Sentinel: I’m comfortable with Frank alone, but I’m concerned about synergy with Nemesis and Sent. Are they worth investing time into? Do they have any glaring problems I may have missed?

• Nemesis / Hulk / Sentinel (aka Macarratti’s team BIG): I’ve worked with Hulk in vanilla, so this combo wouldn’t be too tough to implement, and this conversation looks promising. Maybe it will be worth a try…

I realize I kinda screwed myself into a corner here, but with two months to go, I’m just looking to do the best I can with what I can do right now. What are your thoughts?

I personally run Nemesis/Frank/Dormammu, and I think the two have some good synergy. Any of Nemesis’ assists let Frank get two shots in at the end of a combo, Shopping Cart is a great assist for Nemmy, and the THC with Frank on point is also awesome for letting Frank get two shots in. (and, for the lulz, at the end of Nemesis’ hyper in the THC you can do Frank’s roll to get a mixup into a huge ground bounce and combo)

Personally, I’d say you need to think of your opponents. As of late, Marvel has been swamped with Morrigans and Taskmasters and all sorts of Keepaway Shenanigans, so you should probably try to compensate somehow. I nominate these:

Wesker: This opens up knee-jerk launcher options for you, giving you a nice too against certain zoners.
Doom: Plasma Beam for eating up projectiles
Hawkeye: Same Reason as beam, but also Gimlet as a useful tool.

Hrm, a fun little thought experiment. Oh, before everything lemme say congrats on going to EVO. I’m jealous. Anyway, both of these work out great.

Nem/Frank/Sentinel sounds pretty scary, actually. I know two of the other Nems on the forum play frank with him, and one of them found that if you cancel the DP super’s last punch on the first of the two hits, into shopping cart, you can combo off the cart with a raw frank launcher, hit 'em down, camera + launcher slam assist, camera again for level 4, no TAC, that’s some fun stuff. The only problem with that is the combo before the Nem super will be short as fuck, considering the followup requires both bounces. Still very doable with drones early on in the combo, getting in the way of a ground bounce or something fun and cheesy. And Frank lvl4+ with drones sounds silly good.

Hrm…I like Hulk/Nem/Sentinel, too. Airtola rocks some pretty strong Hulk/Nemesis synergy, so there’s a fun place to look. Everyone here likes Nem in front, myself included, but Airtola must run Hulk with Nem second for a reason. And the only person who I’ve ever seen run Nem on anchor is Bum, and DAMN, he makes it work (THC tricks with Cap/Arthur/Nem) I always say, that clothesline assist with Hulk’s command throws is fun.

My only concern is that these teams will be zoned very easily. I know Hulk can get through shit, but the process of beating zoners with Hulk is the most insane shit ever, and I can’t even comprehend how guys do it. For the sake of better matchups, who else are you comfortable with? I’ll see what I can think up with some other guys, if ya let me know. Oh, and curious, what was your team when you had your stick, and why’d it change?

My original go-to team was Nemesis/Sentinel/Wesker for gunshot relaunches and XF4 Wesker on anchor. However, when it comes to trying to work with Dark Wesker on pad…I can’t control it! I haven’t ruled out the possibility of pouring time into him again to get used to the timing again, but like I said, I don’t have much time until the big dance, and I could use all the input I can get. No pun intended.

My Doom game isn’t all that great, but Hawkeye…you might have something there. I’ve messed around with Hawkeye a bit, so he certainly seems feasible. My immediate question would be that if I use his triple arrow assist, do you think I could use Sent’s low rocket punch for relaunches, or would he be better doing something else?

Thanks for the advice! This is giving me quite a lot to work with!

super late reply on my part, but those are some good points. I’ll experiment with Sent on anchor and see how it goes :U

I lean towards Team Big, but that’s cuz that’s just my style :U. as other have told me about my team(s) numerous times, you will NEED to gain and keep your momentum with that kind of team. once you do, you’ll steamroll, but lose it, and you’re up shit creek without a paddle.

with my current team, Doom makes a good anchor (I suck with doom, but even my sucky doom is better than Sentinel anchor) and he’s a good assist/ DHC for the team.

as for Frank, I’ll let “the Cape” give you advice on him. He’s the local Frank guru XD

Okay, that’s my favorite thing ever, Nemesis and Hawkeye. He’s the best thing ever to get close, and Nem likes that. I could see Hawkeye greatly benefiting a Sentinel in both approaching and zoning, but I’m not positive it can extend Sentinel’s combos. I’m not sure if your otg is faster or slower than X-23’s, but I cannot use her otg and Hawkeye arrows for a relaunch. I’d look into using Nemesis’s clothesline rocket after the Sentinel otg, if you wanna relaunch. The rocket occasionally fucks the follow-up ('cept for X-23, the rocket always hits if I time my BnB right, and I intend for it to), but you don’t have a wall bounce on Sentinel’s combos, so that’s fun stuff. You’ll DHC to Sent a lot with that damage, so he’ll have the assist on hand. I’m very biased towards Nem’s clothesline assist, if you didn’t notice, but it’ll work, I say.

please only sent as anchor on team bigboy.

PFFFT. I like that name XD

its a good team. sent/hulk is really fun to play and you can do ghetto fly + hulk assist cross ups. i have a bunch of vids of that team online.

Gotta try this out. I love ghetto crossups. And this one sounds WAY more useful than dropkick forward roll + assist.

It makes me happy deep down in my heart of hearts that a team comprised entirely out of Heavies can hold its own in this game. Maybe not perfectly, but it’s nowhere near the suicide it was back in MvC2.

Well, this is a game where 90% of the cast is usable, if you know the tech, do your homework, and dedicate some effort. I think that’s amazingly cool.

as I’ve always said, despite this game’s flaws, Capcom has still achieved a game where around 40 of the 48 character cast can consistently hold their own on a well constructed team. UMvC3 is a VERY balanced game, mostly because almost every character has some kind of utter bullshit to abuse

So, who do you think is unusable?

I’ve got my own thoughts, but I wanna hear your list.

My guess: Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Hsien-Ko and Shuma Gorath are all extremely low, but have their uses, so they’re only barely just viable.

Doc doesn’t have the buttons, IF and Hsien-Ko suffer from extreme lack of mobility, and Shuma is just lacking, so others can do his job better. But you can still win with these characters or they have assists worth keeping around.

Even She-Hulk and Thor have good potential.

In fact, the only character in this game with absolutely no redeemable qualities and simply can’t function is PW.

I was thinking of testing out a Nemesis(Slam)/Dormammu(Hole)/Arthur(Daggers) just for kicks. Nemmy is the kinda heavy dude I want to play.

Okay, here’s my list of bad guys: Hsien-Ko, IF, maybe Shuma. Hsien-Ko requires specific setups for godly lockdown and mixup potential for other characters, but she cannot shine well on her own, and a lot of setups that exist already make people like sentinel of ammy around as good as her godly assist, so the same effort put into someone else would be better used. And IF is slow in the air, but his ground speed is insane, his footsies are fantastic. Just, his mixups suck, and he’d be great if this game didn’t love guys with air games. Shuma’s decent, I have links to combo video showing 900k to 1mill X-factorless combos, and resets/ways to combo off his command throw. His mobility is less terrible than people give it credit for. He just requires SO MUCH WORK to make himself as good as the rest of the cast. Oh, and though he’s actually a pretty high-damage character, he has to be near the corner.

But I will protect PW to the grave. He absolutely requires you have all the stupid really specific kinda tech for, but in the proper team he annihilates, or at least accents it like no one else. I only have one example, but he’s so badass it counts: Basic Sausage. He has found so many ways to make Phoenix Wright’s weird requirements usable. And PW has some interesting things to add for teams once you figure it out. PW’s dog is one of the best assists in the game, odd thing to say, but it’s undiscovered great assist, just because it fills so many niches. It’s a low otg, one of three assists in the game, and is delayed enough that you can do very odd delayed otg stuff with it, like a Cap’s Shield Skills Hyper with doom missiles kinda deal, just lesser known, so people don’t have tech for it yet. It’s one of the best ways for Hulk to follow up his command throw, and can unlock for Hulk a pretty accessible grappler game, more like the Nem we know and love. And, of course, the assist unblockables for those who have the pressure. And Dark Wright (final mode, XF3, with the cell phone equipped) is a blast. I can mash two buttons and win for free. And, he’s like felicia in that he has pretty impossible-to-escape unblockables. Someone will find a way to bring him to the big-time eventually, but he needs a REALLY specific team, or a buff.

That team sounds great, by the by. And yeah, Nem is wonderful. Nem, Thor, and Hulk are massively under-appreciated.

My best character is Dormammu and I was thinking of a good evil minion to be his enforcer up front. He sounds like the one.