Link to Album on Photobucket
So about 2-3 weeks ago. I began working on making a NGPC working with an arcade stick. And decided to try to make a mini arcade unit. Here is the concept image I was working on. I thought it would be cool to rewire the cartridge port to be the markee on top, but upon looking inside the pcb, desoldering the cartridge port would be impracticle. I decided on 4 buttons A and B and Turbo versions for doing LP and LK in fighting games.
I really liked the NGPC but always wondered what it would be like to play with arcade parts. I tried emulators but the sound and emulation isn’t 100%.
Started with the main sides and control panel.
Since getting video out of this portable isn’t feasible with my electronics skills I opted to use a magnifying glass, and will be putting lights inside the cabinet.
Partially put together to test if I like the angle and ergonomics. Right now it is propped onto some particle board to hold it up, but that won’t be used as the base.
After a week of trying I finally got my turbo circuit working with the 555 timer chip. This PCB that I hacked up basically fluctuates the voltage for the common “ground” on the two buttons which actually has voltage and cycles it to the true ground from the - side of the battery. I can now attach the common line for A and B to these and they will automatically press on and off. The red wire is from the Common on A and B, the white goes to the battery - and the output on the right goes to one of pins of the button, while the other pin goes to the button signal. Used an astable circuit setup for anyone wanting to do research on the diagram for this.
Made side supports for the panel. I drilled holes for threaded wood inserts to attach the panel.
I did a test fitting with the parts that came in. Neo Geo colored buttons. I decided to use an LS-40 since that is what I heard was used in the Candy cabs.
I didn’t like how low it was when I bottom mounted it so I top mounted into the 1/4 in MDF by carving out 1/8 in from the top for the mounting plate. I hope it holds.
A view from underneath
Worked on the Marquee and top panel. Decided that I should use corner braces for these.
A view of what it will look like at eye level. The stick is designed to be played at a dinner table or desk height rather than a coffee table. I’m going to cut up some black acrylic to make an enclosure for the system from the front. I was also going to be using maglite LEDs to light the inside of this.
Hope to update in two weeks or so. Things to do next are to figure out the bezel and setup lighting in the cabinet.