Never used Stick, should I go big on first one?

I’d pick up a $100-$200 stick even if I’m new to it. If you don’t like it, or it’s uncomfortable, you can resell it without losing much. As for stick choice, here are my opinions about the Qanba Q4RAF and Madcatz TE.

For about the same price as the TE, I’d pick up a Qanba Q4RAF. I have used and owned both and here are my thoughts.

Pros for Qanba:
-Qanba is about the same price as a TE, but is dual modded and uses the same Sanwa Denshi parts. So if you have a particular console at home, and decide to go to tournaments that use a different console, you’ll be covered. This was definitely an issue for me as I owned a madcatz TE for the xbox 360, but my locals and EVO use PS3. Not an issue anymore, since I have a Qanba.
-Qanba has a felt bottom so if you play on your lap, it doesn’t slip around as much. Also, if you’re wearing shorts or something, it’s not cold to the touch like the metal panel on the bottom of TE sticks.
-Qanba comes with a thick painted plexi top over the metal panel. One benefit is that when you press on your sanwa buttons, there’s a more solid/smooth feel. When I press buttons on my madcatz fightstick pro, it feels hollow and there’s a louder noise since madcatz only uses a metal panel with a sticker on top. It’s hard to explain. Another benefit is that when you replace buttons, it’s a lot easier pushing snap in buttons through the thick plexi over a metal panel on the Qanba than it is a thin sticker over a metal panel on the madcatz TE. There’s less resistance on the plexi and the buttons are secured just as well.
-Qanba comes with accessories such as button plugs, cleaning cloth, and headset.
-Qanba has excellent customer service. If you ever have problems, you can always email llx8000, who runs the Qanba thread on Tech Talk and he sends you replacement parts. I had a problem with one of my LEDs that indicates what player you are and he sent me a new pcb and control panel for free. All he asked for were pictures of the inside of the stick to see if he could diagnose a problem before he sent out replacement parts. The pictures didn’t show any loose connections so in about 2 weeks I got a replacement pcb and everything works great. All of this was after my 90 day warranty. So if you buy Qanba, it’s safe to assume they’ll take care of any problems whether or not you still are under warranty.
-The Qanba surface is also flush, so your palms won’t be hitting or resting on anything awkward.
-Inside of the stick is really clean, roomy, and organized.

Cons of Qanba:
-I hate that the USB comes out of the side rather than the top.
-There’s no break-a-way portion for the USB so if someone trips on it…you’re SOL.
-Start button is on the front near the main 8 buttons. I have never hit the start button inadvertently, but when my friends are over and they use the stick, they will occasionally pause in match. Just depends on how crazy you push/mash your buttons I guess.
-Not a fan of having a handle on an arcade stick, but I can see it’s benefits.

Pros for Madcatz:
-Haven’t had any technical problems. Overall it is a good stick. For about the same price though, I’d rather pick up a dual modded stick.
-Nice placement of start button and USB cable.
-Easy to resell.

Cons for Madcatz:
-USB compartment is kind of small and a tight fit for the cable.
-No felt bottom.
-When you open the top panel, it takes a bit of effort putting it back on because of all the wires and little room there is on the interior.
-top panel bolts get oxidized as well as the metal bottom panel.
-Most TE models have a bezel, which isn’t fully flush with the stick.

Nothing final, but I’m leaning towards picking up a Qanba Q4

bought two sticks the same week. Hori VX-SA and datel/paewang + all sanwa parts. I have a LS-32 with a bat in the VX-SA now and I think its totally different than the datel with the JLF. on a table, small sticks are fine. in your lap, the small sticks are lacking in stability when slamming the stick to the left. on the other hand, the VX-SA does not have the low profile that may be more comfortable for some when playing on the lap. you can’t go wrong with all sanwa but you may have a bad experience if you are on the wrong restrictor plate. half circle forward is easy on octagonal gates but its harder to hit a perfect UF. square gate will remind you where your corners are exactly.

Get a used Brawlstick (with hopefully Sanwas/Semitsus). That way, if you like it, you can keep it. A lot of people forget that sticks with same parts will feel identical in your hands outside of slight differences in the cases.

Worst comes to worst, you’ll be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for.

I really want to throw up looking at the brawlsticks though, haha. A problem I have with a lot of the things I buy is aesthetics are very, very, important to me.

So? Think of it as a trial period. If you like how it feels, you can resell and buy a TE/VLX/B15/Whatever.

Plus, most modded SE’s have custom artwork already.

True, ill see if one comes up, I have a bad habit of getting into collecting things as well, so I figure if I do like stick, i’ll just end up buying a bunch of em anyway.

i went straight to a Qanba Q4

Regarding the start button placement on Q4s: I don’ think the surface button is a problem. That’s how the Vewlix cabinets are laid out, and it never bothered me in the arcade. Some of the player-specific Q4 models have the start button on the right side of the case, though, and that might be an option if you’re worried about rage pauses. One of these is the pink Kindevu model. <3

B15 sticks are nice but those are very unnecessary. I don’t think for a first stick you would pay up to $400-800. Just by a market TE, Hori, etc. Those work just as great performance wise as a B15.

Borrow a friend’s TE stick for one week and then decide if stick is for you.
I started with a TE stick. And recently bought a Brawl Stick for player 2. The Brawl stick just doesn’t feel right. It’s too light and small. Also the diagonals aren’t responsive (the restrictor plate is too small and needs to be filed down.) You’ll only be satisfied with a Brawl stick if you mod it completely: Replace the art, stick, and buttons. The size and weight still bugs me for lap play.

I completely agree. Can’t beat dual-mod out the box at $150.

I would not know

What Stick/Controller Should I Buy?

^^^^what he said.

PBbbttt durrrhhh. Why didn’t I think of that. Darksakul painfully made a long and detailed sticky. Gosh…

I was in the same boat. My local Gamestop had 2 Street Fighter X Tekken TE sticks and one Brawler stick. And the price didn’t help matters. $29 for the Brawlstick and $159 for the SF X T stick.

Well after many minutes of debating with myself, I bought the SF X T stick for $159 cause I know that these sticks hold their value. If I’m not satisfied then I can always get my money back. But I considered it a $159 investment. I want to get better, so I opted out of buying the cheaper stick.

take it from me. i’m on number 3. go big from the get go if you’re gonna go at all.

do what I did and tear that garbage art off. But don’t do what I did by drawing a big veiny penis on as a replacement to test your theory that you would feel less gay playing with your hands over a a giant schlong than over The Rock’s and Triple H’s finely chiseled greasy manbodies. (protip: it is empirically proven to be less awkward to show off the giantschlongstick versus the wrestling art toyour parents, friends, and family)

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/Lars1000PetalLotus/jackie-chan-meme.jpg

I can see where he’s coming from. I got tired of fondling the Rock’s nipples every time I pressed X and Y as well.

Yes, go ahead and get the stick, but be aware you’re going to hate it for 2-5 months. You’re going to want to stop using it and go back to pad; trust me. I got my stick and couldn’t even do a dragon punch anymore. It’s from all my years playing like a goofball on a dpad. I never truly learned how to execute, I was just guessing from trial and error and built up muscle memory on those guesses. Not a good look, lol.

If you don’t want to dive into the stick, get a PDP Versus Pad. It’s a six button layout and the microswitched thumb stick emulates an octogate stick. Get accustomed to something like that first, because I had to for a few months after I bought my stick. Going from a 4 button pad to six button is going to take some getting used to on it’s own if you’re coming from a standard pad.

It took me 5 months to get the hang of arcade stick. I don’t know, something just clicked with me about three days ago. I “get it”. But that’s only after I used a PDP (did fine by me in 2 tournaments), switched my square gate in my stick to an octo, and then put my square back in. Next tournament I attend, I’m using my stick for the first time.