New FGC Article on Community Coverage

What up,

I started a blog recently and one of my first posts was on the fighting game community. I wanted to constructively discuss a concern I saw in the community and wanted others input on that concern.

Being it’s a long post, the short version is just why there is not as much coverage on the overall community with the various scenes popping up here and there. I feel if there was more coverage, more connecting of heads around the globe, then it could help the community grow stronger in various games. Why? Because there is so much good stuff going on around the world, especially here in the states. It would be awesome to hear who is doing what, where these kats are coming out the woodwork and all that goodness.

Read my article here (tehfamine.com) and feel free to share/retweet if you like - http://bit.ly/QapR3R

The problem is that the stream monsters often times don’t really care about the lesser known players. IMO, this is a bad thing since it drives the whole “star” mentality that alot of the more traditionally minded folks don’t like.

That said, I’d personally love to put these lesser known up and comers on the front page, I just need folks to actually create content (combo videos, match vids, strategy etc.) from or about them.

:coffee:

I totally understand that reasoning with spending resources to stream a event to the masses, but we’re talking about easier avenues for key events (not all events) to get coverage on other avenues. For example, a feature article on what’s going down. Maybe a interview of community heads doing their thing where others could learn from how they got started etc. Not stopping everything else to highlight a bunch of unknowns to kill off a viewer base.

Someone commented on the article today about how it’s up to the heads to promote and get those mentions. I 100% agree. It’s up to the people to get their faces out there you know? But, a lot of them find it extremely hard to take those avenues because they are unknown. It’s extremely easy for say, Level|Up, UltraChen and etc to get those highlights. They are known and networked in the system. Everyone else–trying to create that scene–is blocked unless they are hitting high marks at tournaments as players, not organizers and community leaders.

I don’t mean to be so critical on the subject, but many of the top people in the scene always provide commentary on how things need to grow and become robust. Yet, rarely do they pull the raw community together in the various other scenes that are trying to grow and feature their stuff in some way that doesn’t drown out everything else (that the StreamMonsters care about). It’s very much a restricted group in that sense, and I think if they put a little more emphasis on the guys doing their things elsewhere, then you will see the FGC is growing. Then in return, hopefully those guys will keep doing their thing regardless if they grow super huge or not. They all tie into one another and feed each other IMHO.

I should mention too: what the outlets and organizations are doing for the FGC is great. I don’t want to make it sound like what they are doing is all wrong. They are pushing things in the right direction. All the community heads I’ve talked to who are the unknowns by the majority agree with that mindset. It’s just that things can be improved on other ends as well. Having those avenues to expand and also make your mark only helps everyone because not everyone can get out to all these events. There simply is not enough money and sponsorship in it yet. So, they are trying to do things where they are to keep people hyped and interested. If those pools go unnoticed by the majority, they will have a hard time surviving.

I would have normally not said anything and moved on, but all of my FGC restraint is being used not to go into a rant on how right Sanford was and how uninformed anyone who thinks he wasn’t is.

Your desire for growth is good but your starting point and the points that arise from it are slightly off. Its hard to get any attention if you aren’t beating people, that hasn’t changed since the beginning days of the scene. If someone from North Carolina wants to submit an article on what’s going down that’s one thing, but no one is going to North Carolina to see what’s up. What makes north Carolina any different from any other group of randoms? I’ve seen so many TOs run their events into the ground that I’ve lost count, so just because someone is running tournaments and wants the community to grow in the area doesn’t mean they will be any good at it. Just to clarify I’m not coming at North Carolina at all, but if someone from North Carolina wants to get some exposure they either need to start beating people or going out and meeting people.

Online players and people who come from online communities don’t understand how much of the relationships in this community are in person relationships. People let people on stream that they know Ultra Chen and Level up didn’t network in the system, they knew these people before there was a system. If someone who has been to over your house to hang out asks if they can be on your stream your way more likely to give them time than someone you don’t know who emailed you from across the country asking for time.

As for their not being enough sponsorship to get out to events people used to make it to these events when there was no sponsorships. That’s the difference between attending tournaments for enjoyment and competition or as a business trip. If your local scene is looking to someone elsewhere to provide the hype for people in that area to continue playing, it is doomed.

You’re starting point is one of a lack of motivation, and hunger… but hunger is a whole other rant. No one owes it to the players of another area to keep their scene alive for them. If someone wants to write about what’s going on in there scene that great but there has to be something notable going on in that scene, the singular fact that people in a certain area are gathering to play fighting game is thread worthy but its not necessarily article worthy.

Thanks for the response. While I respect what you’re saying, I have to disagree somewhat.

You make a valid point on value in say, North Carolina if there is nothing of value to see there to the overall masses. But, you make your point through an individual or group of individuals who beat others in events that are covered. This doesn’t translate as well as you think because the individual or group of individuals do not normally shine as much as a light on their home communities as everyone thinks. Sure, if over time, more and more come out of that home community to make a stance to the world, then it would eventually become what Cali is today. However, that takes a good amount of time to make happen. Time of which, I feel would take many years as it did for other hubs that are as popular. Even then, those individuals get the lights shine on them most of all. It’s about them filtering into a new stream of fish with the other big fish. It’s not about what stream they hatched from overall. It’s entirely different than shinning a light on those hatcheries.

Don’t confuse making a name for the individual with getting highlights on the scene you’re creating. Two entirely different things. Players who want to get to the top will need to get to the top by beating those big fish like you said. Scenes that want to get to the top need to spawn those players. To help spawn those players, the community should (question is if they need) help each other out simply for those scenes to gain exposure. Otherwise, you throw out a big “I DON’T CARE” type of attitude that only helps kills those scenes.

Besides, it’s not all about being No.1. Scenes do exist to provide both competition and a place to play fighting games.

2 Things

1. Assuming your plan were put into action, how would you filter the credible player groups, from randoms gathering to play fighting games in Idaho, Alaska and Mississippi.

2. If my attitude from 1,000 miles away killed your scene, then maybe your scene deserved to die.
    And I don’t mean that in the dickish way it probably comes of, but I can’t even comprehend the existence something that someone from Cali could have said back in the day that would have made me want to stop playing Marvel or CVS or Guilty gear or KOF anymore.

Good questions.

1. I think in order for it to work, there would need to be a filter. Someone who can identify the good from the bad. Someone who isn’t going to throw up trash and someone who is going to pick stuff that has some value or at least can overtime, become valuable. There needs to be some cherry picking there, but also some direction for those who are not cherry picked. Then lastly, it needs to be squeezed into what’s already there without drowning out say, coverage on the big tournaments, contenders and etc.

2. I think that’s the problem though. People either quit the game or get better. It’s easier to quit. Taking that mindset only encourages people to not play the game. If that’s fine for you–only the strong should survive–then that’s fine. But, don’t expect a lot of growth going forward either.

How do you verify information in a place you haven’t visited about a scene you haven’t seen? If you’re not going there yourself then you’re just taking the word of the people who live there telling you how godlike their scene is when in reality they may all be trash. You’ll get a dozen of those a day from scrubs wanting to let you know how good they are. Unless they’re travelling to each state, which no one is, there no good way to verify good from bad in random out of the way places.

I’m all about trying to get new people into fighting games (check out my signature), but getting good at fighting games is hard work and If theres one thing I’ve learning in all of these years of trying to help new people to learn these games its that trying to teach someone who doesn’t want to put in the work on their own is a waste of time. I’ll help you learn even if you’re not that good, alot of people on here will, as long as you’re willing to put in the work yourself, but I’m not going to constantly keep you from quitting when all you are going to do is quit as soon as I leave. If your community can’t stand on its own legs or will fall apart without somone else support thats a pretty major problem.

Well, in order for it to work, an outlet like say, Shoryuken will need to get some information from that scene. Things that can be verified is like consistency and professionalism. You can verify that from how many events they run to how they present those events either viral or firsthand. Things like live streams to websites all play a role in that verification. It should be rather easy to filter those who take it serious to those who don’t. It also forces those who don’t to actually start taking it more serious and getting more events going to presenting those events in a professional manner. From there, you should be able to gauge the scene size. Things like Facebook pages, live streams and general following help with that easily enough too. I mean, it’s not rocket science TBH.

As for good matches and content. That’s really on the events. You just have to trial and error it. We’re not talking about an outlet flying out to those events and covering what they see. We’re talking about mentions on the main site, maybe some interviews with people who look to be doing something good and even possibly inviting them via Skype on shows too. Small baby steps if you ask me. It’s all content, and any content can be made into good content in right hands.

For example, Shoryuken could easily do a new feature article set on community spotlights. Maybe an article a week on someone doing something in another scene. Come up with some questions and get those guys to talk about what they are doing. Doing stuff like that is easy and means a lot to those who get featured. From there, you could branch out to other article series like “Starting a Scene” etc. Things where people can simply talk about how they got going and what you need to get going. The same goes for major events like monthly’s in these scenes. They can be lumped together once every two week or something.

All things that are pretty easy to do and don’t hurt the main flow of articles on the main site. No one is going to suddenly stop reading other content because someone decided to feature some of the unknowns more to help them grow. Were talking small rocks here, not mountains.

Sure nuff, it takes hard work to get good in fighting games. I know, I’ve worked in the gaming industry for almost 7 years and been in the competitive scene longer for other games. It’s not easy, but the competitive scene is also a minority. There are far less good players than there are bad players just as there is far less competitive players than there are casual players. Scenes are not surviving because there are really good players and only really good players. They survive for something greater than that, the passion for the game. Those who are good are an important piece to the bigger picture, but not the entire picture. My article subtly covers that because many are making it out to be the only picture.

I keep saying it, but it’s so true. It all feeds itself. The little fish feed the big fish. You have to keep the little fish spawning so they either eat or get eaten. Taking the approach of eating all the little fish or letting them simply die from natural causes does not keep the entire ecosystem thriving.

On another topic, someone brought this up to me today about attending a covered event like Final Round etc. When you’re an unknown and you head out to those events to see if you got what it takes, you are sort of pushed off the side even if you do somewhat well. It’s all about the knowns. Unless you get that top 3, you might as well hang it up. Like many have said, you got to be hungry and win period. Again, you either win (get top 3 or first rather) or quit. Many quit and do something else. Maybe play casually and be a spectator or just drop out all together. Because even if you do somewhat well at those events. There is no highlights to you even if you place pretty decently.

My followup article to the previous - http://bit.ly/NdmO6N