New guy with questions

Hello all, I’m Zeth and I’ve played fighting games on and off casually since I first played Super Street Fighter 2 turbo back on the sega. I want to get into more serious and possibly competitive gaming but I have some questions, seeing as I have been one to jump to thing when others are jumping off.

1.I have recently acquired SFAC and CVS2. And I’m wondering if I should bother getting really good at them seeing as how Street Fighter IV is coming out soon and both games are decently old, as well as other games I wanted to play like Guilty gear(since I heard it would be replaced by Blazblue) and MVC2 since it decently old as well.

1. Would I be stretching myself too thin by trying to pick up more than one fighter to begin with?

Open to all opinions, suggestions, and snide remarks…

Play them so you can get used to the mechanics of a street fighter game.

Learn techniques, practice execution, etc.

first learn the basics and mechanics. if you don’t have anyone teaching you how to play then i suggest just focusing on one game until you understand the basics and mechanics. pretty much the same thing the person above me said.

I’ve watched thongboy Bebops instructional video and I’ve been trying to learn some of the more advanced techniques and intermediate techniques. I was pretty decent at CVS1, and by that I mean I could play through arcade mode using terry and ken and not lose both of them. No real experience with other players, cept my brother who hates SF3 but is willing to try MVC2.

I suppose I should also get a Joystick huh? I’ve heard from here the cheap ones aren’t worth buying, but money is tight for now and It’s really hard to work on harder techniques on a regular controller.

Another question I have is should I invest in an expensive PS2 controller now when the next gen games are going to be coming soon, but this one seems easier cause I already have CVS2, SF3, GGXXACP, and I’m working on getting Melty Blood Act Cadenza.

I heard there was one really great PS2 controller. Costs around 40 bucks. About getting a stick though, while expensive and difficult to get good at, it offers a lot more precision and solves what I call “controller crisis”. Controller crisis is when you play somewhere else and your execution is off because you get a bad/shitty pad. Unless you get a really good PS2 controller and carry that around with you.

As for playing other games, I’m fairly certain you can still play whatever you want since a lot of people do anyway. SF4 being released isn’t a surefire lock on other SF related games. But yeah like said before, it will help you get down the mechanics and basics. Hell I just started learning ST over 10 years later since it came out.

you just need a little of SNK love on your list

i dont think cvs2 will be worth playing for much longer. CVS2 has been dying out. Even moreso once sf4 hits. It’s also going to get removed from evo next year, which is a pretty big deal. I say learn 3rd strike, or super turbo(preferrably HD remix when it finally releases) for now. since 3s is not going anywhere anytime soon, and there will always be a sf2 scene available always

focus on the common basics of the fighting games, rather than the nuances of each game. that will give you important experience for the upcoming games.

new players shouldn’t start with 3S IMO. it’s too unique and fucks up your view of every aspect of street fighter.
ofcourse veterans of other games can play 3S well if they want, but this game is a pitfall for new players.

I think the sad part is I played CVS2 for the first time today and I love it. As far as SNK games go I have 2 KOF games 98, 99 I think. Also XI was $15 at gamestop today.

SF3 seems a lot different than most other fighters.

Apparently Gamestop carries the Wii Hori fighting sticks but not the Ps2 ones, that is disheartening.

I think I might pick up the mayflash controller since it is cheap and can be upgraded fairly easy. Playing on a regular controller just seems akward now that I’m trying to play better, I used to use it and didn’t think anything of it but some techniques and stuff seem better suited for the stick and the six button layout, Guilty Gear especially.

Also what kind of basics should I be picking up that is common amongst most fighting games?

know your character advantages/disadvantages, matchups, moves and moves execution. watch** match videos**

Controlling space, understanding character distances (eg. most Capcom grapplers cannot play a long-range distance game, so use that to your advantage if you are fighting them), footsies, mixup (high/low/overheads), pokes.

that is true, 3s is different. i was rushed when i posted earlier, but i meant to also say, that playing ST(or hd remix when it comes out) wil lprobably help you the most when it comes to execution, spacing, zoning, footsies, and how to disect matchups. Nothing provides fundamentals better than learning to play a sf2 game. the skills learned in that game, carry over to EVERYTHING

watch sirlin’s tutorials on youtube.

as a general rule the only time when older fighters just get dropped like a rock in favor of newer ones is when the newer ones are direct sequels/updates to the older; even then, it usually turns out the older ones usually will still stick around if they managed to get a following before the newer ones came along

for example street fighter 2 and 3 are both still big today (as far as fighters go these days at least), while a new guilty gear game tends to more or less entirely replace the one before it (though it’s doubtful if this’ll happen with blazblue)

if you stick to one fighter while you’re starting out you might get bored and just say fuck it; the big thing you need to learn them and improve is access to a number of decent/good people to play against, face to face or on something like XBL

CVS2 is slowing down but still seems to be pretty big, might as well go for it; there’s some combos and stuff that might be frustrating to learn the timing and execution for (i’ll leave someone more knowledgable to elaborate here) but overall the game should teach you all the basics and then some pretty well

as for SFAC you’ll be fine learning the ropes on that as well until you start going to tourneys, since peeps are particular about which console version of SF2 is closest to arcade so they won’t stick with a particular one for long if someone finds a flaw in it; right now it seems the dreamcast version is where it’s at for the purists, but since HD remix is around the corner this issue should become moot soon with any luck

Thanks all for the help. There seems to be a decent following for guilty gear, but is there much of a following for games like melty blood and arcana heart, cause I have heard they are both great games but I wonder if they are worth getting into.

play st online

I say Arcana Heart is a good game but depending on where you live you may have to be willing to travel to get good competition or convince your friends to play and make your own scene. It’s only been widely available for 3 months and some people are turned off by the all-girl cast, so there’s not as much of a following as there is for Street Fighter and such. There is some tournament play and the sequel is already out in Japanese arcade so it’s possible there will be more of a following in the future.

I can’t say anything about Melty Blood since I’ve never played it.

If you’re aim is to get better, a serious aim should be fighting opponents better than you
also, dont get discouraged by repeated losses.

I would also say play ‘cheap’. I think there seems to be a general conception among non-fighting game enthusiasts that some things are ‘cheap’. I dont mean things like infinites and unblockables, i simply mean play with what’s available and play to win. Throw someone who is open, sweep them if they keep falling for it, cross them over if they dotn know how to block, etc.

I’m no tourney level player, (mostly lack of motivation :() but i was quite scrubby until i played for almost a year against competition who would almost NEVER lose. By the end of the year, I turned the tables, using what i’ve learned from them and vids and faqs and message boards like srk. just keep at it.

Lastly, enjoy the game :slight_smile:

Any competitive game that you find fun just play it. It’ll help you find the basics.

I know a friend of mine plays Arcana Heart so I could always hit that up with him, but I’m not really aware of there being a fighting game scene anywhere around me. I know a local arcade has MVC2, SF3, T5DR, and Guilty Gear XX Slash but I’m not sure how many good players go there.

The main thing my friends like to play is brawl, and as much as I love the game I’m more of a 2d fighter kind of person, and the main thing I just don’t want to get good at a game that no one plays, been there before and it’s no fun.