New Joystick Maker and Video Game Business: Networkingyuppy

Hey folks, my name is Ben and I am currently a college student in NY. I live in NYC and I manage a storefront retailing in video games. We carry everything to everything, from imports, to old school games for game consoles like PS1 and even Snes games! Besides that, I’ve been running the store, along with my boss, and long time friend for 7 years now. Our store is called GamePAD inc, located in Brooklyn for you shoryuken’ers out there. We’ve got MvC2, A neo geo arcade for you KOF’ers out there.

To get to the point, I have been very active in the arcade scene for 10+ years now. I’m currently 21 years old, and I have seen alot of action on capcom fighting games. We have a couple of very good players in MvC due to many years of playing and practicing on the game.(I’m kickass with strider, but I still can’t pull off mags inf (argH!).

Anyways I have interested in designing my own arcade controllers and I have seen the work around here. To all the famous arcade makers(Big Pockets, Finkle, Byrdo, and all you people out there),I applaud you folks for inspiring me for designing my very own controller. After looking at numerous controllers here in the forums and joystick vault, I’ve decided to create my joysticks in plexiglass. Although plexi might not appear to be durable, I’ve managed to design a plexiglass case that will be durable and well stylish.

I’ve decided to start a business in making joysticks to pay off my debts from college(go figure) and also enjoy what I do. At the moment, I have designed these boxes myself. It’s my first time attempting to build a case and it does not seem to be perfect. I did not cut the plexi glass myself, I know a shop that does it and apparently the measurements were a bit short off. So far, I’ve built 2 cases so far, one is going to have a Bruce Lee background designed by me and a blank one, both a work in progress. Here are some pictures:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00024.jpg?t=1228304408

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00025-1.jpg?t=1228303222

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00022.jpg?t=1228303116

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00027.jpg?t=1228303147

Instead of making a controller with wood, I’d wanted to try something new. I was wondering if you guys would be interested in purchasing these arcade controllers if I were to make more in the future. Although I am still a newbie in making controllers, I hope these pictures will impress.

Anyways I wanted to start this entrepreneur business just to keep survivng and paying rent in school. I’m usually back in NYC for the holidays and summertime and I work in the game store. Other than that, I’m usually down at Mott Street playing at the Chinatown fair. I’m going to be graduating with a Bachelor this year, and I have aspirations of working in the video game industry. Besides that, I manage the game store by myself. I’ve been working for 7 years now and I know how the pricing and margin profits work for wholesale/retails video game goods. It has alot of people crowded in the store daily, since there are computers to play on. I’ve been trying to find new ways to help the game business continue growing. I know how Gamestop has store policies that can sometimes screw customers over with game sales. Our prices in preowned games are alot less than what you expect in Gamestop. Normally gamestop would sell a preowned game that was recently newly released for 5 bucks less. Our preowned video game goods are usually 35-60% off from new retail prices, instead of getting shafted with the 5 bucks off of a used game,meanwhile you can purchase a new one for 5 bucks more.

Since reading this may annoy some of you readers because it’s too long, I just want to let everyone know about my video game business. Like I said, I will be making joysticks and listing them for sale, also offering a HUGE INVENTORY of video games and accessories. If anyone lives in the NYC area, feel free to stop by and hang around check the place out. The phone number is (718)837-6604, and is located at 6324 20th ave, Brooklyn NY 11204. I won’t be back working in the store until mid December. I can still take orders if anyone is interested in purchasing games. For all you local folks in the area, Just take the N train towards Coney Island at 20th avenue, you won’t be disappointed! :smiley:

I’m glad to be a member of this forum and proud to reinforce Shoryuken to the fullest by providing the community with affordable games and offering services in making and designing arcade controllers.
-Ben aKa Networkingyuppy

Best of luck to you with your business ventures. I live in Connecticut so I’ll try to stop by next time I go to CTF.

Thank You. I hope this business will work well, aside from the retailing business I had originally started with.

O.o is that acrylic box showed in the last pics, if that is so, I will be very interested on purchasing it after winter break… it will work so well with a project that I am planning to do in the future. (I was planning to dremel the hell out of my existing arcade stick )

make sure its DURABLE!!!

Aye Aye.

actually, for the case, can you see into the inside of the box?
I took a closer look on the picture and no longer certain that the box is a completely clear, acrylic box anymore

PS nice sticks

it seems like demand is up

stick builders are popping up everywhere!

Hey man, welcome aboard (I’m new here too) and good luck with your business! I’m out on Long Island but might come check your store out one day. Sounds nice!

make sure you drop one of your prototypes on a hard floor before you try selling them. acrylic is prone to breakage and drops do happen. would suck to buy a custom thinking it’s durable, have an accident, and the thing shatters.

Hi Networkingyuppy.

I’ve been building plexi and Acrylic cases for quite some time now.
(I’ve made 5 complete and operational sticks using these materials).

The advices I can give you for the future:

• Use at least 6 to 7 mm boards (I use 8!). your cases seem to be made out of 5 or 4 mm acrylic boards. This makes them breakable if they fall down a table on a corner.

• Use Acrylic chemical glue to put the boards together. Screwing directly in Acrylic or plexi will make it very fragile. (if you really need to use screws, use bolts! DO NOT screw directly in the parts! (this is very important).

• Cut (or have them cut for you) the boards more precisely next time. (the size doesn’t match in the corners obviously… the sides are too short by a couple of milimeters or the main plate is too large…)

• The best way to make your case solid and “durable”, is to add aluminium or wood parts.
    (not using acrylic / plexi only).

Good luck!
The materials you’ve chosen are very difficult to work with.
So may the force of the neg-rep be with you!

Well, my cases are reinforced in thin metal sheets so that nothing would break. Second it is not acrylic, it’s Plexiglas and its transparent.The thing you see on the cases is a metal sheet behind it. The plexi is 1/4 in thick. There are wood pegs fitted inside of my cases. I have finally received my parts from lizard and I’ve finished building it. I will upload the pics soon.

In that case, my advices above are not “advices” but “must do”.
(Acrylic is a bit more flexible… Plexi is by far the hardest material to work with and I’ll definitely advise you a second time to use bolts and not screwing anything directly in it.)

That’s cool. You should have mentioned it in your initial post then.
(I’d use aluminium instead of metal… to prevent rust.)

Congratz and like a few other people have said, welcome to SRK.
Looks like NYC is coming up in the stick building business.

umm… plexi IS acrylic. it’s a name brand of an acrylic product just like lexan is the name brand for polycarb.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00028.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Networkingyuppy/DSC00029.jpg

Done. Here you guys go.

Just a few critiques. Please don’t be offended, but if I were a buying customer, I would be concerned with…

• The button spacing looks off. Mainly the short button.
  • The corners to look “off” and dis shoveled.
  • Take any and all of Atryu’s advice. Guy has done some incredible work.
  • Good to see another person making sticks.

Yes, I’d make sure to use a legit button layout (print out at actual size and tape to face) since that is probably the one thing that people will notice immediately.

I’m actually a fan of the guerrilla-mod style, so the corners and questionable materials don’t really bother me as long as the price is right. I built a test box out of a tough card stock and styrofoam base and it ended up becoming my favorite stick, so imo you can get away with function over form as long as you strive for durability.

Well This is my first one. I personally didn’t cut them myself and I did get someone to do the job. Now that I know where I screwed up at, hopefully I can build another one next time.

Yes, this is true, but usually people call acrylic the “Acrylite™”… which si a different brand (boards are covered in brown paper) and Plexi for the Plexiglass™ brand of Acrylic boards (boards covered in blue plastic film).

These are supposed to be two different brands of the same product, however, (I’ve tried both) Acrylite™ boards are much easier to drill/cut than Plexiglass™ ones. Plexiglass ones are very “crushy”… they tend to break and crackle very easily under a drill.

It’s a bit easier to work with Acrylite boards.