New member new problems

First off hello all and thanks for such an awesome and active community.<div>So I just picked up ssfiv ae and im starting with ken just to get used to playing. First off im no good according to the fact that I can’t neat arcade mode on medium. I have no experience with fighting games. I ordered a fight stick (madcatz mlg te) it should be here in two days. Im good on execution as far as special moves go but I suck at combos and timing. Im not glued to ken and my style thus far is more rush down. My question is what can I do to improve? Is practicing against the a.i.  enough to get me started? I really want to improve. All answers are appreciated.</div>

<div><span style=“font-family: ‘lucida grande’, ‘Lucida Sans Unicode’, tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;”>Play the game, a lot</span><br></div><div><br></div><div>If you can get out to a local scene, do it. If you can’t then you’re kind stuck with online, either way grind out matches and spend lots of time in training mode</div>

If you’re having trouble against Medium A.I, you’ve got a long road ahead of you.<div><br></div><div>Eat, sleep and breath the game. Spend hours just in training mode. Look up high level play of your character, and emulate their tactics into your playstyle. </div>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/84855/joojieman">joojieman</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>  First off hello all and thanks for such an awesome and active community.<div>So I just picked up ssfiv ae and im starting with ken just to get used to playing. First off im no good according to the fact that I can’t neat arcade mode on medium. I have no experience with fighting games. I ordered a fight stick (madcatz mlg te) it should be here in two days. Im good on execution as far as special moves go but I suck at combos and timing. Im not glued to ken and my style thus far is more rush down. My question is what can I do to improve? Is practicing against the a.i.  enough to get me started? I really want to improve. All answers are appreciated.</div></div>
</blockquote><p>

<br>Don’t put pressure on yourself. That is unfair. You need to enjoy the game. I can understand that you, maybe, are inspired by some great matches between the top players, but you’re not in their league. It will take you a looooooong time to master the game. I’m talking “at least” 6 months. So, don’t put pressure on yourself. Look up Ken tutorials on YouTube. If, you don’t like Ken then by all means switch to another character. There are 39 characters to choose from. I would advise having 2-3 characters. That way you won’t get bored, and you’ll understand the game better. All the best.</p><p>(Rises along with Master Gouken and walks off)…</p>

Well I changed my controller I was using a ps3 afterglow that I bought for my daughter. I dont know if there is something wrong with it but just using a regular controller seems to help a ton. I beat arcade without any mishaps. I also play as yun. Im thinking of maining him when I get a little better. After some more time in training I’ll be seeing you guys out there. Thank you for the answers. 

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/84855/joojieman">joojieman</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Well I changed my controller I was using a ps3 afterglow that I bought for my daughter. I dont know if there is something wrong with it but just using a regular controller seems to help a ton. I beat arcade without any mishaps. I also play as yun. Im thinking of maining him when I get a little better. After some more time in training I’ll be seeing you guys out there. Thank you for the answers. </div>
</blockquote>

<br>No problem. Keep it up.

<div class=“QuoteText”>  First off hello all and thanks for such an awesome and active community.<div>So I just picked up ssfiv ae and im starting with ken just to get used to playing. First off im no good according to the fact that I can’t neat arcade mode on medium. I have no experience with fighting games. I ordered a fight stick (madcatz mlg te) it should be here in two days. Im good on execution as far as special moves go but I suck at combos and timing. Im not glued to ken and my style thus far is more rush down. My question is what can I do to improve? Is practicing against the a.i.  enough to get me started? I really want to improve. All answers are appreciated.</div></div>
</blockquote>

Find combo to practice. Practice the combo with the dummy on auto block.<br><br>Then practice the combo with the dummy on random block to see if you can hit-confirm.<div><br></div><div>Ken’s most consistent combo is cr.lk cr.lp cr.lp link HP Shoryuken.</div>