New member/noob player

I’ve lurked around these forums from time to time and I would like to introduce myself. I have played fighters off and on for years now but never taken them serious. I don’t know what happened to me but over the last few months I have not been able to put them down.

Currently I and playing Persona 4 Arena as Aukiko, blazblue I play Noel, SSF4 AE but I haven’t choose who I like and the same goes for SFxT.

I do have a few questions for the 2 latter games I listed. Who do you recommend? I call myself a noob but i have no problem with the execution of most moves and simple combos. But I do consider myself a noon on the mental side as in knowing when to use what and understanding what each character brings to the table. Please no charge characters for some reason I just can’t get my head around the precharge mechanic. Also I have a hard time with 1 frame links and plinking is not an option as I messed up my right hand in a skiing accident which is why I use a fight pad over a stick. I can move my right thumb and trigger finger fine. That’s pretty much it. I play on both xbl and psn, my gamertag for both is usedtobezylem. If there’s anything you want to know about me feel free to ask. I look forward to being a part of the community.

Welcome!

For what it’s worth, you can definitely learn to plink on pad. I play on pad and I can plink. Still, you probably don’t want to start out dependent on that, you should work up to it slowly.

For a rushdown character who doesn’t require a ton of execution, I would probably recommend Cammy or Yang. I think Cammy is actually quite a good character to start with coming from anime games, she has great tools and will really ease you into the fundamentals of SF4 while being somewhat forgiving of mistakes.

I don’t know anything about SFxT, so I’ll leave that to someone else.

Cool thanks for the suggestion. Can I add a few follow up questions?

What are some good links ton practice of her’s to get a feel for timing?

What are a few of her BnB moves to focus on learning?

Is there any pros that use her so i can research this on my iwn and not take up too much forum space?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Also its great so meet another persona player and a BlazBlue Rachel player. It must of been tough for you when CS came out, I heard she got nerfed to the ground, which is a shame because I was always interested in learning her but I just loved showing people that Noel could do more than just spam (D). I never used Jam in Guilty Gear, I stuck with Chipp and was learning Venom.

Haha yeah, Rachel is still good in CSE and CP. She’s not top tier anymore, but still scary.

I don’t play Cammy, you’re best off checking the Cammy boards here. There’s a combo thread and a video thread you can look at to get a sense of the character. Some top Cammy players you can look up are XiaoHai, KBrad, Chi Rithy, LPN, probably a lot I’m forgetting.

I think I can take over for SFXT. really its street fight + Tekken and that’s about it. only for the fact you can link L-M-H-H to tag out but im sure you already know that. as for a characters im guessing your a rush down lover. I would try out all the rush down characters in the game such as Cammy, Hworang, Lars, Sakura, etc. once you do pick the ones you like, practice some combos with them together and see the best way to two can operate with damage and emergency tag in’s (don’t know what its officially called, they are like special moves that make it safe for the other character to be tagged in the match)

really a major thing to get good in SFXT to me is experimenting your characters best potential together. Once you do then it should be much more easier. Well that’s all I got atm so if this doesn’t really help then sorry ^^;

[quote="“PolkStyle77, post:1793, topic:1844”]

I do have a few questions for the 2 latter games I listed. Who do you recommend? I call myself a noob but i have no problem with the execution of most moves and simple combos. But I do consider myself a noon on the mental side as in knowing when to use what and understanding what each character brings to the table. Please no charge characters for some reason I just can’t get my head around the precharge mechanic.
[/Quote]
You should really pick up a charge character on the side. Charge characters are great learning characters because they teach you to rely on normals, not specials.

Here’s a video on charging. The real charge time in SF4 is 1 second, not 2 like he says.

Nice to meet you! SRK can be an abrasive place, but most people mean well.

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice.

@jrfromny great info on SFxT since I am practicing Cammy in SSF4 I’ll use her and try to find a partner that fits well. I’ll start with the characters you recommended. Which gives me the perfect excuse to get the dlc lol. Is it just me or does the link/combo system in SFxT feel more forgiving than SSF4? Either way I love both the games as I have never been a fan of the dail-a-combo system like in mk. Which is kinda sad since injustice looks very well done.

@Kikuichimonji fuuny you mentioned that I was just messing around with Chun in her trails. Down charge to up like for spinning bird kick I had no problems executing, but back charge to forward like her fireball is a pain for some reason. I must be off somewhere it only comes out half the time. I have been trying to charge using the down and back method and I will keep tinkering with it when I take breaks from other games since its a nice switch from my norm.

Good beginner characters, uhmm… Well, I would have said charge characters, since they give you a good feel of the game, but ignoring them. Maybe… Ryu? He’s usually a favourite since he’s pretty balanced, although I’d never admit that because I hate Ryu thanks to xbox live.

Hm, Ryu, Ken, Rufus, Cammy, I’d recommend just going into training mode, go through all the characters, find one that feels comfortable and then learn more about what playstyle fits the character best, then if you’re still comfortable, go with them. That’s how I settled on Abel.

Yeah for Chun you can charge by using down-back. This way you can gain access to either up (for something like SBK) or forward (kikoken) when you do the second part of the charge move.

It comes with practice really, but I may as well share these vids on “pre charging” since they’ve helped me with the execution of back-forward charge moves.

Kindevu, Alioune, and Sanford Kelly

cr.lk xx cr.lp, cr.mp xx hk spiral arrow is a good simple hit-confirm.

A good simple punish with her is cr.hp -> cr.mk xx hk spiral arrow.

She can DP FADC backwards U1.

You should check the Cammy subforums for tutorials, advice, and other info.

SF4 Cammy subforums.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/36

URL’s on New SRK have been wacky as of late. I still use the old numerical links I memorized before the forum migration. :sweat: