New MMO: Rift

Anyone picking up this new MMO? Seems interesting from the videos and articles on various websites. You choose between two factions, Guardians or Defiants. It?s your typical fantasy setting MMO with warrior, mage, cleric, and rogue class which the game terms ?callings?. Each calling then has about 8 ?souls? (advanced classes). But one thing that sets it apart from other MMOs is the ability to combine different souls together. Most reminiscent of how in FFXI, you can pick a main job but also pick a sub job where you would gain some added bonuses based on which sub job you picked to synergize with your main job. In Rift, you?re able to combine several souls together however you?d like; spread your skill points evenly between two or three souls or focus on a single soul or any combination of both.

Rift is set to release March 1 and is still in closed beta. But if you pre-order the game, you?ll be automatically invited to the closed beta events. I believe the next beta event starts February 4 and ends February 7. Another beta event is scheduled before the game?s release in March. I?ve got that MMO itch and DC Universe Online didn?t cut it for me so I went and pre-ordered the digital collector?s edition on Steam. I missed the recent beta 5 event so I?m definitely looking forward to this week?s beta 6 event. Rumors are that the game/beta is very polished and well done so far.

I know several other SRK?ers were in the past Rift beta events. Hopefully odin and Shaeknbaek can fill us in on the bad stuff about the game. The videos I linked at the bottom already go over the good stuff (especially gameplay #3).

Game details (from Steam):
? Full-Featured: Guilds, dungeons, raids, auctions, crafting, a vibrant economy, Player vs. Player combat, and more!
? Deeper Gameplay: New features like Guild Quests and Artifact Collections enhance your gaming experience by giving you earned achievements that matter.
? Highly Accessible HD Graphics: Play a game that has stunning visuals on virtually any computer, even if your PC isn?t state-of-the-art.
? World as Your Adversary: Extra-planar creatures surge into the world from rifts, turning bastions of safety into frenzied battlefields. Defeat these monsters and earn unique rewards, or use them to your advantage by forcing enemies to engage them. Your choices impact others!
? 8 Primal Forces: Creatures from the Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, and Death planes battle for control of the world of Telara! Two warring factions?the Guardians and the Defiant?face off against each other and fight creatures from the planes as they seek to save the world.
? PvP Combat: Battle others in exhilarating Player vs. Player combat! Earn PvP ranks, titles, loot, and unique souls to further enhance your character. Head to cross-server Warfronts and fight others in world PvP.
? Build Your Class: No other game lets you build your class the way RIFT does. Specialize in a single class or pick and choose abilities from many to create a character uniquely suited to your play style?and have fun while you experiment!
? Choose Your Role: Each character can have up to four different roles, so you can choosedifferent classes for every situation! You might have one for PvP and another for raids; or perhaps you want a high-damage or high-defense build. The choice is yours to mix and match as you see fit!

Links:

Official website: RIFT - Home
Skill builder: Soul Tree Calculator :: Rift: Planes of Telara :: ZAM

Videos:
Explanation of classes/souls/roles: [media=youtube]T2E0val9Qxw[/media]

This guy?s commentary is nicely detailed but he?s a bit too enthusiastic about the game imo?
Gameplay #1: [media=youtube]pbulo8IusIc[/media]
Gameplay #2: [media=youtube]HT7Po6aGUzk[/media]
Gameplay #3(game details): [media=youtube]6HdzDsKwg44[/media]

*Update: Open Beta starts this Tuesday Feb 15th.

seems like everyone who is quitting aion is anticipating rift

i wonder if it will be just as bad a turd as aion is

only time will tell

fishjie: what was bad about aion? seemed to be fairly popular with SRKers

I’m hoping not, because I’ve had my eye on it…

I was going to say something about Dr. B cumming in my eye. Then it all fell apart in my mind.

what the aion thread died a long time ago. srk hates that game.

i only ever bump it to gloat and laugh at everyone who was so excited over it.

bad class balance, too much RNG, boring grind, pvp that consists of ganking and zerging, the list goes on and on. i still play it, but only when i’m too drunk/high to play better games. the grind soothes me.

I was also in the Rift beta, overall impression was that it was pretty damn solid, but if you wanna hear the negatives:

• Public groups have zero organization, A rift gets open and you just get thrown in with a bunch of randoms and wail on some enemies. At this point many roles have little to no meaning, and healing is just downright dreadful.
  • Invasions happen way too often when there’s little people around to stop them, don’t even try to fight off a small mob because you will be insta-killed.
  • On the flip side to difficult invasions are absurdly easy Rifts, like a handful of randoms could fight one off. Also way too many Rifts too frequently, like way too many.
  • Quest become difficult to finish in congested areas, everyone will be going after the same mobs and as previously stated public groups are a big fail.
  • Many quests are rather bland and uninspiring, kill x number of mobs, collect y number of items. That standard affair.
  • Rather linear, do quest, fight off an invasion, turn it in, move on. Rinse repeat.
  • You have three soul trees to customize skills, why? The third one is useless.
  • You need a beefy computer. Especially with all the people that form together fight off Rifts, prepare for a powerpoint presentation.
  • Guardian have lame racials, Defiants ALL THE WAY!

Now half that list can and will probably be tweaked, the quest grind is broken up by varying invasions and rifts, fighting off invasions brings up a good challenge and cooperation, and the game runs without a hitch most of the time. The few server errors and disconnects I faced were patched almost completely out before last beta was over.

I’ve also been in the Rift beta, and earlier iterations of the beta and other current versions of the game have the invasion spawn rates different from the last beta event. I believe they’re in the process of tweaking it, so I have a feeling it’ll be lowered pretty significantly when retail hits.

I think part of the problem with the public group is that they’re random, which is unchangeable, but also that everyone in them are new and don’t really understand how to play the game. After retail is out, and people are more comfortable with their characters and roles, it should make the public groups less of a clusterfuck.

I do have to echo your statements about quests. Other than invasions, which are quite cool, the quests are overly linear and sparse. The levelling curve isn’t steep, but you do really need to finish every quest in order to level without grinding. Of course, this is probably purposeful to encourage people to partake in invasions and rifts to gain xp.

My computer is decent, but I there’s no way I can play the game at full settings during an invasion. I heard the low quality renderer makes it vastly more fluid, but I haven’t tried it.

One additional comment you didn’t touch on is there will be very limited add-on mods. While everything in the UI is scalable, movable and I believe skin-able, mods like those that exist in WoW will not be possible. Some may consider this a bad thing, but I think it sets the game up to having less problematic long term gameplay issues.

Bait: “No other game lets you build your class the way RIFT does. Specialize in a single class or pick and choose abilities from many to create a character uniquely suited to your play style?and have fun while you experiment!”

Switch: You have to buy a $10 item from our in-game store to redistribute your skill points.

my predictions

gonna just keep waiting for guild wars 2

nah it just costs some gold to redistribute your skill points. cost will probably vary as you level up. it’s in the “explanation of classes/souls/roles” video i posted.

i kinda do hope this game sucks so that i can switch to star wars: the old republic without remorse. but if sw:tor sucks then i’m shit out of luck for a good mmo to play lol.

having only played the last beta to come out i’m extremely excited. I foresee many issues with pvp balance, but lets be honest any mmo that has tried pvp sucks ass at it since it’s fucking retaredly hard to balance pve and pvp to a T. I was extremely happy with my experience(although it was fairly limited not having broken lvl 20) with the leveling experience. With the pace of invasions/rifts i never got bored of the quest grind and something new was always happening.

i pre-ordered right after the conclusion of the last beta an anticipate FINALLY quiting wow for good(stupid cataclsym bringin me back…)

I played a war/chloro/necro and a para/rift/champ

next beta(the 4th) i plan on trying a healer and tank builds.

i must say i have high hopes for this game providing something fresh and new as well as polished. That beta was prolly the best beta i’ve ever taken part in as far as mmo’s are concerned and i look forward to further adventures haha.

I played the beta thoroughly. Game is fantastic.
It meshes the best parts of WoW+WAR+EQ+LotrO into one great game.
Nothing new here. Just a really polished game with a fantastic skill tree mechanic.

Now let’s clear some things up…

“- Public groups have zero organization, A rift gets open and you just get thrown in with a bunch of randoms and wail on some enemies. At this point many roles have little to no meaning, and healing is just downright dreadful.”

These are public quests. They aren’t supposed to be organized for the most part. If you played WAR, you know they are there to break up the monotonous feeling of questing, and to get some nice gear for doing your part. If you didn’t get healed, its because there were no healers. Healers get participation bonus for healing.

“- Invasions happen way too often when there’s little people around to stop them, don’t even try to fight off a small mob because you will be insta-killed.”

They did that to test the strength and framework of the servers. Make sure nothing crashed when a bunch of rifts opened up at once and 60 people zerged to them.

“- On the flip side to difficult invasions are absurdly easy Rifts, like a handful of randoms could fight one off. Also way too many Rifts too frequently, like way too many.”

Read above. And they aren’t supposed to be hard. Raids and instances will be the hard parts of the game.

“- Quest become difficult to finish in congested areas, everyone will be going after the same mobs and as previously stated public groups are a big fail.”

I never actually had this problem. And I was in a fully populated server. There are a dozen or so quest hubs that make you go all over the place if one place is full.

“- Many quests are rather bland and uninspiring, kill x number of mobs, collect y number of items. That standard affair.”

Welcome to MMOs. At least drop rates are almost all 100%.

“- Rather linear, do quest, fight off an invasion, turn it in, move on. Rinse repeat.”

Again, welcome to MMOs. At least this game has public quests.

“- You have three soul trees to customize skills, why? The third one is useless.”

Depends on how you want to make your character. Even putting 2 pts into the 3rd tree could have great results.

“- You need a beefy computer. Especially with all the people that form together fight off Rifts, prepare for a powerpoint presentation.”

My friends have a year old computer that can run this with no issues.

“- Guardian have lame racials, Defiants ALL THE WAY!”

Sure. You win that one.

“You have to buy a $10 item from our in-game store to redistribute your skill points.”

Lol no. This isn’t a korean MMO with an in-game store. It’s actually really really cheap to respec. And not that much more to buy 3 more specs to switch inbetween.

I speak highly of this game because it has amazing polish. I didn’t run into any bugs or glitches. Makes DCUO look like an alpha release.

New beta is up this Friday. Download it and give it a shot.

And it does not feel like a grind at all. I played casually on last beta and hit lvl 20. Beating rifts gives good XP, winning battlegrounds gives good xp, losing battlegrounds gives good xp, beating instances gives good xp, they even have daily instance quests for good xp. Good times.

You bring up these points for the sake of an argument, I’m no stranger to MMO’s and I certainly think this is one of the most well made MMOs to actually hit the market. However it is not without flaws which you seem to make it out to be. The excuse welcome to MMO’s does not cut it, being bland and uninspired should not be the standard. If Rift wants to stand out and beat WoW, which it is heavily marketed towards doing, it has to overcome expectations placed upon it, which will be massive.

Time is not a measure of computing power. Most people still don’t have quad cores and dx11 video cards. Last year’s computer could’ve had an i7 920 OC’d with a 280GTX in SLI, that would dominate pretty well as it is a beefy computer. However many people with actual mid range computers were complaining about slow downs and definitely having to lower graphics.

+1 for rift is a solid and fun MMO

Man in the last hour of this most recent beta (and im sure all the others) shit went to hell when like 60 rifts opened up and everything started getting merked, what a great scene of chaos

Let’s get one thing straight…

Nothing will ever beat WoW. lol

It’s just an alternative and a good one at that.
Also, I am running a 3 year old duo core 3ghz, 4gigs ram (only 3.25 recognized by XP) and an ati 5770. And I can run it pretty well on high settings. But I hear ya, it’s not friendly to lower-end computers.

maybe blizzard’s own new mmo might beat it?

im outi

Roberth

Who knows? It’s hard for some people to just drop a character they put hundreds of hours into.
I’m glad I didn’t invest that much time into one toon.

Plus I am willing to bet that 70% of people playing WoW probably didn’t even know it was an RTS before playing WoW.
So they would have no attachment to World of Starcraft/Diablo because they never played the originals.

This game looks so beast. But then there’s Star Wars coming out later too… hmmmm

Leaked beta reports for SWTOR aren’t good, but the game is still quite far away from release.

Rift is a good game. It won’t capture the audience that WoW has simply because it is more complex, and less light-hearted. You won’t see pop culture references or tongue-in-cheek jokes. It’s graphical presentation, setting, background, doom and gloom plot won’t have the broad appeal that WoW’s cartoony bright contrasts, visually distinct races, and melodrama have.

I hate skill trees.

that’s the price you pay with any pc game, if your computer is ass and you are still running a p4 what do you expect?

I personally was able to run it on high with a 5 year old dual core and a budget 9800 GT(granted it’s a 1gig card and i have 4 gigs of ram…)

i mean all the shit you are complaining about is not really the games fault more a symptom of the platform and genre that the game is…