New Player questions

Hey, I had a few questions, wondering if you could help a new player out

1. What’s the difference between a cancel and a chain? If I cancel a move, it doesn’t come out at all?

2. Why are safejumps so important (no damage on wakeup?) Is it just in case of good reversals?

3. Why are overheads so important? Don’t people block high usually?

4. I’ve been playing the PC version. Are there still people playing the xbox live version? (should I buy it at all)

Thanks for all your help.

1.A chain is when you do a string of c.LP or c.LK as fast as possible,basically you are canceling the revovery of the previous LK or LP,thus there is no gap for your opponent to mash out a reversal between hits.A cancel is when you cancel the recovery frames of a move into a special move,like if you are ryu and you do c.MK into fireball.

2.Safejumps are very important because they let you block reversals with 4 frame startup or more,they allow you to option select something on the way down so that if they do something to avoid your jump in attack,the move you option selected will come out,Ideally to punish whatever they did.Also doing safejumps on your opponent will open other mixups,if they block your jump in you can tick throw or frame trap,also once you start doing safejumps your opponent will get used to blocking high on each jump,opening you up to do an empty jump into a low or throw,anything you want really.

3.Well that depends on your character,some people have good overhead and some have terrible overheads.It is mostly to open your opponent up so they can’t just down-back all day.It will make them have to think about doing something to stop the overhead,if they dont you get free damage.Also most people block crouching.

4.Yes a lot of people still play on Xbox

1. What’s the difference between a cancel and a chain? If I cancel a move, it doesn’t come out at all?

A cancel is basically cancelling the remaining animation of a move into a special move so that they combo. If you attempted
to do the moves seperately the player would recover and be able to block the special move, cancelling into
a special is usually represented with two x’s.

Whereas a chain is basically chaining some very specific normal moves into each other with the input times being extremely
leniant.

2. Why are safejumps so important (no damage on wakeup?) Is it just in case of good reversals?
Safejumps are used to bait out people who like to spam reversals, so you can block them and punish.

3. Why are overheads so important? Don’t people block high usually?
Overheads aren’t really massively important, as far as I know no overheads can be combod from so their damage output
is a bit weak, however they are still useful.

The idea is to throw out an overhead when you’re pressuring the opponent with block strings, most people block low so overheads
are used to try and catch them out.

4. I’ve been playing the PC version. Are there still people playing the xbox live version? (should I buy it at all)
Thanks for all your help.

The PC version is the least popular, but there are still plenty of people to play against. I can’t really see any reason for you
spend additional money on the xbox version, especially considering the 2012 patch is coming out on PC by the end of the month now.