New to 2D Fighters - but not to top level gaming

Yo - I come from the smash community - seems a few of you scattered around recognize the name <3

I played competitive melee for a few years - I was a major contributor to the community and pushed my character to a level never seen before - I consider myself a very smart player who’s best asset is the ability to read a player better than almost anyone else who plays - another one of my best assets in gaming is that I can recognize most patterns and find ways around them almost immediately (I’m currently using said talents to be a smash coach rather than a player) - and those 2 traits are obviously important in a game like this one… I really have been wanting to pick up SF when 4 came out for a long time…

But unfortunately… this leads me to problem number 1. While I consider myself a good gamer in general and a high level player in Melee - I rarely pick up a 2D fighter. I probably don’t have more than 20 hours of actual 2D fighting play under my belt in the last 10 YEARS. I’ve ‘played’ street fighters in the past - but that was before I even knew what competitive gaming was.

I’m really excited about picking up SF4 -because- it’s so new and foreign to me - but largely enjoyable at the same time. It gives me such a HUGE opportuntiy to learn and an opportunity to become active in a whole new gaming community.

Obviously I’m going to be beyond terrible at this game at first asside from my ability to inherantly see through peoples basic strategies and read their movements - but I know hardly anything about the actual gameplay from a technical standpoint - so I had a few questions.

First off - I’m sure there’s about a billion things I should be reading at this point to learn basic strategies of the game - I’ve read a lot of sirlin information and have seen his really stunningly good ST video guide - but I’m sure there is information that is more applicable to this game specificallly

Second - There are a few characters that I really want to play - I’m pretty stubborn in my character choice (I only used Bowser in tournament in Melee - and he was EASILY one of the worst characters in the game) but in a game like this where I don’t have as clear of a favorite - it’s less important. Also I’m concerned about simply being able to learn the game’s base play (so based on what I’ve read I’m not jumping to C.Viper XD). I really like the look of Fei Long’s basic playstyle - but I’m also attracted to Ken’s seeming versatility over a lot of other characters. Able and Dictator also interest me in part - but not nearly as much as the others. Boxer was another character that I used to love - but the whole charging aspect is so unbelievably foreign to me there is no way I would jump straight to him. I’m not particularly concerned about tier placements at this point.

Third - Should I LEARN the game with a stick? I’m planning on getting one at some point - but should I be getting it when I get the game? I mean - what’s the point of even learning the controls on a 360 controller when I’ll almost never be using that once I get the stick? I’m fairly certain I’ll be getting the FightStick when I pick up the game but I’m not entirely sure.

Fourth - Daaaaaangg this game looks tight. Not a question I suppose - I’m just excited.

Fifth - I like tournaments. A lot. I’m a tournament organizer and I’ve run tournaments for anything from smash to mario kart to pokemon puzzle league - I’d love to just jump in and host a tournament - I’m imagining a ruleset is EASILY accessable somewhere so that such a thought could actually be achieved. Any help with a link to said rules?

So to sum up the Q’s in a shorter fashion if you didnt’ want to read that…

**1. **What reading material should I really be looking at to learn the basics of advanced SF4 gameplay?

**2. **What characters are accessable/universal enough for a new player like myself to have as a good “starter character”?
3. **Should I LEARN the game with a stick - or would learning on a controller and transferring with practice be fine?

**4. **This game looks so tight.

5. I would like to start hosting tournaments in my area as soon as is possible - what is the most universal accepted ruleset for tournaments?

Anyways, I appreciate you even READING this much of a monstrous post here - and if you post to help - I appreciate even more.

Can’t wait to play with you all n_n

1. play it
  2. anyone with a fireball and an uppercut
  3. stick but who cares, if you like pad stick with it, unless you want to win an arcade tournament.
  4. yea
  5. 2/3, double elim, no tourney standard on characters, dont ban anyone until we see whats up.

i used to be a melee player too, but then moved on to 3rd strike when brawl came out.

having started on pad and then moving to a stick i would say go for the stick from the get go. i used to think i was better on pad but there are a ton of things in 3rd strike i can’t come close to doing on a pad that are second nature on stick.

ryu/ken/sagat/other shotos are for sure the easiest to play when learning the basics of street fighter.

and just read around in the character threads on the boards.

basics of advanced = intermediate? lolz

1. there’re lotsa reading material on this site, take your time.
  2. i have to agree with anyone with a fireball and uppercut.
  3. user’s preference.
  4. no doubt.
  5. dont know how to answer this since im pretty new to all this myself.

Gimpy. Good to see you’ve converted.

Dunno if you remember me, but the Duggish Ruggish Bone of Yellow Batman is a fighter of streets these days… :stuck_out_tongue:

So to answer your questions:

1. A good site with basic info from characters and moves to frame data and current (although very young) tiers.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

1. Generally the “shotos” are fairly easy to play, think of Ryu as the mario of this game…but you can basically play anyone, unfortunetely it takes a lil while to learn the moves and motions, especially coming from direction+button style input…but you’ll learn.

2. Get a stick. If you don’t for this game it’s the equivalent of playing the bad smash on the nunchuk. WITHOUT batteries. Trust me on this one.

3. Seriously.

4. If you mean the Pac NW i will LOVE you. Check out my blog on AllisBrawl…I’m trying to get people to convert; the smash scene get way too much support for a developer that doesn’t care… :confused:

Hope that was a help, and in return you HAVE to get Shane to switch. I miss mah mumra. plz.

p.s.
Going by your style, I suggest Zangeif. But thats just me

zengief is too ugly though i need somebody cute like bowser n_n

Not sure if you get this a lot in Smash games, I never played the new one.

Learn how to deal with lots of shit talking.

that’s not a HUGE issue for most smash tournaments - but that’s something that doesn’t tend to effect me much XD

especially with a base knowledge that I’m not good at the game - it’s not like i’ll be crushed when i get destroyed because it’s more or less expected.

I play better under pressure anyways :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, except most of the SF community is pretty mature…not a bunch of kids screaming rape or throwing controllers around because they lost…
(yes I’ve seen many children throw fits at smash tournaments)

1. This forum. I learned a lot just by reading the character specific forums. Sirlin was definitely a good place to start. There’s also an awesome wiki on this game if you can read Japanese.

Also play it as soon as you can, and also play the older SFs.

1. Ryu.

2. No stick in SF is like no GC controller in Smash Bros.

3. This game IS so tight.

4. No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination

Well I posted this for someone which can be applicable to your sitiation.

Hey, it’s Gimpyfish. My friend, who’s a very hardcore Smasher, talks about you all the time. You’re the reason he mains Bowser in Melee, :rofl:. Welcome to Street Fighter

1. http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

2. Ryu, Sagat, Fei Long

3. Depends. Are you playing 360 or PS3? For PS3, the controller is fine starting out. For 360 I would recommend at least the $40 Fightpad. You’ll want to move onto a stick eventually if you want to get into high level play though. The $80 MadCatz one should do you nicely.

4. That it does

5. Hmm, since the game’s not out yet for consoles, there’s really nothing set in stone. I guess you’ll have to wait till this year’s EVO to get official settings. But I’m sure someone like you can figure it out.

turns out you sf guys are pretty helpful haha

oh just so everyone knows when i say i’m picking it up i obviously mean in order to be competitive so i’m most certainly eventually getting a stick for tournaments.

thanks for all the help so far n_n

Double elimination format. First to two rounds wins a set, first to two sets wins the match. First to three sets for winners/losers/grand finals. Person from losers’ bracket in grand finals has to win two matches of three sets to win, person from winners’ still only needs one.

Controller malfunctions or pausing the game = restart the set, but only if it occurs in the first few seconds of the set. If it happens any later than that, the set is forfeited by whoever’s controller caused it.

Glitches are only forbidden if they make the game unplayable or unfavorable to everyone but the glitcher, or if they only serve to run the clock for a time over win. Since nothing like this exists in SFIV yet, don’t worry too much about this.

Double blind selection is offered at a player’s request but is otherwise not enforced for every match.

Bring your own controller, no turbo functions/programmable controllers or any mod that gives the owner an obvious advantage. No button mapping for Punchx3 or Kickx3, or for A+B functions. No mapping multiple buttons to the same function either.

I believe those are all the general rules that you’ll see at most tournaments and applied to most games.

As for SFIV specific rules… There’s the El Fuerte daipan loop, and Seth & Gouken. It’s still way too early to decide if either of these things are worth a ban.

Gimpy, I think you should go for a stick and Ryu/Ken. I never got into fighting games until Alpha 3 came out on PS1. 9 years off and on worth of PS1/PS2 pad gameplay was destroyed by a few mere weeks of 360 hori stick play. Easily the best tool for the job. It’s not just the stick that makes it better, it’s the 6 button layout over the 4 button /2 shoulder layout of the 360 controller. It makes some stuff like piano inputs (beginner stuff to help with timing on wake-ups) much, much, MUCH easier on the stick.

I’d be happy to play you online some. I’m east coast though. There are people here that are far far better than I am, but it might be nice to not jump right into a stomping but to a low-intermediate player instead. For right now, I’m a nobody on SRK. Registered years ago and only posted like 3 times since. Hoping to start coming here and getting involved in the community more though.

Hey Gimpy. I’ve seen some of your videos for SSB. Glad to have you in the SF community.

Just to get this out of the way immediately, you ABSOLUTELY MUST get a stick. Go to your local gamecrazy and invest in the TE stick, or the madcatz stick. You likely can’t find one at Gamestop.

You will not be able to get anywhere in this game without a stick. It is damn near impossible to pull off ultra’s consistently on a pad, or at least on the 360 pad.

So to your short questions.

Shoryuken. Your on it. :wgrin:

I think its most important to experiment and see who your comfortable with. Watch some videos, and see who matches your play style. Are you rushdown player? Do you prefer turtling? Counter type characters? Pick who you feel natural with.

Ryu is a fundamentals character. He is the flag ship of SF, so learning him will teach you a lot about the game. I would also suggest Sakura. Complicated characters might be Dhalsim and Gen, but don’t let that stop you from trying them out.

If its in the game, its in the game. Anything goes. Unless some game breaking glitch is discovered, or bosses are found to be to powerful (Takes a lot of time to say for sure), you can play anyone, and any way. The only thing you need to decide on is number of rounds and matches. I would suggest 2/3, best of 2. If you have the time, try 3/5. Winners keep their characters, losers can change.

There are better lists, but that is generally what is important.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Man, this post is so cut up. Looks ugly. :confused: Oh well.

thread over! :rofl::rofl:

haha but i played bowser and hated final destination XD

heya gimpy, I’m totally picking up SF4 as well, I’m sure we’ll be able to set up some pretty big meets.

Wow, Gimpyfish… when I saw your name I couldn’t believe it. I believe I had seen you on smashboards when I played Melee (casually, not competitively) but I didn’t really know who you were until Brawl came out. I would watch your videos all the time.

Anyway, others have already given alot of good advice and I’m not sure I could really add much… but in the hopes of putting even more emphasis on it I’ll say… get an arcade stick! It’s possible to still be good on a regular control pad… but you’ll never achieve execution as consistant as you could using a fightstick. Since you’re looking to play at a competitive level (at least someday) you’ll probably wanna go with something like the new Madcatz Tournament Edition arcade stick (though it might be difficult to get now) or an HRAP (Hori Real Arcade Pro). Basically you want something with authentic arcade buttons and stick. It might feel very awkward at first, going from a pad to a stick… but it will ultimately be beneficial. Eventually you won’t want to play it any other way.

Also, keep in mind that to the bulk of SRK smash isn’t a fighting game. In fact, some have such a burning hatred for it you’ll swear the game must have killed their family and they’re on a quest for revenge or something. :rofl: