New to FGs and I'm running Akuma as my main. I'm doing awful and need help

akuma

Now when I mean new to FG games, I mean new to where my past experience of FG games were DBZ FGs.  <div><br></div><div>Anyways, I’ve been playing with friends who also got the game around the same time I did (few weeks ago) but had legit FG experience before. </div><div><br></div><div>So I have a few questions for this:</div><div><br></div><div>1) This is more generalized but my blocking is awful (generally getting E/Ds in the ranking thing after the game of the game [not sure if this matters]) and with Akumas low health it’s even worse.  What are some effective ways to put pressure on my opponent since I cant play defensively (or I assume I cant because of Akumas low health</div><div><br></div><div>2) What are some effective combos that a beginner can do easily after enough practice?</div><div><br></div><div>3) What are some of Akumas effective normals and moves?</div><div><br></div><div>4) Is it bad to be throwing fireballs in the air or is this a really bad habit?</div><div><br></div><div>5) I have a 360 pad and plinking does not seem possible to me.  Until I get my stick am I screwed if I want to play Akuma but cant do this?</div><div><br></div><div>6) Any good tips/strats I should learn as an Akuma player?</div>

I highly suggest you don’t start with Akuma.

You can move on to him in as little as a week, but, he has so little health that you’ll lose many games just making one or two mistakes.

While you’re learning the fundamentals (which is precisely what your goal should be) you’re going to be making a lot of mistakes. Just my two cents.

otherwise use the forum search function. I think all your questions are answered here already.

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/76736/Prof">Prof</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I highly suggest you don’t start with Akuma.<br>
<br>
You can move on to him in as little as a week, but, he has so little health that you’ll lose many games just making one or two mistakes.<br>
<br>
While you’re learning the fundamentals (which is precisely what your goal should be) you’re going to be making a lot of mistakes. Just my two cents.<br>
<br>
otherwise use the forum search function. I think all your questions are answered here already. </div>
</blockquote>

<br><div><br></div><div>Yeah I have been seeing myself losing matches a lot and I think that low health is a big problem.</div><div><br></div><div>I’m assuming playing Ryu is a good start?</div>

Yep. especially if you’re set on graduating to akuma/other shotos. The amount of info and tutorials for him is pretty staggering, too.

Awesome.  I’m going to start using him now 

<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/65470/Cows_say_meeeow">Cows_say_meeeow</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Awesome.  I’m going to start using him now </div>
</blockquote>

Yea, Ryu will open the road to Akuma.<div><br></div><div>I pretty much play Akuma like he’s Ryu with air/red fireballs. and a demon flip. and absurd walk speed. and a safe, advancing, comboable poke. and a great sweep. and a teleport that’s almost completely safe (especially after what they did to it in sfxt)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<blockquote class=“Quote”><br></blockquote>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/65470/Cows_say_meeeow">Cows_say_meeeow</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Now when I mean new to FG games, I mean new to where my past experience of FG games were DBZ FGs.  <div><br></div><div>Anyways, I’ve been playing with friends who also got the game around the same time I did (few weeks ago) but had legit FG experience before. </div><div><br></div><div>So I have a few questions for this:</div><div><br></div><div>1) This is more generalized but my blocking is awful (generally getting E/Ds in the ranking thing after the game of the game [not sure if this matters]) and with Akumas low health it’s even worse.  What are some effective ways to put pressure on my opponent since I cant play defensively (or I assume I cant because of Akumas low health</div><div><br></div><div>2) What are some effective combos that a beginner can do easily after enough practice?</div><div><br></div><div>3) What are some of Akumas effective normals and moves?</div><div><br></div><div>4) Is it bad to be throwing fireballs in the air or is this a really bad habit?</div><div><br></div><div>5) I have a 360 pad and plinking does not seem possible to me.  Until I get my stick am I screwed if I want to play Akuma but cant do this?</div><div><br></div><div>6) Any good tips/strats I should learn as an Akuma player?</div></div>
</blockquote>

u can absolutely play akuma on a 360 controller. i use one. mainly ur gunna b pllinking the sweep when u do s.HP -> lk tatsu -> sweep but u wont b doing that combo 4 a while. air fireballs r good as long as u know ur spacing. HUGE THING: rank and grades mean nothing. anyone who makes an issue out of it online with u is a complete dumbass<br>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/55889/VolcanicAkuma55">VolcanicAkuma55</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”><br></blockquote>

<div class=“QuoteText”>Now when I mean new to FG games, I mean new to where my past experience of FG games were DBZ FGs.  <div><br></div><div>Anyways, I’ve been playing with friends who also got the game around the same time I did (few weeks ago) but had legit FG experience before. </div><div><br></div><div>So I have a few questions for this:</div><div><br></div><div>1) This is more generalized but my blocking is awful (generally getting E/Ds in the ranking thing after the game of the game [not sure if this matters]) and with Akumas low health it’s even worse.  What are some effective ways to put pressure on my opponent since I cant play defensively (or I assume I cant because of Akumas low health</div><div><br></div><div>2) What are some effective combos that a beginner can do easily after enough practice?</div><div><br></div><div>3) What are some of Akumas effective normals and moves?</div><div><br></div><div>4) Is it bad to be throwing fireballs in the air or is this a really bad habit?</div><div><br></div><div>5) I have a 360 pad and plinking does not seem possible to me.  Until I get my stick am I screwed if I want to play Akuma but cant do this?</div><div><br></div><div>6) Any good tips/strats I should learn as an Akuma player?</div></div>
</blockquote>

u can absolutely play akuma on a 360 controller. i use one. mainly ur gunna b pllinking the sweep when u do s.HP -> lk tatsu -> sweep but u wont b doing that combo 4 a while. air fireballs r good as long as u know ur spacing. HUGE THING: rank and grades mean nothing. anyone who makes an issue out of it online with u is a complete dumbass<br></div>
</blockquote><p>

Volcanic hit the nail on the head. A true Akuma pad player.</p><p>“Messatsu…”<br></p>