New to fighters what are good habits to learn

Hi SRK and thank you to all the people who read this. I am very new to fighting games but have loved watching fighting games for the past 4 years and trying to actually play them and hopefully start an FGC in my city. My Issue currently is as I practice I feel my timing is really really bad and my execution on certain things is very poor. A few examples would be messing up Plinks for SF4 combos (I can`t do anything in that game :frowning: ) My strings in MK9 and Injustice are almost always dropped and I see almost no improvement in myself with hours of practice in training mode. So what are good habits to learn to try and help myself improve my execution and damage within fighters.

And yes I do use a stick, a cheap one (PS3 HORI MINI) but it seems to work fine.

edit typos n stuff

limit practice sessions to 20 minutes per game per day. If you are not improving you are over-training. in each 20 minute session have a specfic thing you work on. Don’t worry if you do not suceed that day. Some of us learn slower. it took me 2 weeks to be able to land one of those doom combos that carry the opponet all the way across the screen :wink:

You’re not going to improve at all playing only 20 minutes per day. If you’ve got a few hours to kill and you want to get better, why not? Though I do agree breaks are important to give your mind some rest.

Anyway, to the OP, it seems you mostly want to improve your execution. That makes sense, because if you can’t at least do basic inputs, you’re going to have a hard time learning how to play properly. I assume you’ve read the [Execution Guide](SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!) in this forum? Can you perform fireballs and shoryukens consistently?

My first advice would be not to practice plinking, or combos which have really tight timings that warrant it. Plinking is not necessary to play SF4 and it’s certainly not something you need to be learning right now. Once you can do basic combos and play your character at a decent level, then you can worry about learning their 1 and 2-frame links.

As far as strings in Injustice, there is no element of timing to the strings themselves. Everything in your character’s “combo” move list needs to be input as quickly as possible as if it’s a single move, unlike SF4 where you need to wait for each move to come out before you input the next one. That might be why you’re having trouble.

For timing of combos in general, you really just need to practice, practice, practice. Try to treat it like a rhythm game, and use the timing of pressing your buttons to guide you. Your stick will make noise as the buttons are pressed which will help you learn the timing and adjust it faster or slower, and also you will “feel” this timing in your hand and arm like a conductor at a symphony. Eventually it just becomes a part of you and the combo is learned forever, which is a nice feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck! Don’t give up!

Watch this. Most of it still applies, besides the inputs for throws. The second and third videos are more advanced and go over important topics, like safe jumps.

Can you do 2-in-1’s? For example, Ryu’s cr.hp cancelled into a hp shoryuken? After you are able to execute special moves consistently, you should practice 2-in-1’s.

Next thing you should do is find a BnB with your character that only has 2 frame links (most characters have this off cr.lk cr.lp). What character are you trying?

Practice moving with your character and learn their fastest ways to keep opponents out. Play endless one on ones or 3 room lobbies and watch others and learn from their mistakes. Also learn which normal hits work good and when (AND ON WHO), then concentrate on getting the most damage out of situations you are comfortable in. Practice pacing and learn your character’s sneaky gamble tactics. Put time into training mode if you do not want to just wing it and practice your execution in ranked like I did.

Get your BnB punishes into your muscle memory.
Practice “impractical” combos, as it increases your overall dexterity and execution beyond what regular combos do. e.g., when you can do a combo that has a hypothetical difficulty level of 9 or 10/10, you’ll be able to do one with a difficulty of 4 or 5/10 no problem. Taking 3S as an example, practicing Yun’s kara palm combo helps you learn his overall GJ combos better, timing wise and understanding of the mechanics. Learning the impractical Urien TTTH combo helps so that you can get TTH with ease. Learning Akuma’s triple cyclone helps you get his DP off of every tatsu you hit. etc…

EDIT: Here’s a bad habit to avoid - Don’t practice against the CPU in most games. It will help you pick up bad habits (I did this in MvC2, where for about 3 years I didn’t have competition, played the CPU a lot, and now I lose to stupid shit, like not having good hit confirms and jumping in wrecklessly). It’s OK to play the CPU… Just make sure that you’re aware that this or that tactic you use will NOT work in a real match. This is difficult for beginners.

I agree with you for the most part. But learning combos against low-level CPUs can be very useful because it gives you practice against a moving opponent.

Good habits in SSF4? For a new player? Ill keep it short and sweet. You’ll thank me for it later.

Don’t jump so damn much. You’re new. I don’t even have to see you play to know that you’re jumping way more than you should.

That’s true, it’s about being aware that something may or may not work in an actual fight situation.

Thank you so very much for all your input I really appreciate it. I will answer a few questions to help people analyze where I`m at for better understanding of my current skill level/Situation.

@Celerity - I can perform QCF’s and QCB’s perfectly 100% of the time. I do have issues however with DP motions and charge motions (Like Hulk Gamma wave/Guile sonic Boom) and changing sides I face does give me a little trouble in my inputs (But I usually adjust within 20-30 seconds)

@Kikuichimonji - In respective games I am trying Ryu/Juri in SF4AE, Nightwing/Deathstroke in Injustice and Nova/Specner/Taskamster in UMVC3. And Suprisingly yes I can do certain 2 in 1s mainly the one you mentioned. One of the 3 combos I can perform in SF4 is Ryu Jump in Air Roundhouse into Cr.LP, Cr.HP, HP Shoryuken. I kinda found that combo by accident mashing buttons out of frustration heh.

@Mohib - I’m actually not playing against anyone at the moment, call me self conscious but I feel my execution is so poor it’s not even worth trying to play against others other than a moving CPU so I can develop some reaction time.

@SirMiahLot - Right now I only have a few buttons I can press out of muscle memory (Ryu’s St.LP into Cr.MK) but I would like to perform combos on a dummy before I can do anything, the idea of trying really hard combos to get used to easier ones is pretty smart but I can’t even land the easy ones so I guess it’s a case of learning to walk before you can run

@XthAtGAm3RGuYX - Surprisingly I don’t jump as much as you think I do out of fear of getting DPed by every shota player however I do find my dashes impeccably slower than everyone else that plays fighters, My wavedashing skills are horrid.

Again thanks to all that responded you have all given great input and I’ll make sure to take note of any suggestions stronger players might suggest to me (which is like everyone at this point).

The best things to practice at the low level are footsies, spacing punish combos, and anti-airs. Anti-airs are huge. You can’t play the game really until the opponent knows he can’t just jump whenever he feels like it.

Combos to practice in SF4:

Ryu:

Cr.lk xx cr.lp, cr.hp xx hk tatsu
Cr.lk xx Cr.lp xx cr.lp, link hp srk. When you get this down, it leads into FADC ultra if you use lp SRK.
cr.lk xx cr.lp xx cr.lp, cr.hk - hard knockdown, very consistent, leads to Ryu’s hold up-forwards safe jump after sweep. (you literally just keep holding up forwards after the sweep, it’s a perfect frame safe jump on most characters).

cr.mp cr.mp cr.hk - cr.mp and cr.lp both allow the same combos afterwards. cr.lk xx cr.lp has similar pushback to one cr.mp however.

f.hp, cl.mk xx hp srk - it’s a 2 frame link, and it does almost the same damage as the one frame. You can FADC from cl.mk xx hadouken into cl.hp xx HP srk for a big 400 damage punish on uppercuts.

cr.hp xx hp SRK is a decent punish.

Ryu’s best anti-airs are really late MP SRK, cr.hp, far hk, and cr.mk.

Ryu’s best pokes are cr.mk, cr.mp, cr.hk (use sparingly), and far lp.

Juri:

cr.lk xx s.lk, cr.lk xx mk pinwheel - reliable combo that works on most everyone, no hard links
cr.lk, cr.lk, cr.lk, cr.lk xx mk pinwheel - slightly harder combo off a chain.
s.mk xx fuhajin release, cr.mk xx pinwheel or cr.hk - Juri’s cl.mk is throw/low invincible like Rose’s and can be cancelled into her fireball for a combo. If they try to tech a throw when you do cl.mk, you will catch them with cl.mk.

cr.hp xx hk pinwheel is a good basic punish, or cr.mk xx hk pinwheel from farther away.

Far mp is her kara throw.

cr.mp is her best anti-air, cr.hp is slightly more greedy. j.mp is a good rising air to air.

Juri’s best pokes, as far as I know, are cr.mk, cr.hk, far hk, and far mp.

Juri might be easier when starting out because her anti-airs are normals, which are easier to time than anti-air uppercuts in SF4. And cr.mp is a REALLY good anti-air for some reason.

Oh wow those combos are stuff I can actually hit after trying a couple times in the first time in a long time I’m seeing improvement thank you so much Kikuichimonji. Also the Footsies handbook you have in your sig looks like excellent information I have read the first 2 chapters and may need to bookmark it so I can use it as a reference guide when I start playing against folks.

Block low, react high. Think about why and when you are pressing the button you are pressing.

I believe it also has a slight backwards hitbox absolutely nowhere near the hand she puts out. I still have a replay where I hit a Deejay who was behind me. Though dont try to do that shit on purpose.

Watch VesperArcade’s tutorial he explains the rhythm formula for landing combos that cancel into moves for street fighter 4.
He has a great set of tutorials that are really informative search him up on youtube will help you a TON.

His explanations are rather solid and you can at the very least learn from him a great deal even if you know a little bit about a little bit.

I can verify this.
Though i found it unexpected, i perform better if i dont do any training at all and dont touch the game for a few days, rather than train every day.
The strain of performing a combo makes me lose focus of other stuff like spacing and adapting to the opponent.