New to SF, seeking answers

In advance, I apologize if this is not the correct location to post this thread. After looking, it seems somewhat appropriate.

So I have been a competitive gamer for the past 6-7 years - CS, Halo series, Quake, and Dota mostly. But recently I got into SSF4AE and I really enjoy this game. It feels like at some level, you could think of each 1v1 as a chess match. I just have a few questions before I dive into this world of SF…

1. How’s the population? It felt like over XBL that there was less than 1k players online at any given time. Maybe even <500 some times.

2. Is this game full of cheese strategies? Cheesing is just a nuisance and such a bad thing for e-sport games. Easily counterable, but so much effort for something utterly stupid.

3. Is there any way to become good at this game without a fight stick and networking with players in your area?

4. Was it normal for me to lose about 125~ matches before winning my first?

5. Is the spinning kick that Fei Long does (that input in general, not sure how to describe it here) supposed to be glitchy for non-fightstick users?

6. Is the fighting-game genre too over saturated with games? I would get sick of buying a new game each year and people constantly moving around.

7. Is everyone switching over to SFxT in the next few months?

8. Are you required to use a fightstick at tournies?

1. networking is NOT SOMETHING TO BE AVOIDED. this scene was built on people meeting people face to face. its what separates the fgc from any other online community. it is the crown jewel of playing these games some would probably say. the best players are the ones that network irl and play face to face.

you will see on this forum many users with join dates from 09-11, and if you’ve been playing as long as i have, you get the distinct feeling that many of these guys have never attended an irl tourney, yet they talk like they are experts when in fact they are just arm chair warriors. they watch streams and then they could do better and never try. its like watching sports and talking about how X player could have played better, when obviously the person commenting does not have nearly the expertise to ever be in that situation to hypothetically fail at it.

yes you can get good without a stick, but why make it harder on yourself? why play chess with your toes? why use a smaller tennis racket? why play football without shoes? why wouldnt you use a mouse and keyboard for a fps when the option is available to you? you get what im saying? yeah ok its all doable, but why would you? yes there are good pad players, but for street fighter, the best input method is stick. (actually “hitbox” is probably the best possible thing. so if you are to purchase equipment, thats what i’d recommend)

1. Quite good. Considering our biggest event…Evo…had over 1,000 participants, the community is strong, especially for the major games like SF4 and UMVC3. Although I’m not quite sure how you arrived at the notion that there’s only 1,000 players online at any given time, considering the fact that you are limited to your player pool usually by region and skill level.

2. If by cheesing you mean abusable strategies that require low levels of execution and easy set-ups, for high damage? Of course there are. However with enough player skill and matchup experience, you can mitigate these advantages. Or if you mean high-risk high-reward move sets or playstyles, those exist as well, but usually don’t fair as well since you’re essentially gambling with your odds of winning a match.

3. Of course you can. Majority of players prefer sticks due to it being the prevalent controller in the arcade setting, as well as its ease of use in terms of right-hand motions for multiple button presses. However there are notable top players that use standard xbox and ps3 pads. Personally for me, its a matter of comfort. You get some seriously mean blisters on your the left thumb with the standard controller, whereas on the stick I can play for hours. You can definitely network with local players in your area, in fact, I highly suggest doing so. Part of fun of being in this community is the social aspect, and getting together with your buddies to play casuals, as well as joining tournaments to test your might. There is a regional matchmaking section on this forum, that can help you meet up with your fellow players. You’ll find that the majority of people are willing to play with you, get to know you, and level up your game.

4. Yes, it is. Fighting games, along with RTS games, have the steepest learning curve of any genre. It’s going to take some time for you to pick a character, learn what their normal and special moves are, how to execute them, and knowing when and why to use them in a specific scenario during a match. I highly recommend you watch some tutorials and match videos on youtube to help bring you up to speed on how to play the game properly.

5. If by spinning-kick, you mean his chicken wing move where he flies through the air towards his opponent? Or the one where flames come out of his legs and he shoots up vertically? There are no glitches for non-fight stick users, but it’s most likely an execution error. Be sure to go into training mode, turning on input display, and seeing what your inputs look like while you’re attempting the move. It can be a difficult motion to get down initially, but with practice and perseverance, you’ll be able to execute it on reaction without even thinking about it.

6. I believe it is starting to get to the point where its over-saturated. People see the rise of fighting games becoming a very profitable market, so they pump out games like mad to make some quick cash. It’s been that way ever since SF2 came out, it’s unfortunate, but it’s what’s been happening. However keep in mind that the basic skills you learn in one fighting game, can be transferable to another game, even with a game that has entirely different mechanics. It’s much like learning to play CS at a high level and then playing COD, it’s an entirely different game, but you’ll pick it up VERY quickly after awhile.

7. I’m going to try out SFxT, just because it looks interesting and does look like a fun game. However if it ends up being a retarded game, competitively dead, or terribly imbalanced, then I’ll continue to focus on the games that I enjoy to play.

8. No, you are not. You can use whatever controller you’d like, as long as the rules of the tournament say it’s okay. In general, you can use anything you want. A pad, a hit box, joystick, a toaster with buttons on it, as long as you don’t use the ‘turbo’ function…which is universally banned at all tournaments and probably all of your casual sessions as well. Keep in mind that major tournaments, such as Evolution, do not allow wireless controllers of ANY type, due to the fact that it can interfere with the console’s operation. To be sure, ALWAYS check the rules for any tournament you go to. Assume nothing.

I hope you continue playing SF4, improving yourself, and I wish you the best of luck.

First Note: There’s a “Newbie Saikyo Dojo”, and this thread would most likely rather belong there.

No, it doesn’t. Really, no. Poker or something, maybe. Chess, no.

People are playing it. Mind that the Community is split 2-3 part (XBox, PSN, PC). Still, you should have no problems finding different people at any time.

Yes there are a lot of easily executable easily countered “cheese” strategies. Yes you have to learn how to counter them. This doesn’t take long though, is mostly a hassle for characters you never ever play against.

Yes there is, but it’s very difficult. The stick is worth it, offline is really cool if alone because you’re actually meeting up with people rather than just sitting in front of a screen, so you’re losing out on a big part of the experience, but if you’re deadset on not buying a stick and there’s literally nobody else in your area playing it and no friend you can pull in, online can still teach you a lot (particularly if you don’t play ranked but instead Endless sessions with a set group consisting of people stronger than you)

More or less, yes. SF has been out for a while, the hardcasuals dropped it by now, so pretty much everyone you meet will have at least some kind of knowledge. When you win your first match is less decided by your pace of improvement but by how quick you get lucky to get paired against someone else that just picked the game up.

Not sure what you mean by glitchy. I’ll assume you mean the tilted halfcircle motion of the Chicken Wing (Rekkukyaku). And I’ll assume that by glitchy you mean “difficult to execute”. Yes, it is difficult on pad, and yes, it’s supposed to be comparably difficult to input (however, nobody sat down and said “muahaha! we’ll make a skill that’s going to ruin pad users!”). If it doesn’t come out, practice - it takes a while. If you meant something else, please clarify.

You don’t have to buy new games if you don’t want to. People still play SFII to this day. Also, people completely dropping old games happens rarely (mostly when a sequel is released) - the games are diverse enough that someone who eg buys the soon-to-be-released SkullGirls won’t suddenly stop playing StreetFighter. If anything, this is an issue for smaller companies, but not for bigfishs like Capcom. How many Shooters are there released per year and do you think this will suddenly cause people to stop playing BF3?

Definitely not. The SF4 playerbase will probably take a noticeable hit, but nothing to worry about, and people will come back at some points (see above). Gems, Pandora and lotsa sparkles makes this game target of heavy criticism, and while a lot of people will buy it anyways, I doubt it will ‘ruin’ SF4.

No. You can use anything, as long as it’s not wireless (and even then it’s sometimes allowed, check tourney rules).

There’s no such thing as cheese…there’s only “this game is broken”.

Wait, was that legit? If it was I need to get my sensors checked because that OP is filled with all types of trolling buzzwords.

this sounds a lot. have you never played any other fighting game before, even just by beating the CPU?
or probably you played against much better players. if so this is normal and keep doing it. Or you probably have an issue with the gamepad and a stick would be better (I use a keyboard for the PC version). My record against better players is usually 2 wins-20 losses, not just in SFIV.

What is Cheese you speak of?

1. The game has been out for several years, only die hard fans would still be playing it. Population is bound to drop even more among the casual crowd when Soul Calibur 5 comes out.

2. What isn’t full cheese now a days?

3. Yeah but it depends more on the person

4. No

5. No, your probably mixing up his grab into his kick

6. People don’t stick with the same game per year though Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive series don’t make remakes if that’s what your looking for.

7. It’s not the only game coming out, your better off just waiting for the remake if interested

8. No but I wouldn’t be surprised

Kinda like chess, you have to think ahead, and have to know your matchups, like how you need to study up on which moves to use based on the chess opening being used. There is no such thing as a “cheese move” like in chess the “scholars mate” only works on people who don’t know how to counter it, a “flowchart ken” only works on someone who knows not to jump forward over a fire ball, or try to stand on top of a downed flowchart ken (I hope after 125 games you are not jumping over fireballs and eating that low sweep still, are you?
As far as stick vs. Pad, learn both. Nothing worse than being at someone house and them saying “hey I heard you are good at street fighter” then handing to a controller you don’t know how to use. If you think using a stick makes you magickly better, I know some pad players at the Michigan Ranbats that will teach you otherwise :slight_smile:

Yeah. Doesn’t really matter. People in Michigan play on whatever. Plenty of pads and arcade sticks. Expecting to see a diversity at the tournament tomorrow too.

OP, ignore everything in Reebok’s post.

It depends where you live. There are maybe less than 50 active players in my country but there’s virtually always someone online 12am.

It’s full of all sorts of strategies. Things that may be effective or annoying at low levels of play don’t necessarily work at high level though. As you start out you’re going to be annoyed by tick throws, x-ups, mashed special moves and wake-up Ultras, but once you start getting better they’ll be much easier to deal with.

Yes, just practice. But playing offline against people is much, much better. You’re more likely to get tips and feedback on your gameplay. Controller doesn’t matter, but more people use sticks.

It obviously depends on who you were playing against, but if you’re new to fighting games you can expect results like that against people who’ve been playing for a while.

If you mean the spinning flame kick, then yes. Sort of. You can actually do it by just wiggling your control from left to right very quickly and then pressing kick. It has nothing to do with stick vs pad though. If you’re talking about his overhead flip kick though, then no, it’s not “glitched”. You just have to practice it.

If you find a game you like and a group of people (online or offline) you enjoy playing the game with the game will last you for many years. Many people still play 10+ year old fighting games regularly.

Nope. And even if many people did, there are enough people to keep most of the newer FG titles (including SSFIV) alive for a while. Besides, many players like to play multiple games. There’s no reason you can’t do that either.

Nope. The most important thing about tournies is that you make an effort to attend them.

Where are you located?